PDA

View Full Version : will try to sell boat soon

GoVols
10-27-2014, 07:46 AM
We've thoroughly enjoyed our houseboat since we bought it in 2011. Since then, our kids have grown a little and are now involved in sports that are taking up the majority of our time that would otherwise have been allotted to lake time. We're simply spending too much money on our houseboat for it to be used as a day boat, so we're going to try to sell it and see what happens. :(

After we sell it, we'll let the dust settle and evaluate buying a good size cruiser that will be less costly to keep at the marina and less to clean when we finally visit the lake. Probably look into something with a large enough cabin to spend some nights on occasionally, but that'll be easier to take out for quick cruise. With our busy schedules, our big HB is just too much boat.

Hopefully I won't lose my butt selling it. It seems the market has returned and I've been told it's a seller's market again b/c so many manufacturers failed over the last several years. That and people have some play money again. I'll keep you guys in the loop on how things go.

Endurance
10-27-2014, 08:33 AM
It's funny how changing family needs dictate the boat we own. I raised my family at the lake with a ski boat, a tent, and a wife that supports an adventuring family. If the weather didn't look good for a tent trip, we would just move to a week that looked better.

Now I have married kids that live between 700 and 3,000 miles from home. We have to plan our trips months ahead so my kids can buy plane tickets home. We take those trips rain or shine, so it's nice to have a place to get out of any weather that would put a damper on a tent trip. Most of our trips still have sunny weather but we also enjoy watching a summer storm from a safely anchored houseboat.

We will miss you around here but I am confident you will find the market stronger than when you bought your boat three years ago.

BananaTom
10-27-2014, 08:48 AM
Of course, this is the worst time of year to sell a boat. Spring is better, and will bring you more money.
However, the cost of keeping it through the winter, verses selling it for less now, may offset the costs.

Second Best Day in a Man's Life is Forthcoming.

BananaTom
10-27-2014, 08:51 AM
You may want to take a look at Adventure Craft.
There are few used for sale, and when they do pop up, the sell fast.
Since they are a complete air cooled system, many use them as a camper on land while traveling, and then a houseboat on a Lake.
Best of both worlds for a couple.

http://www.adventurecraft.com/Advantage/trailerability.html

GoVols
10-27-2014, 11:22 AM
I don't think it'll be a happy day when I sell her. I cried when I was writing the obituary, I mean, the sale description.

easttnboater
10-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Let us know how it works out. The houseboat market is still pretty spotty from what I can tell. Priest is not that big of a houseboating lake. I am not sure if that will work for you or against you.

I hate to say it because many owners seem to be jerks, but pontoon boats are the best bang for the buck that I see out there.

GoVols
10-29-2014, 09:04 AM
Compared to other lakes, like Center Hill, Percy Priest doesn't have as many houseboats, but there's starting to be a lot of them out there now. More often than not, there's another houseboat in a cove with us whenever we go out now. One of the guys on our dock really likes having his HB on Percy. He buys old boats, renovates them, and then sells them on Percy b/c he said he gets a lot more money for them on that lake b/c the inventory isn't there already. Now that I posted it for sale, my wife is thinking twice about selling it. She started to cry when she read the listing as well. We'll see what happens. I might just take it off the market to keep it.

My wife's office moved to downtown Nashville and now we must move houses to better accommodate her commute to work. So, a new house is in order and ours is going on the market this week. Crazy times!

SinOrSwim
10-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Yuck. My wife and I have had the same discussion. My kids are 9,5 and 3 and sports really takes a ton of time. The only positive we have is we live about 5 to 10 min from the marina. But, with work and kids I went a little over one month at one point this last summer when I didn't step foot on my boat. Our marina is crazy expensive too. A slip for a 60 ft boat is approx 6000 and we only boat from May to October. That isn't including all the extra stuff like haul outs, launch, winterization, winter storage etc. If they keep raising the prices a decision is going to have to be made. It's one thing to afford it and deciding what is fair and reasonable.

Good luck on the sale. If I decide to sell mine, my boat neighbor has already told me he wants it. lol decisions, decisions.