PDA

View Full Version : trailer dolly?

GoVols
02-03-2013, 06:33 PM
I'm trying to store an 18' Regal in my garage. I figured I'd just push it around in the garage, but I've drastically underestimated the difficulty in doing so. I can barely move the 4K lb boat and trailer! I am thinking about getting a manual trailer dolly, but i'm not sure if that would make it much easier or not. They also make powered dollies, but those thing are some $$$. Anyone here have experience with these?

Stmbtwle
02-04-2013, 05:13 AM
Dunno. A new jack wheel would be a lot cheaper.

Do you have a lawn tractor or golf cart?

GoVols
02-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Do you have a lawn tractor or golf cart?

LOL! I sold the riding lawn mower to make room for the boat in the garage! I have a lawn service now anyway.

Stmbtwle
02-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Bummer!

50 years ago my dad put a hitch on the FRONT of his car for that purpose... If I recall it was offset to the right so he could see. Still, you'd probably need someone to signal for you.

42gibson
02-04-2013, 05:31 PM
just go to google and type in "trailer dolly" i moved a 19ft rinker by myselff easily with it.northern tool,sears and others have them.

longjohn
02-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Pointing my 3400# cuddy with a manual trailer dolly was pretty easy, but getting it moving (and stopped!) required significant effort. A flat, level, smooth surface for all 3 points of contact is a must.

Stmbtwle
02-05-2013, 03:50 AM
Get a smaller boat?

Fork-lift-king
02-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Is it 1 or 2 axles ? If it is 2 axles you will not push it around, only back and forth.

GoVols
02-05-2013, 11:56 AM
It's an 18' runabout on a single axle trailer. I've been reading a lot of reviews of these things over the internet and I think I'm going to buy one and try it out......saving the receipt!

As always, thanks for the advice guys!

Frantically Relaxing
02-17-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm all for hitch dolly's, but if your jack wheel works okay, get a couple of these and put under the trailer's wheels, then you can just shove the whole boat into a corner with little effort at all..

http://www.engraver1.com/erase1/wheeldolly2.jpg

GoVols
02-18-2013, 05:27 AM
I bought a trailer dolly and, as I feared, it only helps move the boat a little bit. I have a very slight slope to my driveway. Once the boat gets perpendicular to the slope, it doesn't like to be pulled up the slope. I must get behind it and blindly push it forward into the garage - not a great method!

Check out my picture of the boat pulled into the garage. Boat and trailer measure 25', but my garage is only 21.5' deep. Solution: put the tongue throught the crawl space opening at the foot the garage! LOL!

What I'm thinking now is to buy a 110V winch and mounting it above the crawl space opening. This way, I could just align the boat to the garage opening and then winch into the garage....