PDA

View Full Version : expenses continue

GoVols
07-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Well, after spending $1,700 on 12.5KW Westerbeke BEG generator to get it up and running again, I decided to replace the 2 built in fuel filters. One was a fuel water seperator type and was easy. The second was a spin on type that's attached the "gas denser." Well, the upper part of the fuel filter is screwed into a fitting on the copper pipe that had threads above the copper pipe's fitting as well. See that, I figured I had to back the nut off the upper part of the fitting - W R O N G ! ! ! I twisted the stupid copper pipe fitting straight off! Another $300 later and I have a new part back on the generator and it's up and running again.

Last weekend, we arrived late at the HB after dinner to find the cabin awefully hot. The thermostat didn't have any power, so I check the breaker and nothing was tripped. G R E A T ! The next repair has already begun! I dug into the control panel for my marine air and immediately see a burned up circuit board.

Now I'm working with my boat's manufacturer and Dometic to try to get the parts overnighted to me so I might be able to sit inside the boat this HOT holiday weekend. Parts and freight will likely run me another $800 for this, but I can do the labor myself.

So damn tired of crap breaking all the time! :mad:

42gibson
07-02-2014, 03:27 AM
i'd be happy to trade you repair bills. our boat got water in the roof and we didn't notice it now we have to replace the entire roof this winter for a cost of 15,000. the insurance company sent a surveyer down to look at it and decided the yellow pine roof was salt treated lumber,what an idiot.he also has o experience on houseboats and had never even been on one.

captmark
07-02-2014, 12:21 PM
B-O-A-T = Bust Out Another Thousand

easttnboater
07-02-2014, 02:37 PM
I feel for you. We all have one or more of these types of stories. As I like to say - you have to pay to play.

DitchRider
07-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Dude. just keep repeating to yourself that other people envy us.

If they only knew the truth.

JTAlberts
07-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Dude. just keep repeating to yourself that other people envy us.

If they only knew the truth.

Agreed. My friends think it is great until they hear the stories.

42gibson
07-03-2014, 05:38 AM
oh I agree with you all, if you don't have the money for the constant upkeep and sometimes huge repair bills its best to just watch them from the shore.

BananaTom
07-03-2014, 09:21 AM
B-O-A-T = Bust Out Another Thousand

Times the length of the vessel

GoVols
07-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Got my HVAC repaired on 7/3, just before my 5 guests arrived to stay on the boat all weekend with us. We had 9 people total the whole weekend and had a good time.

I swear, I can't bare anything else breaking right now. My nerves are shot at this point. I told my wife I love the boat when it works right, but if someone were to offer me a good price on it, I'd seriously consider selling it today! Not even sure I want to visit it this weekend out of fear I'll find something else broken when I get there! LOL!

OLD HOUSEBOATER
07-08-2014, 03:03 PM
The next owner won't have problem 1 for at least 5 years.

JTAlberts
07-08-2014, 09:00 PM
The next owner won't have problem 1 for at least 5 years.

Unless I bought it.

easttnboater
07-09-2014, 12:51 PM
You would have problems if you bought a brand new one. It is always something. I had to replace one of the drive oil reservoirs. No big deal, but why does a plastic container and a sensor cost $85?

Tony B
07-12-2014, 04:46 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems. By saying "That's boat life" doesn't ease the aggravation and the wallet pain.
Those of you that haven't been there yet, you will be.
That not wanting to go to the boat for fear of "What's next?" is something I went through this year in Gulfport, Ms. After everything was fixed, I was still scared to venture off again.
When I got 1/2 way up the Tenn-Tom Waterway, I had another minor problem - it's always something. Fortunately, Pirate knew someone that got me squared away.

Your problem would be more frustrating since it didn't even happen on the water.
Eventually, everything will settle down, at least that's what I try to convince myself.

Gibson42lc
07-13-2014, 08:03 PM
I too am frustrated with mine. Couldn't go out this weekend since motor is not running. Went and spent 4500 for a nice runabout instead of fixing houseboat simply because I'm tired of spending money on it to watch something else go wrong

Stmbtwle
07-21-2014, 06:51 AM
If I ever build another houseboat I don't think I'll even have an engine. Just push it around with the fishing boat.

captmark
07-21-2014, 07:28 AM
I did the math........

Over the last 7 years we have owned our 1979 houseboat, total annual expenses for buoy rental, hauling, launching, winter storage, insurance, licensing, fuel, upgrades, and repairs has averaged $2,000 a year. In the season from May to end of Sept we are on the boat on average 18 days. A lot of those days included socializing with friends.
Our 6 day trip to Cancun last year for our family of 4 cost me $7,800.
Our 5 day trip to Las Vegas cost me $5700.
The 7 day Caribbean cruise we took in 2012 was a bargain at a grand total of $6,100 and that is only because we drove an exhausting 17 hours each way to catch the boat and back.

