PDA

View Full Version : Im new and would like to introduce myself....

Mountaineer 67
11-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Hi there, I just wanted to take a few and tell you about my family and our Houseboating lifestyle. My name is Mike and my wife is Korrie. We have three children, and we all live on the Mountaineer at MM 101.1 on the Mighty Ohio river (Riverhouse yacht club Moundsville WV) The Mountaineer is a beautiful 67' pluckebaum coastal cruiser. We have lived on a 38' burnscraft for 8 months a year for the past few years, and just acquired the Plucky in July. We bought the boat with a blown engine and contracted with Dennis Pluckebaum (One of the most stand up Guys in the Marine industry) to install a new engine and perform other maintenance. Just a few weeks ago, my wife and another couple got in a rental car, drove to Prospect Ky and took possession of our boat. Twenty Minutes after Dennis finished sea trials to check out the new engine we headed north. We left Tuesday evening at 8 and travelled home 500 miles to moundsville and got here early Friday morning. The trip deserves it's own post in itself and I will tell more about my 500 mile 2 1/2 day maiden voyage more later on. I just wanted to say hi and tell you all a little about ourselves. We plan on traveling a couple thousand miles starting in the spring and we just wanted to start making lifelong boating friends we would otherwise maybe never encounter.

Mike and the Crew of the Mountaineer

Endurance
11-03-2014, 12:03 PM
Welcome, Mike and crew. You have found a great bunch of people even though we have varied ways to use our houseboats. I would love to see pictures of your 500 mile adventure!

OLD HOUSEBOATER
11-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Mike We lived aboard 7 years at Joe Wheeler Marina, in Rogersville Alabama. We had a 55 Plucky. Nothing better out there. ENJOY!

42gibson
11-03-2014, 12:05 PM
welcome mike, were downriver from you in Marietta mm172 just up the Muskingum about a mile.we have a 44 Gibson executive which is in Cincinnati for the winter getting a new roof. you will absolutely love that pluckebaum!!!!

Mountaineer 67
11-03-2014, 01:21 PM
We took a trip down your way in mid July. We went up past you on the muskingum to the first lock. It was quite an experience turning around in that white water with a single screw 38' kite.

42gibson
11-03-2014, 06:43 PM
We took a trip down your way in mid July. We went up past you on the muskingum to the first lock. It was quite an experience turning around in that white water with a single screw 38' kite.

that's a bad area by that lock at devola. we lost a prop,shaft and rudder,the rudder made a 10 in gash through the hull on our old boat 2 years ago right between the channel markers. we don't go north past the city ramp anymore...lol

BananaTom
11-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Welcome, and looking forward to the 500 miles story

JTAlberts
11-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Mike,

I dock at Warwood. We have never officially met but have talked a couple times when you had the shop. Welcome aboard! Mick showed me some video you took when bringing your boat up river. Looks great.

Mountaineer 67
11-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Hi JT, I remember talking to you about your Kings Craft and getting the bottom taken care of. I read your blog and see that you conquered that obstacle and many others since. My wife and I plan on staying on the Mountaineer at least until Jan. I hope we don't get the deep freeze we had last year.... Yikes. I am working on building a trailer for the mountaineer as speak. I had my guys drag out a bunch of steel and we are about to get started. I don't know how to post pics or video. Otherwise I could put up the video of us pulling the boat out at Pluckebaums launch with an old WWII military truck. JT, I would love to have you and your wife down on the boat here in the near future. Maybe you guys can hook up with Mick and Denise and come down for a visit this weekend. We didn't buy a boat this big to keep it to ourselves.

JTAlberts
11-04-2014, 03:51 PM
That would be awesome. I have since moved on from the Kingscraft. I have a 41ft Marinette Seacrest houseboat now. The best thing I have found for uploading pictures is Photobucket. You can upload straight from your phone and paste in the links. I would suggest uploading videos to youtube and paste in the link.

boatlover
11-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Mike

Welcome to the site and the Plucke family. You are right about Dennis and Teresa, Great people. It's fun watching them trailer a 60-85' boat like it's a 20' runabout (been there). Please share some details about the boat ( year, motors, where you found it, Pics).

I have a 91 70' Pluckebaum up river from you on the Beaver River at ( OH mm 25). We have been past Moundsville quite a few times and have put about 4000 miles under the keel.

If you have any questions, want to chat about Pluckes, or are heading toward Pittsburgh and need a place to stay please contact me.

Dave
Here is a picture of my boat and this pic is on the Pluckebaum Website.

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad290/picabo1/Plucke/1983625_1.jpg (http://s944.photobucket.com/user/picabo1/media/Plucke/1983625_1.jpg.html)

JTAlberts
11-05-2014, 09:13 AM
Those boats are just gorgeous. If I had the $$ and the place to dock it I would be all over it.

Amelia
11-05-2014, 03:40 PM
Hey, Mountaineer family! I'm going to be looking forward to a little vicarious houseboat travel, when you get your saga and photos uploaded. We live on the western end of the Albemarle Sound of North Carolina, and our homemade houseboat is a perennial work-in-progress. One of these days....someday... in the mists of future time, we might actually go farther than 25 miles from home, but it won't be this year...again. So vicarious boating it is. It seems somebody forgot he had retired to become a full-time boat-builder, and was lured back into medicine. Temporarily, of course. Now I'm lucky to grab him for an afternoon repair project, never mind the ludicrous thought of actually finishing the thing. Nonetheless, we're having a good time close to home with our strange boat, and before long, it will be a floating Christmas guesthouse full of exuberant grandchildren. But I'm starved for maritime adventure, so do publish the sagas.
Is The Loop in your plans? If so, mark our charming Inner Banks of NC town on your chart for a stop to rest and recuperate. Will cook for good stories of long-distance houseboating.

Mountaineer 67
11-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Hi everyone, I have yet be able to get photos uploaded. We haven't stayed at home since we brought the Mountaineer Home a month ago, and Korrie just now got the WiFi hooked up on the docks. Korrie is a Journeyman electrician, I will enlist her to get some photos up on here... Aren't I lucky. Anyhow I at least want to tell u guys about the boat. It is a 1980 67' bay master. She has twin 3208 turbo cats @ 260 hp. She has straight drives with 3:1 twin disc transmissions, 2 1/4 shafts and 24x32 pitch props. She tops out at 22 mph @ 2800 rpm and cruise nicely at 1900 rpm @ 14 mph. She has two gennys, a 20 kW Koehler and a12kw onan. She holds 600 gallons of fuel and 550 gallons of fresh water. The boat was completely remodeled inside and out 2008-20012 including new exterior paint, new windows, all new interior, new canvas, electronics, plumbing, all new electric ( 100 amps). New five ton water furnace, all new carpet, appliances, etc. etc. The previous owner had bought the boat in Missouri, took it to Louisville, and proceeded to redo the entire thing, used it a few times, was forced to move to Florida, put the boat up for sale, came back and took it to the boat races at Madison and blew one of the engines up. He dropped the price considerably and next thing you know I am the new owner. I can't wait to tell you guys about the journeys we took trying to find the perfect houseboat,and all the craziness that led up to us getting the Moutaineer. We looked at tons of boats, and put money down on two others that fell through ( thank God). The purchase of the Mountaineer almost fell thru at one point and was hindered by a shady broker and a guy who didn't have enough money to purchase her but wanted to keep us from getting it. He went as far as to go to the loisville yacht club where the boat was docked and tell dock neighbors he had purchased the boat.... Lol. Thats a story in itself.... When we showed up and started washing our new boat they though we were hired by that duche bag to detail his new boat. Lol. Any how we had Dennis install a remanned 3208, new bottom paint, straighten props, new motor mounts, and several other items. Dennis is the man when it comes to anything boating, and that is coming from a guy that has been In the Marine industry since I was a teenager. He gave me quotes of the work he was going to perform, and when it was all said and done every bill I received was lower than what he and Teresa quoted me. Pluckebam works on and services all kinds of boats big or small and I recommend him highly. I will never forget his laughing his ass off at me as I was backing out of the slip just about smashing about five other large yachts as we started our maiden voyage home. It was Tuesday evening and we had to be home by the weekend. You see I never had piloted anything even close to this beast, and now was faced with driving it 500 miles up river starting at dusk. There is a lock master down there at that first lock we came to who is probably still laughing his ass off at my antics In His lock chamber. We learned how to use radar real quick and were ever so thankful for the Carlisle and finch spot light ( we nicked named it the mechanical sun). Tug boats thought we were another tug at times because of the awesome light. Things smoothed out near Cincinatti and we started to get the hang of piloting such an awesome machine. We kept logs and took notes all along the way. We started out on this journey three days late, and pretty much drove straight through to ripely OH where we stopped for four hours, we left there and went straight to Phil's holiday point marina in Franklin Furnace Oh ( that place is awesome in my book and Phil and his Mechanic are great, we are planning a trip there next summer) we stayed at Phil's for 12 hrs and then drove straight thru the last 240 approx miles ending up at home port Friday morn. I guess we avg 15 mph and got nearly a mile to the gallon never shutting down the generator except at Phil's holiday point. I had never even seen a radar unit before, and after using one would never travel again any long distances at night without one. It clearly showed the channel markers, tow boats, shoreline, and prob saved us on a number of occasions. I must also mention that I have to give thanks and credit to our Heavinly Father- their were too many close calls and coincidences that all ended In our favor thoughout the journey of all the trips looking for our new boat all the way down to pulling into the docks at home port after traveling in 70 to 80 degree dry weather the whole way, and having a thirty degree temp drop, and a huge wind/ rain storm that started fifteen minutes after we got home. From the time I signed the sales contract to getting the boat home was the longest three months of our lives. Our children never even seen the boat until we got home. They were overjoyed to say the least when mom and Dad finally got the Mountaineer home. Abigail is 13 Zayne is 10 and Natalie is also 10. They have grown up on the water and enjoy the boat life as much more than Korrie and I. We can always get them to mind their manners by threatening them with having to go and stay at home for a while.
Well I'm starting to ramble now. I can't wait to share more of our boating story. I have owned a marina and have rebuilt no less than a dozen house boats including new stringers, new transoms, engine and drive conversions, etc. etc. in my short life ( I'm 38) I have had drag boats, hydroplanes, wood boats, cruisers, etc and currently have a 24' single engine offshore boat that will run close to 90mph. My entire life has revolved around boats and water. I hope I can contribute some of my marine knowledge to help others on here in their quests to get on the water.

Mountaineer 67
11-05-2014, 05:56 PM
http://images.boats.com/resize/1/61/54/3186154_0_070220111434_1.jpg Engines

Here is the write up on the internet add for the sale of the boat. It is still online. You can find it by just doing a google search for 1980 pluckebaum baymaster. There are a lot of pictures of the boat on the add in case you wanted to look before I figure out how to post them. lol

This is undoubtably the finest Pluckebaum Baymaster on the water. Absolutely PERFECT!! The owners purchased her in 2007 and then proceeded to completely rebuild the entire interior. All new appliances, beautiful plush new carpet, new wall coverings, new thermal pane windows, new fuel tanks, new water tanks, new drapes and window treatments, new geo-thermal 5 ton air and heat system, new paint, new ceiling headliner, new furniture, new beds and spreads, new electronic flush heads, new flat screen HD TV's, new high-end furniture, you name it! And all first class stuff! She has two generators, the upgraded turbocharged Caterpillar engine packages, straight drives, (not V-drives), for better speeds and durablity.
Owner has over $400k invested. Your benefit.

Total Power: 260

Tanks

Fuel: 600
Fresh Water: 555
Holding: 30

Generator

Kohler 20 KW generator with 841 hours and Onan 12 KW generator with 3266 hours

Galley

Stove - New 4-Burner smooth top GE
Oven - GE Advantium with microwave
Microwave - Jenn-Air
Dishwasher - GE Quiet Power
Ice Maker - Qty 2 (1 in refrig and 1 on Flybridge)
Wet bar on flybridge
Disposal in galley - New 2008
Counter top - Custom Formica Charcoal

