PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol Free Gasoline

Tony B
03-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Is there a difference in older gasoline engines (1986) whether I use ethanol free gas or the regular stuff.
I'm sure this has been covered before but I'll ask it again for the latest info.

Thanks in advance.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
03-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Your engine might like non-ethanol better but it's kind of a mote point, if you travel, because is not available in most places. Shell still provides it in some places (Lower Alabama) but it's scarce in other areas.

You probably won't put enough hours on your engines to see any effect no matter how far you travel.

easttnboater
03-17-2014, 07:49 AM
The engines themselves - not really. Some of the stuff getting the gas to the engines - older rubber fuel lines, older rubber parts in carbs, older fiberglass fuel tanks, ... - maybe.

GoVols
03-17-2014, 03:08 PM
For years, I worked very closely with powertrain engineers and was responsible for purchasing for all the rubber seals, gaskets, and hoses in a major auto company's engines here in the USA. I can tell you that E-10 is harmful to older engines because ethanol is corrosive to the rubber throughout the fuel system.

Number of hours you're putting on the motor doesn't matter much, if you're running E-10 gas - it's the amount of time the rubber is exposed to the E-10.

Don't do it! Just don't.

Ike
03-26-2014, 09:41 PM
If you are running an old engine with old fuel hoses you should upgrade them anyway to newer USCG Type A -15 hose. It is alcohol resistant and meets all the epa requirements. Have the carb rebuilt with all new gaskets and other components and you should not have a problem. My 1972 Sea Ray with a Mercruiser 165 runs fine on regular E-10 gas. But don't let it stand in the tank for long periods of time. Run it through and burn it up. If it sits you will get phase separation (the alcohol and fuel separate) and that will cause all kinds of grief.

JTAlberts
03-27-2014, 02:27 PM
If you are running an old engine with old fuel hoses you should upgrade them anyway to newer USCG Type A -15 hose. It is alcohol resistant and meets all the epa requirements. Have the carb rebuilt with all new gaskets and other components and you should not have a problem. My 1972 Sea Ray with a Mercruiser 165 runs fine on regular E-10 gas. But don't let it stand in the tank for long periods of time. Run it through and burn it up. If it sits you will get phase separation (the alcohol and fuel separate) and that will cause all kinds of grief.

Speaking to Ike's point here, you can take a look at my blog and see just how crappy Ethanol can turn a tank full of gas. It is a lesson I learned harder than it should have been. With 2 x 90 gallon fuel tanks and faulty gas gauges, I filled my tanks a lot. In the end, I haven't traveled on my boat very far. I could probably do an entire season off 90 gallons if not less. After replacing my tanks this year I am going to convert my fuel system to running off one tank and if I need I can switch to the other.

dalehollow
03-28-2014, 06:42 AM
For years, I worked very closely with powertrain engineers and was responsible for purchasing for all the rubber seals, gaskets, and hoses in a major auto company's engines here in the USA. I can tell you that E-10 is harmful to older engines because ethanol is corrosive to the rubber throughout the fuel system.

Number of hours you're putting on the motor doesn't matter much, if you're running E-10 gas - it's the amount of time the rubber is exposed to the E-10.

Don't do it! Just don't.

so what are your thoughts on this Blue additive, (some type of enzyme additive ) IM hearing a lot about .....It treats approximately 120 gallons of ethanol at 6 ounces? (before I buy another case lol)

OLD HOUSEBOATER
03-28-2014, 06:49 AM
Almost all boaters have been running E10 for years with out trouble. Really, the only people that seem to have trouble are the owners that have "Dock Queens".

These people may run their boat once or twice a year with no maintenance. They then cry about the gas that has been the tank forever with no treatment.

This is an old problem that is in fact rare today.

GoVols
03-28-2014, 07:43 AM
Dale,
I've used the Startron enzime treatment in my tanks for the last 3 years. I bought it originally b/c it's less expensive than the Stabil brand. I researched it a lot and have seen nothing but positive reviews. I found it least expensive at Wal-Mart, but it's always sold out, so if you find it, buy it. Where are you buying it by the case and for how much a bottle?

JTAlberts
03-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Almost all boaters have been running E10 for years with out trouble. Really, the only people that seem to have trouble are the owners that have "Dock Queens".

These people may run their boat once or twice a year with no maintenance. They then cry about the gas that has been the tank forever with no treatment.

This is an old problem that is in fact rare today.

I will be the first to admit that is what happened with my boat last year. The gas was still from the year prior and sat for way too long. My Carb got gummed up and just couldn't hold an idle.

It wont happen again as my marina is now Ethanol free, however I also wont be filling my tanks so much.

dalehollow
03-28-2014, 06:40 PM
paying through the nose at wal mart,..... teasing about a case, i have 2 containers on hand same brand one is more concentrated, home lots of engines 100 acres, everything has an engine

pirate
04-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Most Marinas have non ethanol, I do, Outboards cannot run it. Most all Marinas inland have it. There are gas stations all over that have it and sell more here in this area than the other. My truck gets 20% more milage with it.

GoVols
04-09-2014, 07:49 AM
That's a good point Pirate, fuel mileage ratings for passenger vehicles are established using pure gas, not the E-10 junk. This accounts for the frustrating fact that one never realizes the published ratings on a car's window sticker.

42gibson
04-09-2014, 05:00 PM
That's a good point Pirate, fuel mileage ratings for passenger vehicles are established using pure gas, not the E-10 junk. This accounts for the frustrating fact that one never realizes the published ratings on a car's window sticker.

my wife bought a 2014 ford escape front wheel drive with he ecoboost 4 cyl (huge mistake) it was published 21 city/32 highway. actual milage 17 city/21-24 highway.the dealer told us to complain to ford or file a complaint with the bbb against ford but not them.....what a deal!
:mad:

pirate
05-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Gas stations are selling both and going back to non ethonal as the best seller. Most marinas now in the South are going back to Non ethanol. It eats 2 cycle outboards alive, not to mention any 2 cycle chain saws etc. I will NOT SELL Ethonal Gasoline and do not put it in my cars. The Manual on my 04 t-bird says aviod the use of it. My old cars from the 50s and 60s sure do not need it. Some States such as Alalaka do not have it at all. Seems several articles are now showing studies that it is far worse on the enviroment that non ethnol. We need things like they used to be dial your octane at Sonoco and you could get 115- 145 if you went to the airport. Here is a link for non ethanol stations all over the country. My F 150 gets 25% better milage with the good stuff. http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp