View Full Version : Reverse Hook Cup Propeller

12-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Has anyone tried the Propco RHC propeller? They claim to have up to 200% more reverse thrust, and supposedly work great to get a houseboat off a beach, and stop it quickly when maneuvering. Thought I'd get your imput before I shell out a few bucks. Thanks.

12-13-2012, 10:50 AM
We have them on our 60 hp HT outboards. Can't say how they work compared to the regular props-- or how they work with an experienced skipper, but they seem effective to us, given we have much to learn about docking with finesse.

12-13-2012, 01:03 PM
My boat originally came with the reverse cup props on both 90 horse Honda outboards. Previuos owner replaced the starboard with a typical old prop, for some reason. I actually can tell a difference between the 2 engines' performance the reversed. One of these days when I have some extra money sitting around, I'm going to buy the matching prop and replace the starboard again.

Cove Seeker
12-13-2012, 07:05 PM
I've run the Propco props on a 14x54 twin IO houseboat...definately a difference. The other advantage is you can get very low pitch to get the engines in the operating range.

12-14-2012, 10:10 AM
I use them on my boat. A friend of mine (an engineer) did a head to head test with brand new Mercury and Propco props. He used a GPS to measure forward and reverse speeds for the two props at various throttle settings up to WOT. Going forward, the two props had almost identical speeds - within margin of error for measuring methods. But in reverse, the Propco gave more than twice the reverse speed at some throttle settings. The smallest reverse speed improvement with the Propco props was around 180%. It looked to me like Propco's claims of reverse thrust improvements up to 200% were true. That's when I became a believer.

12-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks, guys. I will try one in the spring when I have the urge to get under that rear overhanging deck! It's cold and dark in there right now.

09-11-2015, 03:45 PM
Nice post helps me alot thanks.

Frantically Relaxing
09-23-2015, 09:58 PM
I've run the Propco props on a 14x54 twin IO houseboat...definately a difference. The other advantage is you can get very low pitch to get the engines in the operating range.

This might not be popular with most, but phooey on 'operating range', especially with a houseboat. At least OUR houseboat...

Our boat has a pair of 120hp Merc 4-bangers/Alpha one drives pushing it around. When we got it, it had 16x9 pitch Michigan props on it, not a bit of cup to them. They got the boat to 9.9 mph once, at about 4200 rpm. Maneuvering with those props was a joke, forward OR reverse. I started looking into reverse cup props to help with the problem, but never did buy any.

So one day a couple of years into owning the beast, I put the props in a bucket of water mixed with a little muriatic acid to help break down the calcium deposits. Then I forgot about them... whoops!

So, at the next boat show I find a prop dealer, and I tell him I need new props. They didn't sell RC props. Ok, anything in a 16x9 or 11 maybe? Yes, we have a 15-1/2 x 11, but we'll have to order them in. Fine, I'll take a pair...

About a month later I get a phone call- No 11" pitch props available, would I consider a 13"? We can tweak them to around a 12..." Well, boat season was close, so I said yes...

Best decision I ever made. Know what happens now when I reverse a 13" prop? The boat actually MOVES! And right smartly! Same for forward, push down those throttles and the boat does something!

NOW-- as for "operating range" -- yeah, right- ;) -- I can get these props to maybe 3400 rpm. But guess what? At that RPM the boat goes 9.9 mph, just like before. Only just like before, I never do that cuz it's just a waste of gas. But the cool thing that happened is, my 7 mph cruise speed RPM dropped from 3100 rpm to 2400---

-- And guess what? It uses less gas than before, probably get 1/2 mph gallon better now...