Electronics

VHF - STD Horizon at lower station
Denth Finder - STD Horizon Digital Qty 2
Engine Syncronizer - Glendinning Sync dual station
Search light - Carlisle Finch with dual remote
GPS - Garmin GPS/MAP 182C
Radar - JRC Rasterscan JMA2254 with 367 hours
Stereo - Maxima Marine 12V AM/FM
Horns - Air horns buell with 4 trumpets with 110 Volt air compressor pressure gauge at helm
Raytheon Ray350 Loudhailer

Electrical

Dockside cord
50 amp - 220 volt Qty 2
Battery charger - Qty 2 (24 volt and 12 volt)
2 Galvanic isolation transformers
Cablemaster

Deck and Hull

Davit - upper deck
Swim / boarding ladder
Windlass
Radar arch
Anchor and line
Docking lights - in bow
Insulation package
Davit
Dockside water
Fenders
Transom platform
Flybridge
Bimini top - 2 years old with SS frame
Helm chairs - Pedestal Pompanette Captain Chair at lower helm

Mechanical

FW strainers - all systems
Hour meters - Qty 4
Oil changer system
Fresh water wash down
Spare props
Spare shaft
Washer / Dryer - 220 volt
Hot water - 30 gallons
Complete New Geo Thermal "Water Furnace" 5 ton system - New 2007
110 Volt and 12 Volt backup fresh water pump

Accomodations

Staterooms : Aft - Second salon or extra stateroom
Forward - Master queen
SideBedspreads and pillow shams - New 2008
Drapes - New 2008
Headliner - New padded vinyl
Window cornices - New 2008
DVD/CD Surround Sound System Panasonic in salon
Vizio 26" flat screen HD TV in master stateroom with Phillips DVD player
Select Comfort Queen Bed in master
TV's - New 32" Vizio flat screen HD in salon

Heads

Head - Qty 2 Techma Fresh Water Flush
Shower - Qty 2
Exhaust fans - Qty 2
Air conditioning in heads

Additional Info

Complete Interior Refit - Spring 2008
New Thermal Windows - 2007
New Water and Fuel Tanks - Spring 2010

JTAlberts
11-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Seems like the first trip on a new boat is always adventurous to say the least. You should speak a bit on the houseboat you had with the crazy big block in it.

I have to replace my prop shafts next spring. Hopefully I can coax you into giving me some pointers.

Mountaineer 67
11-05-2014, 07:01 PM
No problem Jaime, I would love to help. I still have that boat... It is a 1978 38'x12' Burnscraft. What a sweet house boat it is. It has an 2006 fuel injected 496 mag mercruiser in it. That thing will run darn near thirty mph at 4400 rpm. and even gets better than 1 MPG at full throttle. I have even beaten several "speed boats " trying to race me... that's always fun. I have it put in the back of the shop and we are fixing a couple minor things on it before I put it up for sale in the spring. In June I installed a brand new Westerbeke 7.0 fuel inj safe co generator in it. It has a newer interior, newer 2 ton reverse cycle heat pump, new stainless blinds, nice trailer, and many other new upgrades I cant even think of. I wouldn't hesitate getting in that boat and taking it all the way to mobile bay. Someone is going to end up with one bad A** Burnscraft to say the least.

JTAlberts
11-06-2014, 06:11 AM
I saw you leave the Italian Fest I think. That thing was crazy!

42gibson
11-06-2014, 06:55 AM
very nice mike,you will get years of enjoyment out of her. the river trip is awesome,we took ours down to cinci at the end od September to Washington marine for a new roof and some minor repars and will bring it back in the spring,awesome trip. we took 3 days for our 300 miles trip.we stayed at gallipolis yacht club the first night,fueled at holiday point the 2nd day then on to Shawnee state park for the night,the 3rd night we stayed at manhattan harbor. great trip but we traveled daylight hours only.

boatlover
11-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Screwed up earlier post. Meant to say been past Moundsville and typed Morgantown instead. Guess I am getting old. LOL

Mountaineer 67
11-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Hi Dave, I knew what you meant... I have seen Your boat before in pictures and have heard about it through the boating circles. It sure is awesome. I could t be happier with my Plucky, heck we haven't stayed a night at home since we got back. We plan to head your way several times next year and look forward to hooking up with you. Our dock neighbors have a fifty foot Gibson Wide Body( The Miss Priss) and they have told us about how much they like to stay up on the beaver river when they are passing through.

boatlover
11-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Mike

I am at the Beaver Valley Yacht Club on the Beaver. We offer Complementary dockage to all boaters passing though the area. All we ask is that you would be willing to reciprocate if possible.
We also have 3 functions in the summer, open to all. A Lobster and Shrimp dinner in June and Sept, and a Party/ Regatta in Aug.

