PDA

View Full Version : need a how to suggestion

dalehollow
02-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Last year after a total kitchen make over, I purchased a half dozen 1st alert water alarms. Super sensitive, I refined them by placing the sensor on towels increasing the target area 10 fold,

those under the hull with hatches closed will never be heard, as there the volume is not near as piercing as a normal smoke detector any thoughts on a radio shack type amplifier I could put in line, perhaps get one alarm top side, each unit has perhaps 8 ft. between sensor and alarm.....

unit uses a 9 volt batt.

GoVols
02-03-2014, 05:57 AM
Open the device up and find where the wires are attached to the internal speaker. Solder a small speaker wire to the same connection and then you can run the new wire to where ever you want an additional speaker located. You can probably buy a small speaker from Radio Shack or you could just rip apart an old handheld radio or alarm clock.

I did this with alarm clocks as a kid.

dalehollow
02-03-2014, 07:44 AM
Open the device up and find where the wires are attached to the internal speaker. Solder a small speaker wire to the same connection and then you can run the new wire to where ever you want an additional speaker located. You can probably buy a small speaker from Radio Shack or you could just rip apart an old handheld radio or alarm clock.

I did this with alarm clocks as a kid. thanks Vols,

I also posted this issue on an electronic forum site, one suggestion was similar, it was splice into the existing lead make the lead long enough, thus the alarm part could be moved topside, Ill keep all posted, these small units are remarkable, IM hoping to get one inside the engine compartment as well,

Endurance
02-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Rather than buy speakers, i am wondering if you could just tie to the speakers on your above-deck alarms. It might take some trial and error to see if each unit has enough oomph to power multiple speakers. If it works, it would be similar to the interconnected three-wire smoke alarms you see in homes.

dalehollow
02-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Rather than buy speakers, i am wondering if you could just tie to the speakers on your above-deck alarms. It might take some trial and error to see if each unit has enough oomph to power multiple speakers. If it works, it would be similar to the interconnected three-wire smoke alarms you see in homes.

Endurance wouldn't it be nice for a universal detector smoke fire co2 water, outside/inside alarm WIRELESS .... hardly a major dock today doesn't see some type of incident annually that could have been prevented...... Look out shark tank

GoVols
02-04-2014, 06:57 AM
Some guys on my dock installed wireless systems that are connected to the internet. If they detect something wrong, it not only sounds an alarm, but will send you a text message and e-mail. Now, if only our Wi-Fi at the dock was reliable.......