PDA

View Full Version : deck ing material options?

lady samara
12-11-2014, 06:31 PM
hi , I'm in the process of building a 55 foot pontoon boat,
any diy people have any ideas to make a deck, without the use of plywood, my first attempt was on a piece of flat galvanized ribbed metal, I fill the voids with wood chips and resin, what the following layer of a mat and roving, it's too flexible , I'm looking for the most reasonable price solution.
if I use a marine grade plywood as a core, gel coat all sides, two layers on each side, would anybody know the life expectancy of that?

42gibson
12-12-2014, 05:39 AM
I redid 2 pontoon style houseboats and used 3/4 inch marine grade plywood on both. I didn't put anything on the decks except carpet or seal the wood in any way. 1 is 15 years old and the other is 17 years old and still very solid. we now have a 44 Gibson which is in Cincinnati having a complete new roof put on it. they are using some kind of new material that's guaranteed never to rot or warp,i'm not sure what it is but I can check and see. I know its more expensive than marine plywood.

Ike
12-15-2014, 04:04 PM
Use marine plywood, coated with epoxy on all sides, especially the edges. Cover with 4 oz fiberglass cloth. Should last as long as the boat.

Amelia
02-10-2015, 08:53 AM
We put Greenwood XL treated boat panels on our roof, and then painted it with nonslip deck paint. It hasn't worked out well at all, so now I wonder, can I do the epoxy-fiberglass stuff on top of the plywood-cracked paint that's on there now? Thanks!

Endurance
02-10-2015, 12:32 PM
I have a pontoon boat with 1/8" aluminum deck. The thin aluminum works okay because I have 2" aluminum crossmembers on 12" centers. There is outdoor carpet glued down to the aluminum. The carpet is similar to what you'd glue down on a concrete patio. While the carpet over aluminum isn't bad, I am thinking I will remove the aluminum and replace it with composite decking like Trex or AZEK. With close crossmembers, you can use the thinner 3/4" composite decking. I have a friend with Trex on his deck and it is a breeze to hose off. All the sand from the decking washes into the water below. That only works on a pontoon boat since you'd dump a bunch of water into your hull if you hosed down composite decking on a monohull boat.

If I were considering the plywood route, I think I would use HDPE sheets rather than plywood. It comes in 4' by 8' sheets and isn't all that much more expensive than good marine plywood if you go to a plastics supplier rather than buying it in the name brand marine stuff like King Starboard.

Stmbtwle
02-14-2015, 06:39 PM
I decked mine with 3/4" PT plywood and several coats of prime and latex "deck" paint. I've had to repair some rot over the past 15 years but all things considered (including cost) I'm happy with it. If I were to fiberglass it I would NOT fiberglass the underside, any moisture that gets in through screw holes or other penetrations/flaws needs a way to get out.

easttnboater
02-16-2015, 07:37 AM
Amelia,

You should not put epoxy and glass mat on top of peeling paint. I would get 4' x 8' 3/8 in plywood sheets, epoxy and glass them except for 4 inches around the edges, screw them over the top of what you have, then epoxy and glass the edges and then gel coat it.

Or, you can rough up what you have and paint it again. You might ask the Greenwood people what paint they suggest. Treated lumber does not work well with a lot of coatings.

Amelia
04-19-2015, 02:22 PM
I'm now considering reinforced rubber sheeting a roofer suggested. He'd glue it down, and fasten it over the edges with metal edging, then prime and paint it white. It'll be $3000, but the roofer, taking in our white hair, guarantees it will outlast us. :rolleyes:

captrsimon
04-19-2015, 05:16 PM
I'm in the process of doing the roof on our boat. Using a white tpo from menards.

ithersam
09-23-2015, 02:10 AM
Kuai (Resolve): It is required that the culprit's guilt be exhibited in the royal court, along with a sincere and earnest appeal for sympathy and support, with consciousness of the peril involved in cutting off the criminal. He should also make announcement in his own city, and show that it will not be well to have recourse at once to arms. In this way there will be advantage in whatever he shall go forward to.