PDA

View Full Version : Caulking/Sealing

Tony B
04-19-2014, 05:06 PM
What product do you guys and gals use for caulking and sealing overhead hatches and windows?

42gibson
04-20-2014, 05:49 AM
life caulk, you can check out their products @ boat life.com

Bamby
04-24-2014, 07:25 AM
My windows are secured on the exterior surface by a parameter of screws. I went with a caulk tape about 1/2 in. in width that I picked up at a RV supply store for mine. It was tan in color and about a half in in width and simple to apply to boot. Remove windows clean both surfaces apply tape to parameter reinstall window. Do not over-tighten initially just run all screws down lightly and then go around again and torque down until the gasket material can be seen squeezed out and it's done. Then wipe off excess with puddy knife.

easttnboater
04-25-2014, 09:43 AM
Bamby hit on another point. I had some minor leakage around one of my windows So, I decided to go around and tighten up all of the perimeter frame screws. All of them took at least a half a turn, some a turn and a half. That solved the leak. I guess movement and expansion/contraction over the years just loosened them some.

Potis
11-03-2014, 01:16 PM
I like the tape idea as well, but for caulking I also like to use Sika-Flex A1 (polyurethane). If you do use a polyurethane, be sure to clean off any slightest bit of silicone. The two are not compatible at all.