PDA

View Full Version : Bluewater Boatel-40 foot 1977

Dockmaster
02-01-2015, 07:20 AM
Looking to chat and share experiences with fellow Boatel boaters.
Live in Cincinnati are and cruise the Ohio. I have a friend that has a 35 Boatel also
in the Cincinnati area. Haven't seen many of you out there and like to have someone to chat with about the boat.
It is a Bluewater Boatel Houseboat

OLD HOUSEBOATER
02-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Ahhh the 40 Bluewater. Just a Pretty Boat!

pirate
02-01-2015, 11:32 AM
You have a great boat built by Rockwell. Engines under the bunks and very seaworthy. I sold a few of those.

BananaTom
02-02-2015, 09:34 AM
I always wanted of one of these, handles big water, with the interior room of a Gibson etc.

Dockmaster
02-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Hi Pirate thanks for chiming in, I'm going to post some pics, soon-it is actually the Boatel Houseboat-twin 270 hp. straight drives.
Solid boat. Purchased at end of the year here and really didn't get to enjoy too much. We pulled it for the winter and doing so work to her.
The engines are actually in the rear, I guess that could be a bedroom, but we actually have it as a sitting area. There are twin bunks down below
with 2 full bathes. A heck of a lot of room and all amenities one could want in a boat. Seems like we have been moving up in size every time-but I believe this is it the dream.
Prior boat was a 2880 Carver Cruiser with a 454, that really was a nice boat also, it sold right away - it was very clean and well maintained-never been bottom painted.

Your statement built by Rockwell confuses me a little, I thought the boats were built back then in MN., mainly for the rental boat industry

Dockmaster
02-03-2015, 07:12 PM
I'd bet she measures out to more like 45-solid boat

Dockmaster
02-03-2015, 07:15 PM
I have to agree, although haven't had much, time, experience running it-bid difference from a sport cruiser at 35 mph and done to about 10 cruising, but I must admit I enjoy it
the little I've had a chance to be at the helm. She throws a heck of a wake, weighing in at over 24, 000 lbs dry

Dockmaster
02-03-2015, 07:16 PM
Agreed and thanks-I take that as a compliment

pirate
03-14-2015, 02:14 PM
Hi Pirate thanks for chiming in, I'm going to post some pics, soon-it is actually the Boatel Houseboat-twin 270 hp. straight drives.
Solid boat. Purchased at end of the year here and really didn't get to enjoy too much. We pulled it for the winter and doing so work to her.
The engines are actually in the rear, I guess that could be a bedroom, but we actually have it as a sitting area. There are twin bunks down below
with 2 full bathes. A heck of a lot of room and all amenities one could want in a boat. Seems like we have been moving up in size every time-but I believe this is it the dream.
Prior boat was a 2880 Carver Cruiser with a 454, that really was a nice boat also, it sold right away - it was very clean and well maintained-never been bottom painted.

Your statement built by Rockwell confuses me a little, I thought the boats were built back then in MN., mainly for the rental boat industry

I am sorry, I was thinking of a 40 ft Whitcraft built by Rockwell. Your Boat was really a Botel and it has a more solid bottom than the Bluewater. She is solid and heavy because of the thinkness of the glass. Yes your engines are aft the whitcrat has them under the bunks.

Dockmaster
10-03-2015, 08:47 AM
As we begin for end of season here in cincinnati on the mighty Ohio River, I just thought I'd give update on this year progress.
Before we put in the water this year we sanded and bottom painted, 4 gallon what a chore and over 1k in materials alone
The boat was wet sanded and then 3 step process brought the boat back to life-people think she's a different boat.
I had a custom made swim platform made and replaced, original was damaged. Used company called plastique-added another 10" depth with the teak look. Turned out great
Had a underwater seacock break, right at the threads-no big deal i was there-replaced-this winter I will replace all
Replaced toilet head pumps, raritan expensive Put about 1500 in the old onan generator, but she's running, problem with water pick up while running-will inspect an replace sea cock-hopefully not water pump

We have not had a great summer-flooding and a lot of challenging river levels that limited the boating season.

So for the projects and bad news at hand. Had issues with starboard engine, found to be fuel pump, after 2 attempts of original equipment fuel pumps, installed electric fuel pump-seemed to fix problem till I got to half tank and it would not pump so I had to go to a non gravity feed pump (Push pump) works great so far. Developing engine noise on starboard engine, can't really determine if it is upper or lower. Compression check was not favorable, some 60, 30, and one cylinder at 0-but believe it or not it still runs.
I will be pulling boat at end of month and pull the heads to see what I see and make decision on just doing top end or total rebuild. It will be a major deal pulling that engine from inside the boat, pretty much have to go to bare block.
I do love the room and layout of boat. When running properly she just cruises along great, but certainly didn't plan on engine rebuild.

Dockmaster
05-07-2016, 06:36 AM
As the season is upon us. I am now almost ready to launch.
I had both engines removed and rebuilt-Craned them right out back door after bare blocking them. Found 3 bent rods, one valve pretty decent hole in it (0) compression reason there. 3 pistons were bad, cracked off at edges.
So the work began.
Both engines rebuilt (350 Crusdaers), specs say 270 hp., but I'll be closer to 300 now, which means, I'll be close to 600 hp.
Transmissions were removed and gone thru, nothing major there.
Carbs. rebuilt.
Everything in engines replaced; starters, fuel pumps, alternators, water pumps, etc.
Engine bay cleaned and painted. (While engines were out).
All sea cocks replaced
Removed front air conditioner, (roof top)-had a persistent leak that was driving me nuts to find.-Found some rotten wet wood-removed. Then what to do?? Decided to get rid of it and install Central heat and air and put in skylight-(rooftop hatch). It is giving me a lot more room or flybridge-(still working on completion, but close looking great! I bought a Webasco 16K reverse heat and cool-all the ducts were already in boat. (Another thru-hull and electric runs) So 16K plus my other 13.5K rooftop on rear deck, should give me plenty of ac. as needed.
Still some peddly stuff to do, but looking to launch in next couple weeks-Getting antsy and can't wait to hear those engines!

JTAlberts
05-08-2016, 07:43 PM
Great work! Where are you docking? I was milling around Four Seasons this past weekend looking at boats.

Dockmaster
05-09-2016, 07:23 AM
Rivertowne Marina-I am the very last slip at the mouth of Ohio River.
I am still on the hard and plan on going in within next couple weeks. I'm up on top of hill, shrink wrap still on, want to get it off but finishing up floor and skylight on flybridge.
There is a big 55 foot Bluewater up there also-(twin diesels).
That 38 Carver at Four Seasons sold-that was a nice boat

42gibson
05-09-2016, 02:29 PM
dockmaster

does rivertowne have transient docking? our boat is at Washington marine and the repairs are just about done,we need a dock for a couple weeks around the first of june or so before we bring it back up river to Marietta.

JTAlberts
05-09-2016, 03:12 PM
There is a spot open right next to the Pluckebaum at 4 seasons you could try and rent!

42gibson
05-10-2016, 01:40 PM
There is a spot open right next to the Pluckebaum at 4 seasons you could try and rent!

most likely not putting in till around the 1st of june and that's if the rivers down.

Dockmaster
05-17-2016, 05:58 AM
They don't really have transient docking per say, but you could call Bill Mannis at Rivertown and see if he has room for couple of weeks

boatlover
05-17-2016, 08:48 AM
Dockmaster

I might need an overnight spot for a 70' in Cincinnati. Any recommendations ? Is Manhattan harbor still in business ? (stayed there before)

Thanks Dave

42gibson
05-17-2016, 07:11 PM
Dockmaster

I might need an overnight spot for a 70' in Cincinnati. Any recommendations ? Is Manhattan harbor still in business ? (stayed there before)

Thanks Dave

you may want to call manhatton first and check on the water depth. we were there a year ago and was sitting in 3feet of water and churning mud in the inlet and fuel dock.washington marine said they had a boat stuck in the inlet this year trying to deliver it,they did say that it sold and has a new owner.