I will Pm you personal contact info should you venture this direction.

Hopefully some days we will meet and share the stories behind the purchase of our boats.

http://www.boatlocal.com/bvyc/pages/home

Dave

Mountaineer 67
11-06-2014, 11:05 PM
Well Dave I would be more than happy to take you up on your offer. My family owns a private club ( Close Friends and Family ) named the River House Boat Club. It is located just north of the Moundsville bridge in front of the A-Frame river house. We have approx. 350' of docks. I would be more than happy to reciprocate with your club. My wife has been following along this forum and she said we definitely want to be there for the lobster cook, and the Regatta. We are helping a couple friends get there house boats ready to be able to do some of our shorter distance travelling with us also. We love to travel in our plucky.... I lay awake in bed at night and Dream of the day my wife and I can say "Good Bye everyone one....See you next year....We will call You when we get to the Bahamas". Do you plan on doing any Traveling south next year? Maybe we could hook up and head south for a few weeks. This goes for anyone else on here. It would be cool if maybe there was a festival or club party where a lot of us could get together at next summer. I know at some point next summer we would like to make the trip south to Franklin Furnace OH and hang out at Phil's Holiday Point Marina for a while, and try to hit as many stern wheel festivals, boat club party's, etc. along the way both directions.

JTAlberts
11-07-2014, 12:36 PM
I plan on a few longer trips myself once I get the drive line taken care of in my boat. Right now I wouldn't have the confidence to run it 8 hours straight.

Mountaineer 67
11-07-2014, 01:24 PM
What do you have going on Jaime? Bent shafts?

JTAlberts
11-08-2014, 07:18 AM
That is what I believe to be the issue. The port side shafts rotates but also has an egg shape travel to the while shaft. I hit something after the stern wheel and after that the starboard now has a horrible vibration above 1200 rpms. I figure the props were bent up as well but they look perfect.

Mountaineer 67
11-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Where is your boat at Jaime? On a trailer at Rayland? When were you planning on removal of the props and shafts? Let me know and if I'm able I would come give you a hand.

JTAlberts
11-12-2014, 08:26 PM
It is up at Rayland on 42Gibson's trailer that he let me borrow for this off season. I will probably be doing it next weekend. I am finishing up some mechanical work on a car I am fixing up this weekend and then it is back to the boat.

JTAlberts
11-18-2014, 07:55 AM
Mike,

How was the cold last night on the boat? It was/is freezing out.

Mountaineer 67
11-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Hi Jamie, it has been pretty cold. Thankfully my five ton revers cycle water furnace is keeping up just fine, it hasn't had to kick on the energy electric heat just yet. I added some handrails and some treads on the boat docks to combat ice and snow. Moving home has crossed my mind, but the wife and kids are all about sticking it out until at least early January. I was going to winterize it and dock it at Rayland, but now I have a new plan. I'm going to reconfigure the walkway on the dock and hope for the best. I am still in the process of building the trailer and I'm now looking for an old semi truck or five ton military truck to haul it out. Pulling over forty tons out of the water on the old ferry landing isn't going to be a cake walk, but after seeing it done in Kentucky with our boat, I have hope I can do it as well.

JTAlberts
11-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Hi Jamie, it has been pretty cold. Thankfully my five ton revers cycle water furnace is keeping up just fine, it hasn't had to kick on the energy electric heat just yet. I added some handrails and some treads on the boat docks to combat ice and snow. Moving home has crossed my mind, but the wife and kids are all about sticking it out until at least early January. I was going to winterize it and dock it at Rayland, but now I have a new plan. I'm going to reconfigure the walkway on the dock and hope for the best. I am still in the process of building the trailer and I'm now looking for an old semi truck or five ton military truck to haul it out. Pulling over forty tons out of the water on the old ferry landing isn't going to be a cake walk, but after seeing it done in Kentucky with our boat, I have hope I can do it as well.

