PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Transmissions

JTAlberts
03-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Well, I am getting both transmissions rebuilt this year. This is the thing I have dreaded most. I have to cut some supports out of the inside of the boat so I can lift the transmissions up and out. If not, I would have to remove the generator and then each engine to get them out. It appears that this was done before on the port transmission as a strut was already cut out. Since the engines currently, and I put emphasis on the word currently, run without issues I don't want to pull them. I figure that if I am pulling the engines I will just get them rebuilt so that I don't need to pull them later. With the corrosion issues I had, my port side strut is shot and needs replaced, the starboard is in better condition but needs replaced as well. I am also going to repack the stuffing box for this as well.

So my questions are as follows:

1. What are your opinions on the engine situation? Just pull the tranny's or do it all?
2. What are some of the areas that I need to be aware of that I am not thinking of?
-I will be having the transmissions rebuilt at the company that purchased Paragon. They are giving me a pretty decent price for the work. I hope I can talk the tech into working for cash on the side to help put them back in.
3. Even though I plan on getting someone that knows what they're doing to reinstall them, what should I expect? I am expecting a large PITA.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
03-24-2014, 06:29 PM
Why aren't you pulling the engine/transmission as a unit? You don't have to do anything with the engines, just bolt the tranny back on and drop it back in the hole. youll save your alignment that way.

JTAlberts
03-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Eyeballing it, it doesn't look like they can come out in 1 piece. I will have to take some measurements.

Dumb question but how do I keep my alignment if I am taking the transmission off after removing as one unit? Or are you suggesting I get it rebuilt while still attached?

OLD HOUSEBOATER
03-25-2014, 06:30 AM
The tranny is pined to the engine. It ends up in the same place. Alignment is determined by the engine mounts to the boat.

JTAlberts
03-25-2014, 06:40 AM
I spoke to a guy that used to work for Kingscraft. He said they put them together and then put them in the boat. I will have to remove the generator at that same time, however I wanted to get it worked on anyways. It really needs a tune up.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
03-31-2014, 05:31 AM
BTW why are you gettiing the transmissions rebuilt? they should be good for 3 to 4000 hours.

JTAlberts
03-31-2014, 07:54 AM
Starboard: Gear Dragging, Failing to engage at times, Fluid turns black quickly and smells burnt.
Port: Leaks a lot, Failure to engage at times.

The port is in the better shape of the two, but it leaks more and more even with the additives you recommended before.