Looking for a great snack to have on board your houseboat? You could always have chips and salsa or you could get even fancier with a tasty ceviche. This is easy, tasty, and the perfect thing to snack on while you enjoy the lake. Plus, if you’ve been doing any fishing, it could be the perfect opportunity to enjoy your fresh catch.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 pound fresh fish of your choice cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups fresh lime juice
- 1 medium white onion, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium-large tomatoes (about 1 pound), chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- Fresh hot green chiles (2 to 3 serranos or 1 to 2 jalapeños), stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted green olives (manzanillos for a typical Mexican flavor)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (optional)
- Some salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice or 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large or 2 small ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- Tostadas, tortilla chips or saltine crackers, for serving
Now for the fun part: how to make it.
- First you combine the fish, lime juice and onion in a good size bowl. Be sure to use enough juice to cover the fish because the acid from the lime juice cooks the fish. If you don’t have enough, you might end up with unevenly cooked fish.
- Then cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for around 4 hours (or at least until the cubes of fish don’t look raw anymore). Next you drain the fish and onion.
- Now mix the tomatoes, green chiles, cilantro, olives and optional olive oil together in a large bowl. Then stir in the fish and onions. This is where you season it with salt according to your own liking. It usually takes about ½ a teaspoon.
- Then, add the orange juice or sugar, and stir in the diced avocado. Ta da! You’re finished.
Now comes the best part: enjoy with your friends and family. Have fun and be safe out there!