PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tanks - portable

Tony B
04-12-2014, 05:46 AM
I bought 4 new fuel tanks recently. The typical Wally World 5 gal. plastic gas jugs so I can carry an emergency supply of about 16 gals.
I use gasoline. The new tanks do not have vents. Great idea, no fumes escape - initially. Looks like all of the fumes will escape at the same time when the tanks explode from the pressure inside. These things really bloat.
QUESTION: Is it safe to assume that there is some form of pressure relief if the internal pressure should get real high?

Ike
04-13-2014, 07:45 PM
No it is not. store them out of the sun in a well ventilated place. loosen the cap occasionally.

BananaTom
04-14-2014, 06:19 AM
I keep 75 gallons in my shed, in those red plastic cans. For emergency generator usage at the house.

They do expand and contract allot.

When they expand, I let the air / pressure out, and then recap them.

Then they no longer "bloat", but instead get "skinny"

GoVols
04-14-2014, 06:22 AM
I have 4 of them as well. When they're empty, I leave the cap on loosely to prevent them from getting skinny. When skinny, they hold less fuel whenever I try to refill them. Mine don't hold gas long b/c I usually dump it in the boat once I get to the dock.

Stmbtwle
04-14-2014, 09:57 AM
If they expand and contract enough, eventually they will develop cracks in the plastic and the most volatile parts of the gas will leak out. BTDT. What's left will make for a hard-starting engine. Keep them in the shade as much as possible, but DON'T put them in the cabin or engine room.

I'd go with Vols, whenever you refuel, put any gas from the cans into your tank and then refill the cans, so it stays fresh. I think you're better off NOT venting them.