PDA

View Full Version : Mainas that allow liveaboard?

Charles
02-16-2015, 06:05 PM
The wife and I are considering getting another houseboat as our retirement home. One of the issues (and yes, there are many!) is trying to find marinas that allow 24/7/365 residence. Most I've been able to locate are coastal, which is great if you're on a sailboat, but much less desirable IMO on a houseboat.

Do you know of any freshwater marinas that allow live aboards? I know many marinas tend to look the other way, but I'd rather it was all above board to avoid any sudden eviction notices.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
02-16-2015, 06:25 PM
Don't ask don't tell. We lived aboard at Joe Wheeler in Rogersville Alabama. We never asked the question. Many marinas will have "No Liveaboards" posted.

Nashville area has people living aboard. Many own their slip.

Your honesty is laudable but keeping quiet is golden. If you ask the question in the wrong place you may put a light on some resident liveaboards and cause them to be evicted.

Members if you know of any liveaboard Marinas post here. If you know of any that have liveaboards and don't talk about it , PM Charles directly.

BananaTom
02-17-2015, 05:49 AM
Bahia Mar Marina - Pensacola.

It is nice, located next to The Oar House.

http://bahiamarmarina.convergelocal.com

Not fresh water

Ike
02-23-2015, 07:12 PM
This is a real hot button issue in some areas of the country, especially Florida and the Pacific Northwest. What it amounts to is the marinas don't want the liability. (INMHO) However there are marinas that do allow it. You just have to ask a lot of people to find one. As the princess said, you have to kiss a lot frogs to find a prince.

Amelia
02-24-2015, 10:00 AM
I am pretty sure the Edenton Marina welcomes liveaboards. The water is technically brackish, but only in late summer in dry years. The marina is on scenic little Pembroke Creek (with a marked channel to it) and fairly protected water. This northwest corner of the Albemarle Sound is a lovely place for us to be. It's a historic, pretty, friendly little town, and you'd be more than welcome to come take a look at the marina sometime to see if you and the proprietor can come to mutually agreeable terms. The best part is that even if it's only a dream for us, the rest of the watery world is right at our doorstep.

pirate
02-24-2015, 12:52 PM
The wife and I are considering getting another houseboat as our retirement home. One of the issues (and yes, there are many!) is trying to find marinas that allow 24/7/365 residence. Most I've been able to locate are coastal, which is great if you're on a sailboat, but much less desirable IMO on a houseboat.

Do you know of any freshwater marinas that allow live aboards? I know many marinas tend to look the other way, but I'd rather it was all above board to avoid any sudden eviction notices.

Where do you wish to retire? Smithville Mississippi, will have new covered slips and will allow liveaboards. It will have a resturant, travel lift and be full service. located at mile 377 on the Tenn tom waterway. I will have one in Lebanon Tn close to Nashville TN. 3 in Mobile Al on the River and one on the Warrior River in Al. close to Jasper, Birmingham and Hueytown. It has reaturant will have new covered floating slips travellift the whole works. Take your pick, just call me at 205-435-7294 or email me at eorton@aol.com

BananaTom
02-24-2015, 04:06 PM
Where do you wish to retire? Smithville Mississippi, will have new covered slips and will allow liveaboards. It will have a resturant, travel lift and be full service. located at mile 377 on the Tenn tom waterway. I will have one in Lebanon Tn close to Nashville TN. 3 in Mobile Al on the River and one on the Warrior River in Al. close to Jasper, Birmingham and Hueytown. It has reaturant will have new covered floating slips travellift the whole works. Take your pick, just call me at 205-435-7294 or email me at eorton@aol.com

Aren't "Marina Monopolies" unlawful???

pirate
02-25-2015, 11:07 AM
Aren't "Marina Monopolies" unlawful???

The marinas are here for the pleasure and patronage of the boaters, we provide service and do not discriminate against House boaters. Bring your boat over when you get another and I will fix you right up. Sewage at the dock, wi-fi, cable the whole works with no jackasses allowed. Private marinas. I am very close to finishing all this up. I hope you are well and charged up to sell some Gibson's built for the inter coastal. Great line up of performance boats that are very economical. All made to order. We can set you up as a dealer in Al as Fl has to many laws and expenses. Lets get going.

Tony B
02-27-2015, 12:26 PM
We have been living aboard in Joe Wheeler State Park (NW Alabama) for nearly nine months.
We asked about it ahead of time and it was OK here.
We will be leaving in about 5 or 6 weeks and are more than welcome back - as live-aboards. BTW, there is no Live-aboard fee.
When you read their website, they say you must have an Alabama registration. We told the manager ahead of time that we did not have Al. registration.
She told us "Don't worry about it" and so we didn't. Their are 2 State Police boats in our parking lot and several State Park law enforcement boats here. They have not and do not intend to
ask me about registration. This time of year, my van is the only vehicle in the whole entire parking lot other than state police and park law enforcement. You can't help but to see my Texas plates.
Greatest place I ever been for live-aboards. being alone here, I feel like I own the place. The Lodge is only about 1/2 mile away on the river. Easy to walk to it. Nearest Walmart and Sams Club is 20 miles west of here or another Walmart 20 miles east of here. Not too much here in Rogersvile. Both 20 mile away towns have plenty of shopping.
Also note that the dock I am on and the adjacent dock (also covered) has water and electricity all year long. Look up Joe Wheeler State park on the web. It's actually more impressive that the website.

Tony B
02-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Also note that Pirate's marina was very accommodating. When I head back down that way, I will be staying by his place again, even if only for a weeks rest.