PDA

View Full Version : 35ft burnscraft, twin 225 outboard conversion

Jaredkemp
06-03-2015, 01:24 PM
I have a 35ft burnscraft with 318s and some rough Dana outdrives. The transom is soft and needs redone. I found a great deal on a pair of 2 stroke 225 mercs. I plan on glassing and reinforcing the transom, adding a bracket an these motors. I haven't seen a houseboat with this size outboards. Will weight distribution be an issue? Is it to much motor?

easttnboater
06-04-2015, 05:25 AM
There are a lot of opinions about putting outboards on a houseboat that had IOs. I will let others go down that path.

I have seen several houseboats of this basic size with outboards. The 225 Mercs are roughly the same horsepower as the 318s, so I doubt they will be "too much motor". However, they will be considerably lighter than the 318s and outdrives and your boat will be bow down unless you put a lot of ballast in the back. Also, you better make sure you reinforce the transom the right way. I would suggest knee braces from the transom to the stringers.

Also, if the transom is soft, then the stringers may be shot as well.

Mountaineer 67
06-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Most burnscrafts only have wood in the center of the transom. You would need to make it full width and add knee braces at all 4 stringers and then use big full size pieces of 1/4" aluminum minimum for the backing plates to the jack plates you will need.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
06-06-2015, 10:37 AM
If the outboards have the high torque lower ends and swing big props your probably good to go. If their for performance boat service all there going to do is cavitate and not go any where.

Your a lot farther ahead to rebuild the 318's. Boat will be a lot more valuable at sale time.

Mountaineer 67
06-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Old Houseboater is right. Rebuild the 318's and enjoy the boat, as opposed to lots of work, tons of unknowns, and boat loads of $$$