boatlover
05-17-2016, 08:51 PM
42gibson

Thanks for the info. I need 4' minimum. Heading from Louisville to Pgh. Should be stopping in Marietta

JTAlberts
05-17-2016, 09:10 PM
Try Four Seasons. If they can fit you, they have a couple of restaurants to choose from. I believe Mountaineer stopped there on his trip back from Louisville.

boatlover
05-17-2016, 09:57 PM
Jamie

I might try them again. I have called them 3 different time's and they never had room. Maybe 4th time a charm. lol. Not sure, we might skip Cincy and go further upriver.

42gibson
05-18-2016, 03:41 AM
42gibson

Thanks for the info. I need 4' minimum. Heading from Louisville to Pgh. Should be stopping in Marietta

when are you making the trip? ours is still in Cincinnati waiting on the river to drop sp we can bring it back to Marietta.

boatlover
05-18-2016, 07:25 AM
when are you making the trip?

Should be leaving Louisville Saturday 5/21

Dockmaster
05-18-2016, 07:39 AM
Manhattan still in busines and I hear they have been dredging, but as said it has been a problem, but river is up right now.
Bill, Operation manager at rivertown has been around for awhile and could have some ideas-like to meet up with on your trip if possible
Rivertown, Bill Mannis 513 533 3000

Dockmaster
05-18-2016, 07:41 AM
Ludlow Brolmley has some transient spots, -He had a big houseboat tied out for awhile last year, food, bar, bands etc. On KY side up river from Anderson Ferry
It on other side of downtown cincinnati- Owner name is Steve

Dockmaster
05-18-2016, 09:08 PM
Ohio River Launch Club - Cincinnati, OH boat slips for rent
https://mooragemarket.com/moorage/8851/ohio_river_launch_club
Ohio River Launch Club has lots of great boat moorage for rent in Cincinnati for boats up to 90 feet. Contact us today for pricing and availability.

Dockmaster
05-21-2016, 05:45 AM
Aargh-put transmissions in wrong sides-they don't work that way.
Had to pull them and reverse, will finish up today and refire and see if corrected
Ran new engines for about an hour, sound great

pirate
05-24-2016, 01:29 PM
I have a 47 ft Botel 1977 twin 440 Crys with V-drives

Dockmaster
06-17-2016, 10:51 AM
Hi Pirate
Finally got it out for an hour maiden voyage-amazing what a repower will do!
Anyway couple questions;
1- Do you know where the fill resorvor would be, my flybridge steering not working-assume that to be the problem?
2- Also where are they hiding the blower motors?
3-What size props are you running?

OLD HOUSEBOATER
06-17-2016, 02:20 PM
Probably on the bulkhead wall in the bilge area.

austa
07-08-2016, 11:30 AM
Do you have any pics, Dockmaster? :)

Dockmaster
07-12-2016, 08:15 AM
tons
do you have a generic set of instructions for posting images/jpeg or files
I have tried in past, but haven't had any luck

OLD HOUSEBOATER
07-12-2016, 09:48 AM
1 Go to advanced

2 scroll down to manage attachments

3 follow the directions

Jolly Time
07-14-2016, 12:58 PM
Rod,

How do you reduce the image size so it fits?

Thanks, Jolly Time

Dockmaster
12-13-2016, 11:16 AM
Pirate on the Boatel have you ever experienced an water seepage or water in walls?
Anyway it;s really weird- I pulled the boat because I couldn't figure out where water was in coming from; appeared to be fresh water so I drain and disconnect all fresh water-clear bilge several times and every day come back to same amount Then I notice on port engine room wall where generator exhaust goes out it is building up with water-strange again-I vacumn out and come back it's full.
I decide to pull boat, as i trailer it out i notice water coming out of port rudder shaft, pretty fair amount which was strange since when i crawled back there behind the gas tank I see no water.
The hull appears undamaged and no holes. Does the bluewater have a hull over a hull so to speak so I am not seeing all the water or? Any ideas from anyone? How and where could the interior engine room wall be filling with water