As for a lead on a military truck, at the old Beach Bottom corrugating plant there are 4-5 that just sit there and don't move. You might be able to snatch one up pretty cheaply. They are in good shape.

JTAlberts
11-19-2014, 08:12 PM

I can't say anything bad about the Rayland guys. Even though I don't dock there they have been really good to me. They will go out of there way to help you out. If I don't build a trailer or buy Gibson42's, I might store my boat in the water next season at Rayland. That way all I have to do is fire up the engines and away I go for the year. But who are we kidding, I will break something and have to fix it over the winter.

boatlover
11-20-2014, 07:56 AM
Hi Mike. You are overestimating the weight by quite a bit. My 70' weighed 43000 lb w/450gal of fuel when pulled for the survey. Enjoy the winter on the boat. Mine is winterized and shrink wrapped.

Always find it amusing that people think that just because it is a boat that it must be colder than land based.

Mountaineer 67
11-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Dave, I sure am glad you set me straight on the weight. I remember Dennis saying forty five tons.... But I would have to say he prob actually said forty five thousand lbs. I was only off forty tons give or take.... Lol. How do you pull your boat Dave? Do you have acess to a travel lift? Jaime, if I can get all of the junk cars and boats, and jet skis and so on and so forth out of the boat yard over in the back of the shop the heck out of there, I might be able to help you out on removing your boat and storing it in the off season. I might not have to sacrifice a nice fifty foot trailer me and Todd own together to build the trailer for the mountaineer, and we may be able to work something out with you.

boatlover
11-20-2014, 09:46 PM
Mike, Mine is in the water. Last time is was out (2yrs) I took it back to Pluckebaum. New thru hulls, bottom paint, repack shafts, stern thruster, etc. I would love to have the setup Dennis has. There is only 1 place here in Pgh that may be able to pull the boat but I am not sure if they can. It's not the weight but I have heard that the travel lift well is 18'6" wide. With 18' wide boat there would barely be room for the straps. Next option would be in Cinci at Washington marine. I know they trailered a 65' Plucke but the bottom configuration is different and I would not fit that trailer. And if I were that close I would just go back to Dennis anyway.

Curious about your Water Furnace. How it works, Plumbed, size ,location, etc. I have been considering upgrading mine( conventional 4.5 ton/ diesel fired heat). Works fine but going to do some interior referb and the only way to change furnace would be up through the floor. Would hate to put down new flooring and then have to tear it up to change furnace

JTAlberts
11-21-2014, 09:15 AM
Dave, I sure am glad you set me straight on the weight. I remember Dennis saying forty five tons.... But I would have to say he prob actually said forty five thousand lbs. I was only off forty tons give or take.... Lol. How do you pull your boat Dave? Do you have acess to a travel lift? Jaime, if I can get all of the junk cars and boats, and jet skis and so on and so forth out of the boat yard over in the back of the shop the heck out of there, I might be able to help you out on removing your boat and storing it in the off season. I might not have to sacrifice a nice fifty foot trailer me and Todd own together to build the trailer for the mountaineer, and we may be able to work something out with you.

Great! Let me know if you need any assistance. Looks like decent weather this weekend. I am going to try and get all my stuff removed this Sunday. I am really good at tearing stuff apart. It is the putting back together that I need help with. LOL

JTAlberts
11-21-2014, 09:16 AM
Hi Mike. You are overestimating the weight by quite a bit. My 70' weighed 43000 lb w/450gal of fuel when pulled for the survey. Enjoy the winter on the boat. Mine is winterized and shrink wrapped.

Always find it amusing that people think that just because it is a boat that it must be colder than land based.

The only reason I thought it would be colder is I know that my boats have very little insulation. I am not sure what the Pluckebaums have.

boatlover
11-21-2014, 01:32 PM
The only reason I thought it would be colder is I know that my boats have very little insulation. I am not sure what the Pluckebaums have.

(Always find it amusing that people think that just because it is a boat that it must be colder than land based.)

