PDA

View Full Version : Kerosene heater

Potis
10-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Has anyone ever used a portable kerosene heater on your houseboat? We have in wall LPG heater but at times we could just use a local portable heater plus we could use out on the deck etc. This would be only for times on our mooring or beached with proper ventilation, not when underway of course.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
10-28-2014, 08:15 AM
Not in over 50 years. Portable propane heaters sort of mde them go away.

easttnboater
10-28-2014, 03:17 PM
I did some back in the day - they tend to stink up the boat. But as OHB said, a portable propane heater is better.

Stmbtwle
10-28-2014, 03:34 PM
I have one and use it. It does stink when first fired up, but after it gets hot I don't notice any smell. But DO NOT leave them unattended, and use a carbon monoxide alarm.

Kerosene is getting hard to find though (at least around here) and is expensive. Propane is more available, but I can't speak for cost vs kero.

Potis
11-02-2014, 06:57 AM
Decided to stick with propane due to cost and safety. Thanks for the advice.

Ike
11-02-2014, 11:48 AM
safety??

I hope you followed the advice for the kerosene heater. Do not leave it unattended and get a carbon monoxide detector. I would also add get a gas detector and mount it near the floor and make sure the space where you use the heater is well ventilated.

Fork-lift-king
11-03-2014, 02:35 AM
Ventless LP heaters make a lot of condensation.

Potis
11-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Fork-Lift-King
you are right about the condensation. Our main heater semi-recessed in-wall propane heater and it does cause more condensation. We are looking to this new portable one for times when we don't need to heat the entire cabin, or for use outside on the deck. We use desiccant moisture absorbing material in the boat when we are not there to help keep down the condensation problem in winter, maybe I'll just keep them out even when we are onboard if using the heater.