PDA

View Full Version : Ice and snow causing marina to sink

GoVols
02-18-2015, 06:19 AM
We're having a bit of an ice storm here in middle Tennessee the past few days. Somehow our power at the marina has managed to stay on, but flickered in and out a couple of times yesterday. Our dock family has a Face Book page where we notify everyone of events and stuff. On Monday, someone put up an alert that the weight of all the ice and snow on the roof of the marina was pushing the fingers underwater. The liveaboards along the dock, thankfully, went boat-to-boat to loosen everyone's dock lines, which were "pulled as tight as guitar strings." This should prevent the cleats from being ripped off the boats. My power cable was stretched to its max as well. My friends were able to remove the brackets holding my plug to the dock to get the plug some extra slack.

Once the power started flickering in and out, I immediately rushed down to Wal-Mart and bought 8 gallons of winterizing fluid that I used to winterize my house water lines yesterday afternoon.

I was surprised yesterday to see how much of the dock was under water and how close the main walkway is to the water. When I boarded my boat, I had to step up onto the deck that was at hip level - it's normally an even level from dock to deck. The roof has already sank or bent downward around some of my neighbors so they can't get their boats out if they wanted to. I had to remove the umbrella from the patio table on my party top because the roof was about 4 inches away from the top of it! I had to tilt the entire table over to remove the umbrella because there wasn't enough clearance.

This is crazy! I hope the roof doesn't collapse on my boat!

Jakebg
02-18-2015, 09:35 AM
Hopefully that wont happen. Last March I went through a collapse of my marina's roof. The boat across from me sank and mine was supporting the roof. had several boats totaled out. My 1982 50' Gibson must be bilt like a tank, it supported the roof for a week. Insurance replaced my railings and my regelcoated my entire roof.

GoVols
02-18-2015, 01:18 PM
I could go for that! Maybe this won't be so bad after all.

barrenriver
02-21-2015, 05:16 AM
i'm not so sure loosening the dock lines was a good idea....the boats could have helped hold up the marina...I think the rope would break before cleats break off...rather have a broken cleat than a roof on top of my boat

barrenriver
02-21-2015, 01:43 PM
not a good day at Grider Hill on Lake Cumberland
http://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10997320_10204685806079066_1561878136917738945_n.j pg?oh=476d7975ad1176b63a624c8cedc45a50&oe=558C5FCE&__gda__=1431366827_fcfb8e85a45d92b69faa2e933115ef1 3

GoVols
02-23-2015, 06:10 AM
Several of the boats on the dock got their cleats ripped off because no one loosened their lines. You're right though, the dock lines were holding the dock up, to an extent, but the dock is a lot heavier than you think. It's extremely difficult to find people that can weld aluminum with a portable welder.