Jamie , That was not directed at you but to non boaters at large. Can't count how many times I have heard people say that when talking about having a boat in the water during winter. lol

The Plucke insulation varies by age of the boat. Most all are insulated, just with different material. Some older ones have fiberglass bat. My boat is fully spray foamed, ceiling, walls, hull down to the chine. only thing not insulated is the hull bottom. Averages 5"-6" thick.

JTAlberts
11-21-2014, 03:10 PM
I know my boats in the past couldn't keep the breeze from a far out of it. I would love to spray insulate my boat but that is a pipe dream. It does have some foam board insuinsulation in the walls currently.

42gibson
11-21-2014, 05:55 PM
I've had 2 gibsons so far(89,91) and neither one had a ounce of insulation. my brothers 88 somerset has no insulation and neither is my neighbors somerset. not all boats are built to the pluckebaum standards sad to say.

Mountaineer 67
11-21-2014, 08:27 PM
Mine is fully insulated with fiberglass insulation. 6" in a lot of places from the roof down to the waterline. The sliding doors in the pilot house leave the biggest room for improvement when it comes to cold air intrusion. Dave my furnace is a five ton water Furnace located just aft of the steps down to the galley in the center of the boat as low as possible. It is configured the same as a horizontal residential furnace. The return is on the side of the furnace facing the bow, and the supply's connect at the end towards the starboard side. It fits quit nicely, and is probably about the same size as your oil furnace. The previous owner cut the side out to install it just before the boat was painted. Same for the new water and fuel tanks. The furnace works great. It has resistance emergency heat which I have yet to use. It is verry quiet, we leave the fan circulating all the time. It goes into the cooling or heating mode, it kicks on a large 1 1/4 suction pump to cool the evaporator and a few seconds later the compressor kicks in. It is verry efficient. The outlet hose is plumbed under the water line so it is quiet as well. I can take some pics and text them to the number you messaged me if you would like.

boatlover
11-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Mike, thanks for the offer of pics but I still have an old flip phone and would not be able to see them. Furnace Sounds like a marine air on steroids. I was wondering about the plumbing requirements. I have a unused 3/4" thru hull but I know now that would not work. Sounds like a great set up but not sure I want to haul the boat to install new 1 1/4" thru hulls. My furnace is in the rear just forward of the engine room firewall.

It's interesting that from the outside the boats look very much the same but when you look deeper the are all very different. I guess that's the custom part.

Mountaineer 67
11-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Dave, I am building my trailer to the same dimensions as Dennis's trailer. Once I get it finished, and get my hands on a 6x6 5 ton military truck I could pull your boat if the need ever arises. I can weld aluminium pretty decent as well. We could trade.... Pulling the boat and helping you with any maintenance, for a few extra lobsters at your yacht club party. As far as my furnace goes, I believe it was originally intended for a residential geothermal installation, instead of river water going through the heat exchanger it was designed for well water. I don't think there is anything marine specific about it. It is basically as you stated, a marine air on steroids. I have had many different types of heating and cooling systems on different boats over the years, and this one is by far my favorite. Of course this is the first one I have owned that has any insulation in it at all. It's nice not having that hint of fuel oil in the air like most fuel oil furnaces do as well.

Fork-lift-king
11-22-2014, 11:56 AM
You might want to check out this truck, KAISER 818 ROAD TRACTOR MILITARY TRUCK, 6X6, MICHELIN RADIAL TIRES, RECONDITIONED BY GOV IN 1998, ONLY 6600 MILES, LOOKS GOOD, OTHERS AVAIL, $ 8500 CALL 606-845-3055

JTAlberts
11-22-2014, 04:34 PM
Mike,

I was at the coop and saw the boat. Looks great.

boatlover
11-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Mike, A few extra Lobsters would be a great deal. Sign me up. lol. One thing is that my bottom configuration is different from yours. My fuel and water tanks are not inside the boat, they are structural to the bottom of the boat in the form of a approx 18"x18" keel that runs up to stairs in the galley (keel tanks). 600gal/w, 600gal/fuel. Some of the other trailers i have seen don't provide enough clearance for the keel. If you are building a copy of Dennis's then it should fit any Plucke.

