PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Hook Cup Propeller

ShoreBound
12-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Has anyone tried the Propco RHC propeller? They claim to have up to 200% more reverse thrust, and supposedly work great to get a houseboat off a beach, and stop it quickly when maneuvering. Thought I'd get your imput before I shell out a few bucks. Thanks.

Amelia
12-13-2012, 10:50 AM
We have them on our 60 hp HT outboards. Can't say how they work compared to the regular props-- or how they work with an experienced skipper, but they seem effective to us, given we have much to learn about docking with finesse.

GoVols
12-13-2012, 01:03 PM
My boat originally came with the reverse cup props on both 90 horse Honda outboards. Previuos owner replaced the starboard with a typical old prop, for some reason. I actually can tell a difference between the 2 engines' performance the reversed. One of these days when I have some extra money sitting around, I'm going to buy the matching prop and replace the starboard again.

Cove Seeker
12-13-2012, 07:05 PM
I've run the Propco props on a 14x54 twin IO houseboat...definately a difference. The other advantage is you can get very low pitch to get the engines in the operating range.

Endurance
12-14-2012, 10:10 AM
I use them on my boat. A friend of mine (an engineer) did a head to head test with brand new Mercury and Propco props. He used a GPS to measure forward and reverse speeds for the two props at various throttle settings up to WOT. Going forward, the two props had almost identical speeds - within margin of error for measuring methods. But in reverse, the Propco gave more than twice the reverse speed at some throttle settings. The smallest reverse speed improvement with the Propco props was around 180%. It looked to me like Propco's claims of reverse thrust improvements up to 200% were true. That's when I became a believer.

ShoreBound
12-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks, guys. I will try one in the spring when I have the urge to get under that rear overhanging deck! It's cold and dark in there right now.