In my book, the houseboat is a superior bargain.

captmark
07-21-2014, 07:32 AM
If I ever build another houseboat I don't think I'll even have an engine. Just push it around with the fishing boat.

There is a guy at our lake that does that. Pulls his around with a jetski. Actually, he doesn't do it himself; he has to have one of his kids or friends do it ----- the DNR keeps an eye on him ---- he's not allowed to drive a car or boat do to his drinking. They caught him towing his houseboat with a jetski a few weeks ago and brought him back up the lake in cuffs.

Amelia
07-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Feeling your pain. We've been replacing the 2x12 header, or whatever you call it, around the boat just below the top deck. It was sold as treated, IIRC, but all but two of them are quite rotted, and it's a pita to paint, trim, and replace them. Truly aggravating to have to rebuild stuff when there is still so much left to build in the first place. I must admit envy watching my neighbors out cavorting and splashing and towing their kids around on floaty toys, while we are trying to get our boat in shape enough just to go for a ride. On the other hand, we've had some grand coolish weather for at least being aboard and being rocked to sleep. And many complimentary remarks about the partly finished and still-unplumbed, but pretty galley. The good news is that thanks to a full-time work schedule, Our Hero can afford to buy boards and paint. The bad news is that he's spending so much time at the office that there's no time to work on the boat.

Stmbtwle
07-23-2014, 06:32 AM
Yes I've been chasing rot too for the past few years (one of the pleasures of a mostly wooden boat). Good news is that since I BUILT the boat, I know how to fix it.

The hard part is finding those darned "round tuits". As I get older, they seem to get scarcer.

Amelia
07-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Yup! :D Ain't it the truth'

Stmbtwle
08-01-2014, 05:15 PM
One of the dubious pleasures of having an engine that will run for 40 years is that parts can be hard to find, and when you do find them, they're expensive. :(

Frantically Relaxing
08-02-2014, 09:47 AM
I guess I'm getting off lucky--

We bought our SkipperLiner in June 2006. My yearly slip fees were $600 until 2 years ago when a new owner bought the harbor, since then $900. I pay about $40 a month for power for 6 months. I burn less than 100 gallons of gas a season...

Maintenance- a few bucks for oil changes and pink antifreeze every year. I've replaced the impellers once, they were already on the boat when I bought it. I've bought one pair of props for $120 each. Full bottom painted once, $600 for paint, borrowed a steam cleaner to help with prep. Partial bottom paint once, $400. Painted the hull and topside, $700 ($500 was labor because a friend needed the money). Paid $160 for 165' of cheap outdoor HD carpet for the top, still have enough to do the top 2 more times.

Repairs done: Had to remove and replace a 3 x 6' section of roof that rotted via invisible cracked gelcoat (courtesy of a PWC dropped on the roof by the PO), whole repair cost me about $200. Had to replace one starter, $130. Had to replace a plastic plumbing Tee in the basement, and a water faucet. No other repairs in 9 seasons needed to the engine, outdrive, generator or cabin. I DO have repairs and maintenance to do once I get the boat pulled (been in the water 3-1/2 years)-- Starboard drive needs a hydraulic hose, and the gimbal bearing is starting to make a bit of noise. I'll probably change both bearings and u-joint sets. I'm going to change the risers on both engines. The roof is getting stripped and resealed with 2-part roll-on EPDM. And the big project, sandblasting and refinishing the hull (which I'll be doing most of myself)...

My new dock neighbor bought a 5 year old Chaparral Signature 270 cruiser earlier this year. He's already spent over $7000 in upgrades, maintenance and repairs on the thing. I have absolutely NO complaints with my houseboating expenses! :)

Ike
08-11-2014, 10:12 PM
One of the dubious pleasures of having an engine that will run for 40 years is that parts can be hard to find, and when you do find them, they're expensive.

Tell me about it. My Sea Ray is 42 years old and has the original engine, never rebuilt. Fortunately it's a rather common GM 250. The made millions of them and parts are readily available, even marine parts, but they aren't cheap.

Welcome to the hole-in-the-water club!

Stmbtwle
08-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Mine is an old Perkins... 1000 hrs since rebuild. Runs great but does need a bit from time to time; of course everything marked "diesel" is that much more expensive. Finally sent the bad piece back to TAD (who built it for me) and they replaced the part, for about half what the local shop wanted. The engine and I are both happy.