PDA

View Full Version : 40' Cruise-A-Home ... Great Loop?

keithj
03-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Any thoughts about whether or not a 40' Cruise-A-Home could handle the open water sections (like say, the Gulf) of the Great Loop with a reasonable margin of safety?

Thanks,
-keith

GoVols
03-25-2014, 07:13 AM
Any pictures of the boat available? Post 'em!

When I was down in Destin, FL, we took a dolphin / harbor cruise. I was amazed to see an aluminum hull 80' Sumerset docked in the harbor. Later that week, I went to West Marine for some supplies where I got to talking to the sales clerk about that houseboat. Turns out, he and a small crew were commissioned to sail that boat from TX to Destin so the owner had a boat to party on at Crab Island. Small world! This boat is your typical widebody HB without a big ocean-going bow to take the wave. The clerk told me that was the scariest trip he'd ever been on and will never do it again. When they got out into the open water, large cruisers would fly by and swamp the front porch of the boat. They ignored some weather alerts b/c they thought they were in the clear and nearly ended up abandoning ship at one point due to bad weather. They had the CG on standby and wore their lifejackets all through the storm. The boat never took on water, but got pushed around like a fat kid on a playground. It pitched so much that dishes spilled out of the cabinets onto the kitchen floor. In the end, the boat arrived in-tact and the crew learned a valuable lesson.

DitchRider
03-26-2014, 10:29 AM
We'd do the trip on our 50 Gibson but you can damn well know that we'd pick our weather windows with great care and would likely convoy just for the extra margin of safety

keithj
03-26-2014, 03:58 PM
Unfortunately, the one I was looking at sold. It was one of the few produced that had a front cuddy. Just so you can get an idea of what the design looks like, I took this picture from a blog site of one for sale.

Hopefully I got the picture to attach!

-keith

DitchRider
03-29-2014, 08:57 AM
We're starting to look at a boat to replace our 50' Gibson.. Just looking for something a bit larger to be homebase for a decade.

We're looking at a Fantasy 85.

http://knot10.com/boat-details/?BoatID=4477897

BTW.. There is a nice 47 Gibson down here in FT Lauderdale that would be an option. The guys been trying to sell it for years. You may be able to lowball

42gibson
03-30-2014, 05:51 AM
We're starting to look at a boat to replace our 50' Gibson.. Just looking for something a bit larger to be homebase for a decade.

We're looking at a Fantasy 85.

http://knot10.com/boat-details/?BoatID=4477897

BTW.. There is a nice 47 Gibson down here in FT Lauderdale that would be an option. The guys been trying to sell it for years. You may be able to lowball

that is one sweet boat !!!