PDA

View Full Version : Myacht 2000 4310 Houseboat Need Log Air Relief Valves

gerrynolan
06-25-2015, 05:42 PM
There are 7 chambers in each of the of the two 'logs'/pontoons on my 4310 2000, Myacht, Tracker Marine houseboat. There is a male, coarse threaded, 1/2 inch PVC plug in each of these chambers. They do not allow for escaping air. Why there never was air relief valves installed is beyond me. Looking for 14 valves.

At present load 'booms' are heard 24/7/365 while each of the 14 chambers expand and contract air.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Stmbtwle
06-26-2015, 03:34 AM
I'd talk to the builder before I did anything, you might do more harm than good.

Endurance
06-26-2015, 08:44 AM
2000 is about the time that Sheldon Graber, the founder of Myacht, sold the Myacht brand to Tracker Marine and started his new company, Destination Yachts. My 2000 Destination Yachts 6518 is done the same way as yours. To my knowledge, both Myacht and Destination Yachts use PVC pipe plugs in their pressure-testing ports in each pontoon section. I have never seen it done another way by anyone that builds pontoon boats. You will hear "boom" sounds as the aluminum expands and contracts. It is unsettling at first but gives me comfort knowing that my pontoon sections are well-sealed. You wouldn't want to do anything that would have even a small chance of taking water into pontoon. You also would not want a one-way valve since that could expel all the air when hot could then collapse when cold. I would stay status quo unless you can find a pontoon builder using and having success with relief valves or maybe even vent tubes.

GoVols
06-26-2015, 12:03 PM
I too have those "booms" each morning, but thought it was the fish pecking crud off the 'toons. Expanding and contracing of the 'toons......never thought of it that way, but could make sense, I suppose. Mine only happens in the morning though.

I too have the plastic threaded caps on each 8' section of my the pontoons. Something to keep in mind, if you tear a hole in one of the sections and the 'toon is air-tight, then it won't be able to take on much water. Remove that cap from the top or make it a 1-way valve, it'll fill with water quickly!

gerrynolan
06-26-2015, 03:24 PM
Thanks. Good stuff. Going on 10 years with this boat. What prompted the posting was the marina, somewhat in a 'echo-chamber' type setting, tells me there are times, at the furthest ends of the marina, the 'booms' are almost scary.

Really appreciate the insight regard Myacht and Tracker Marine. Around the 2006 time frame attempts to understand what was going on and contacting Myacht, was denial of ever hearing of such a thing. Folks who have used the boat overnight and not aware of the phenomon, explain it to be, unnerving.

Rainbird sprinklers sells for $2.60 each, a 1/2 inch, coarse threaded, air relief valve. Identical fitting to the .65 cent PVC plug that Maycht uses. I'm sitting here looking at it. I too would not want any water getting into that area. However, the 'cycling and hammering' over the years, if these are the correct terms, would seem to be detremental.

Stmbtwle
06-26-2015, 05:55 PM
NOT a pontoon expert but I do have a floating dock made of drums. If the drums are sealed in the summer they will partially collapse in the winter when it's cold and the air contracts. To prevent this I pressurized the drums with maybe 1-2 # with a portable compressor. It worked, but obviously too much pressure could cause serious damage.

Endurance
06-29-2015, 02:26 PM
Rainbird recommends installation of air release valves at the high points of a drip system for "reduced risk of back siphoning." In other words, these valves will allow air (and water) in besides allowing air out. That sounds like a good thing until you consider that the air your pontoons suck in is at most a few feet off the top of the water and is laden with moisture. When the air is warmer than the water (a common occurrence where I boat) that moisture will condense on the insides of the pontoons. Since there's at least one cycle of air in and out with the heating and cooling of every day, that adds up to a lot of cumulative condensation on the insides of the pontoons over the years. I think I would be cautions and keep the insides of the pontoons dry.

Frantically Relaxing
06-29-2015, 02:40 PM
Letting air in and out in all likelihood won't change the booming a bit. The air pressure (or vacuum) within the toons is negligible. Ever hear an air compressor tank make 'boom' noises? (one not exploding of course ;) )

Which brings me to: I'll bet a buck the logs are not the source of the noise anyway. It's the building on top attached to the logs. The logs are simply amplifying and resonating the vibrations of the cabin stretching & shrinking.

We've spent 9 summers on our SkipperLiner, and it pops and creaks and bangs like mad every morning when the east sun starts heating everything up. I can only imagine the racket if we had round logs instead of a steel hull under the thing!