We had the chance to chat with Ken Vance from Elite Boat Sales about some of his motivations behind working in houseboat brockerage. It's clear that houseboating is a personal passion of his. Read what he had to share about his experiences below!
1. How did you get into the broker business?
A friend referred me to State Dock when they were preparing to venture into the brokering of boats.
2. How long have you been in the business?
I started over nine years ago.
3. What's the best thing about houseboating?
Having the capability to enjoy a different “lake front property” every time you go out.
4. Can you share an inspiring customer story?
I was lucky enough to be part of a crew that delivered a houseboat from Pickwick Lake, Tenn., to Mobile Al, then all the way to Tampa, Fl., via the intercoastal waterway. The total time was about two weeks—traveling, food, sightseeing, experiencing problems and then having the bonus of going across the Gulf in open water was absolutely the best!
5. What marina do you keep your boat at?
At State Dock on Lake Cumberland, Ky.
6. What's the best thing about selling houseboats for a living?
Being able to meet fantastic people and their families, helping them choose a major purchase to enjoy their leisure time, and building relationships and sharing the great times in boating as time goes on.
7. What song best describes you?
Oh wow—Many kinds of music I do enjoy—but I guess out on the water, I really like a variety of island songs, especially by Kenny Chesney.