PDA

View Full Version : Bittersweet weekend

easttnboater
06-26-2015, 06:38 AM
This weekend my wife and I, my brother and his wife, and my dad are meeting at his houseboat to celebrate our 54th, 56th, and 81st birthdays. Due to failing health, after 50 years of boat ownership, it will also be the end of my dad owning boats.

50 yrs ago as a young father of two boys he decided that our family should have a boat and go camping on the weekends. I went with him to buy a 14' Glaspar with a 35 horse Evinrude Lark engine. I still remember that trip. He paid a friend of his from work $500 for that boat. The boating bug bit me hard. A couple of years ago he and I sat down and figured out that that initial $500 purchase 50 yrs ago has led to well over $700,000 net invested in boating between the two of us. We bought our first houseboat together 24 years ago. We both went on to upgrade twice separately - five houseboats between us.

Boats are demanding. They demand our time, our attention, our sweat, and our money. But, I would not trade any of it for the memories of me and, later, my wife and kids growing up around boats and the lake.

So, the next time you are cleaning your boat or doing routine or unplanned maintenance or the next time it demands another boat buck, take a minute to review some memories then smile and move on.

Also, introduce someone else to the wonderful world of boating. You never know where they might end up.

42gibson
06-26-2015, 07:38 AM
well said !

desimulacra
06-26-2015, 08:31 AM
Wow nice, thanks for sharing that with us.

Endurance
06-26-2015, 09:28 AM
Well said. I am guessing that your father wouldn't trade a single day of boating he's enjoyed over those 50 years.

GoVols
06-26-2015, 01:11 PM
This is the type of stuff I think about while we're seeing if we could sell our houseboat. I worry we'll heavily regret it and then not be able to get back into it with as nice of boat as we have now or at as comfortable price point either. I do long for some boring weekends at the house sometimes or having more freedom on my weekends during boating season. I do love our houseboat though. If we sell it, I know I'll miss it.

Our plan, at least for now, is to sell the boat only if we can get what we want for it. We'll save for a few years and then decide to either build a new boat or buy a late model used one. Either way, we'll still have our runabout to take us to the lake when we want to go.