PDA

View Full Version : Hmm New Bucket List Ideal

desimulacra
09-30-2015, 12:47 PM
Two of my kids just gave me another grandson. I went to Gulf Shores Alabama to visit and stayed too long, though my kids insist I didn't.
I really liked Gulf Shores and threatened them with buying an RV and moving down there. Then today it hit me maybe I already have the correct waterborne RV!!

So I am located just above the tombigbee waterway and it goes to Mobile bay on which they are buying a house located on that bay!!

What would be the challenges of taking my 60' aluminum houseboat to Gulf Shores be? One I assume Mobile Bay is Salt water so would have to find a river marina??

This might be fun?!?

OLD HOUSEBOATER
09-30-2015, 05:38 PM
I f your serious about Gulf Shores I have a 3 bedroom in one of the nicest neighborhoods that I will be selling shortly.

BananaTom
10-01-2015, 05:56 PM
I bought my houseboat at Lake Pickwick and brought it to Pensacola running the Dirty Dozen. You should not have any problems making the trip. Get a good guide book to help you in your float plan.

Now finding a Live-a-board Marina for a 60 footer down here may be a challenge.

We do have some rivers that empty into the bays around here.
The Perdido River on the Alabama / Florida state line is one that is close to Mobile Bay by car.

I have seen 60 footers up there, at private homes / docks.

I have a buddy that bought a lot, built a pier, and lives on his boat.

desimulacra
10-02-2015, 07:13 AM
The Kids (lol, always kids to parents) are buying a home. Prefer one on the water, 3 or 4 bedroom. PM or email me the info and I will pass it along.

One of the houses they are presently looking at, Bon Secour River area, has a 100 foot dock, not sure if it is deep enough, looked shallow.

Would I need to overly worry about the salt water in Mobile Bay just for a month or two stay?

Tom did you post a thread about your trip?

BananaTom
10-02-2015, 11:47 AM
Would I need to overly worry about the salt water in Mobile Bay just for a month or two stay?

Tom did you post a thread about your trip?

I would not worry about the Salt Water for a month or 6.

No, I did not write a Log about the trip, I should.
We did spend a night at Pirates Place on the way down

desimulacra
10-02-2015, 12:11 PM
If I actually do this, good chance but in a year or two, I'll also stop there!

Amelia
12-21-2015, 09:49 AM
Lots of nice rivers in that (broadly speaking) area. Look at Fowl River, (AL) too. Only place I know of in the lower 48 where the U.S. Mail is delivered by boat.

desimulacra
12-22-2015, 02:56 PM
Was there this weekend, we looked at houses and the kids are still hung on one with a dock! looking good for my bucket list!!!

Foul you say!

Amelia
12-22-2015, 08:25 PM
That would be a great place to park a houseboat. Quiet water, not too salty IIRC, scenic neighborhood--- right along the kids' dock, within easy babysitting range. Dock fee just about right, too.Sounds perfect.

desimulacra
12-24-2015, 06:44 AM
Checked it out and it is on the wrong side of mobile bay. His job is in Elberta, close to road kill cafe.

BananaTom
12-25-2015, 02:06 PM
Look near Pirate's Cove Marina, in Josephine, Al, just south of the World Famous Elberta German Sausage Festival.

desimulacra
12-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Been There Tom!! Really liked it and is on my short list!!!!
Met the owner and the Mayor of Elberta, both seemed nice.

Did not know of the World Famous Elberta German Sausage Festival, will have to fuss at my kids for my lack of knowledge to such an important event. I will be sure to attend!!

Amelia
01-03-2016, 07:56 AM
I was wrong, De. The river I was thinking of is Fish River, over by Magnolia Springs, off Weeks Bay. Beautiful place. Truly lovely, and if you move there, fair warning, I'm coming to visit. I have a friend, lives over on Dog River, has a 2-place ultralight airplane on floats. We cruised up Fish River about 20 feet off the water once, and I swore then and there that if I won the lottery (a tough job, if you're too cheap to buy a ticket) I'd have a second home right....there. Overlooking moss-draped cypress trees, watching the eaglets grow. Come to think of it, that's what I have here, but the mailman comes by truck here.

Amelia
01-03-2016, 08:00 AM
Flying into Mobile Downtown Airport, as I do several times a year, gives lots of opportunity to look down at the twisty rivers in the delta there, and you'd be surprised at how many houseboats and shanty boats are tucked into those backwaters. 'Course, yours would stand out a little, what with paint and all. Even so, it would be neat to have your own pet alligator.

desimulacra
01-04-2016, 09:48 AM
I was wrong, De. The river I was thinking of is Fish River, over by Magnolia Springs, off Weeks Bay. Beautiful place. Truly lovely, and if you move there, fair warning, I'm coming to visit. I have a friend, lives over on Dog River, has a 2-place ultralight airplane on floats. We cruised up Fish River about 20 feet off the water once, and I swore then and there that if I won the lottery (a tough job, if you're too cheap to buy a ticket) I'd have a second home right....there. Overlooking moss-draped cypress trees, watching the eaglets grow. Come to think of it, that's what I have here, but the mailman comes by truck here.

WOW your description of the flight made me want to sell everything and head south!!!

I hang glide and when I get a chance I bum rides in ultralights. Owning an ultralight is on my bucket-list but the costs/benefits will likely preclude the actual owning of one. Buying a Hang glider will happen this year, I hope.
I appreciate you taking the time to post.

Amelia
01-04-2016, 03:08 PM
You're braver than I! I did have an opportunity a few years back to sail down a big NC sand dune lying prone in/on the replica 1902 Wright Glider. Found out the 7 second ride was fun, but a much longer ride would've been much better. No wonder the boys hung motors on their next model. Hang gliding is fun, soaring is even more fun, but I do like my internal combustion engines. Even on sailboats, these days. When you get down there and tie your houseboat up, I'll introduce you to my MX2 Quicksilver friend. Great guy, he's always glad to share his fun. Fair warning before you invest in your Rogallo wing-- there aren't many hills to jump off of down there, and it's a short flight to the water from the top deck of a houseboat.

desimulacra
01-05-2016, 09:34 AM
:) Hmm bet I could make just enough speed with the HB for a towed glider/para sail!!
Would like to meet your friend and at the minimum see what he flies! The MX2 is a nice UL.

Edit: Just looked at the map and Fish River is the area the kids are looking at to buy property! I have rode Belinda thru there and some areas are really nice. Hope this works out, lol.