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad290/picabo1/Plucke/PluckeSurveypics005.jpg (http://s944.photobucket.com/user/picabo1/media/Plucke/PluckeSurveypics005.jpg.html)

JTAlberts
11-22-2014, 08:48 PM
Mike, A few extra Lobsters would be a great deal. Sign me up. lol. One thing is that my bottom configuration is different from yours. My fuel and water tanks are not inside the boat, they are structural to the bottom of the boat in the form of a approx 18"x18" keel that runs up to stairs in the galley (keel tanks). 600gal/w, 600gal/fuel. Some of the other trailers i have seen don't provide enough clearance for the keel. If you are building a copy of Dennis's then it should fit any Plucke.

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad290/picabo1/Plucke/PluckeSurveypics005.jpg (http://s944.photobucket.com/user/picabo1/media/Plucke/PluckeSurveypics005.jpg.html)

The boat doesn't look that big until the guy on the left gives it scale. That is crazy that your tanks are a totally separate piece.

boatlover
11-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Jamie, They are not really separate. What you see on the outside is mirrored on the inside. Figure starting with a long rectangular box that forms the tanks and then weld the hull plating to it in the middle leaving equal parts inside and outside. The benefits are all the weight of fuel and water are low and centered increasing stability. They also free up a lot of storage space where the tanks would otherwise be. I call this space the basement.

In this pic you can see the inside view of the tanks at lower right and part of the basement looking forward.
http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad290/picabo1/Plucke/100_0566.jpg (http://s944.photobucket.com/user/picabo1/media/Plucke/100_0566.jpg.html)

Mountaineer 67
11-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Dave, I have looked at several Pluckys. It is really cool to see how different each one is. I love the room you gained, the low center of gravity, and the boat probably tracks like an arrow with the added keel. What engines do you have Dave? How fast will it go? What is your cruising speed, and fuel mileage? What props are you running? I cruise around 14 mph at 2200 rpm and get roughly 1.2 mpg with twin 3208 cats. Mine are the lowest hp turbo versions at 260hp. The boat tops out at 20 mph. I have straight drives with twin disc trannies 3:1 reduction and 2 1/4 shafts. My props are 24" x 32 pitch 4 blade.

Mountaineer 67
11-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Jaime, did u get to do any work to the boat last weekend? I wish I could help you right now,but I have so much going on. In addition to working with my wife for our real estate company Lyn-Lewis Properties, I am the piping superintendent for HE Neumann Company in the middle stages of a large year long construction project. The most important thing that just came up last friday is my 15 year old step daughters cancer is back, and she only has a few months at most to live. She hasnt been able to do much of anything for the last two years. She has spent over 350 in hospitals. I am working feverishly to try and get her and her siblings and my ex wife and her husband to Disney world ASAP. We are going to be taking her on a Christmas themed cruise on the Mountaineer next week, and I need to get it all decorated up with lights, and Xmas decorations for her Trip ASAP. I really wanted to go all the way to Pitts. but I don't think that is going to work out. We are going to go up and through the Pike Island Lock and maybe venture to Steubenville or so. This boat ride is one of her Dying wishes. She has been so frail she hasn't been able to even make on to the boat yet. I am going to go to extremes to make this happen. She is inviting all of her friends and family to go also. It will prob be her last trip on the water, so I am going to try and make it the most fun I can, even if it is ten below zero. You can read more about her story on her Facebook page- Prayers For Kacie

boatlover
11-28-2014, 07:14 PM
Mike, I have 3208T's @ 320hp. 2 inch shafts, Straight drives. Not sure of the prop size, I will have to look at the paperwork on the boat or look at the spare props. 17 mph @ 2200 rpm @ 1 mpg (I have Floscans). I saw 25 mph on gps at purchase with 400 gal of fuel onboard. I very rarely run it that hard.

pirate
11-29-2014, 10:26 AM
Welcome aboard, i think you will like the sailors on here

Mountaineer 67
11-29-2014, 01:53 PM
Thanks pirate. I liked all the sailers on here long before I joined. I used to read the posts on the old forum all the time. I should have joined years ago. I see you and I have something in Common. I own a Marina also, it is small, but like all Marinas requires lots of work. I couldn't imagine owning more than one, such as yourself. In a couple years, I'm heading your way for an extended stay. Maybe I can get Dave to tag along.