The National Marine Manfacturers Association (NMMA) and Boating Writers International (BWI)recently announced this year's judges for the 2011 International Boatbuilders' Exhibition and Conference (IBEX) Innovation Awards taking place October 17-19 in Louisville, Ky. One of the judges will be Houseboat Executive Editor Brady L. Kay.
The judges' committee is made up of BWI members who perform product testing throughout the year and have expertise in marine OEM and equipment. Joining the Houseboat magazine editor as a judge at this year's show include:
- Committee Chair Alan Wendt, past editor of Marine; CEO, Getaways!, and Adventures magazines; contributor to TalkoftheDock.com.
- Zuzana Prochazka, editor, TalkoftheDock.com; technical editor, Latitudes and Attitudes; freelance for publications including Sea, Sail, and Yachtworld, Lakeland Boating, and DIY Boatowner; president, BWI
- Frank Lanier, accredited maine surveyor; public speaker; and contributor to numerous publications including Sea, Practical Sailor, Lakeland Boating, and Southern Boating
- Susan Canfield, accredited marine surveyor; technical writer; and Wooden Boat School Instructor
- Roger McAfee, former lawyer; contributor to Pacific Yachting, Sea magazine, Southern Boating, Lakeland Boating, ShowBoats International and Dockwalk; past president of the Metal Boat Society
- Patricia Kearns, former ABYC technical assistant; contributor to DIY Magazine; founder and CEO of Marine Experts Group; maritime consultant; and frequent speaker at IBEX
The NMMA and BWI will recognize up to 13 new products at IBEX 2011, plus one Environmental Award. Exhibiting companies must have their products submitted by Sept. 20 for consideration.
IBEX runs from Oct. 17-19 at the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville, Ky., and will host more than 500 OEM and aftermarket exhibitors. Innovation award winners will be recognized during the annual IBEX industry breakfast Monday, Oct. 17, from 7:30-9:30 a.m.