PDA

View Full Version : Can't get a freaking break

JTAlberts
06-20-2014, 06:35 AM
New boat came up from Cincinnati yesterday. Somwhere along the way, the generator kicked on. It is now toast! So I was debating to either get it rebuilt or put a new one in sometime in the future. The boat made the decision for me.

GoVols
06-20-2014, 07:42 AM
Was it being trailered or was it being sailed up to you? If a crew sailed it up to you or trucked it for you, their insurance should cover it.

JTAlberts
06-20-2014, 12:37 PM
It was trucked to me. I called my insurance company for some guidance. The driver of course offered little information on what the standard process for that would be.

GoVols
06-20-2014, 01:16 PM
I'm guessing the gen overheated and melted itself? I wonder why it didn't have an overheat shutoff feature. I was told my Westerbeke has that safety feature.

Tony B
06-20-2014, 06:47 PM
Go Vals

Tomorrow, we will be driving to Nashville to see Elvis Costello at the old original Grand Ole Opre.

Are you and your boat anywhere near the downtown area?

JTAlberts
06-20-2014, 07:02 PM
Here is a picture of it. On a positive note, it appears my insurance company is going to take care of it.

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q359/jtalberts/Marinette/20140620_191205.jpg

Miller Tyme
06-23-2014, 05:44 PM
7.5 Kohlers like yours had a demand start option on them ( no longer allowed ), it would have tried to run when there was a demand ( battery charger, frig, ect) there is an over temp switch on it but it must be bad ( on the side of the head) or did it burn up because it just kept cranking over.

Either way dead is dead, the good news is than carcus will make someone happy as I see several parts on there that are no longer available from Kohler and can only be gotten from scrap generators like this one.

GoVols
07-01-2014, 11:45 AM
It seems your break came in the form that your insurance company is covering it AND you'll be getting a new generator! Not bad 'eh?

GoVols
07-01-2014, 11:47 AM
Are you and your boat anywhere near the downtown area?

Hey Tony! I'm sorry I missed this message. We're located on Percy Priest, not Old Hickory, which is likely where you were. I hope you guys enjoyed the show!

JTAlberts
07-01-2014, 05:08 PM
7.5 Kohlers like yours had a demand start option on them ( no longer allowed ), it would have tried to run when there was a demand ( battery charger, frig, ect) there is an over temp switch on it but it must be bad ( on the side of the head) or did it burn up because it just kept cranking over.

Either way dead is dead, the good news is than carcus will make someone happy as I see several parts on there that are no longer available from Kohler and can only be gotten from scrap generators like this one.

What I don't get is why it didn't try to start when it was on the hard or pulling it out.

Miller Tyme
07-01-2014, 06:19 PM
What I don't get is why it didn't try to start when it was on the hard or pulling it out.

Hard to say, but if the insurance is going to cover it you will be ahead of the game. I had a 7.5KW Kohler for about 10 years and liked it alot, easy to work on, but I now have a 12.5KW Westerbeke and it beats my old Kohler hands down.

JTAlberts
07-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Here is an update for you. The insurance company is cutting a check today and sending it to my house. I now have to decide if I really want the new Generator..... I will get the new generator.

easttnboater
07-09-2014, 11:48 AM
That was quick. Are you going to replace it with the same?

JTAlberts
07-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Westerbeke 8.0 is what was priced out. The Kohler is cheaper however from the reading I have done it runs at a higher RPM. They also say it is louder.

Frantically Relaxing
08-01-2014, 11:52 PM
What likely started it was water. Rain, humidity, whatever- We had a Winnebago a few years ago, and if you drove it in the rain, the generator would start itself. But my favorite story is when I changed the ignition switches on my flybridge right after we bought the SkipperLiner. The same night it rained, and the starboard engine started itself up... scared the bejeezus out of us! And while I was trying to figure out how to shut it down, the port engine fired up! All because the cheap ignition switches got wet and closed the circuit to the starters...

Stmbtwle
08-02-2014, 06:18 AM
One of the pleasures of owning a boat... there's always something to fix!

GoVols
08-07-2014, 06:48 AM
But my favorite story is when I changed the ignition switches on my flybridge right after we bought the SkipperLiner. The same night it rained, and the starboard engine started itself up... scared the bejeezus out of us! And while I was trying to figure out how to shut it down, the port engine fired up! All because the cheap ignition switches got wet and closed the circuit to the starters...

I would have been calling a priest to come an peform an exercism on my boat if it did that! LOL!

Stmbtwle
08-07-2014, 02:34 PM
After reading a few other posts like that, I started putting my engine in reverse after shutting down. It won't crank in gear.

JTAlberts
08-07-2014, 05:45 PM
After reading a few other posts like that, I started putting my engine in reverse after shutting down. It won't crank in gear.

Not a bad idea.

easttnboater
08-08-2014, 06:23 AM
One of my engines has a hot weather dieseling problem, I always shut it off in gear.