PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs help

allopp
09-30-2015, 07:13 PM
We finally decided we are ready to live on a houseboat. So we have been checking out a few marinas but we still don't have a boat. We thought we would buy a used houseboat and live on it for a year or so and then possibly move up to a new boat. Is it possible to find a good used houseboat that 3 adults can live on for about $25000? We live in Florida and would like to try and find one in the next few months. Any suggestions would be great....would prefer not to use dining area as second bed. Thanks!

OLD HOUSEBOATER
09-30-2015, 07:34 PM
We lived aboard for 7 years. In reality you need 50 feet minimum. Living aboard in Florida in an uncovered slip would be my idea of penance. To really enjoy living aboard the "Heartland" area of Tennessee, Alabama, Kentucky and Mississippi is House boating Heaven.

What is your experience? What kind of boat do you own now?

Living aboard can be rather expensive, In many areas dockage could rent a nice apartment. Al that being said The live aboard years were the best of my life.

$25,000 might get you something that is insurable. Finding a marina that accepts house boat live aboards might be a problem. Try the Saint Johns river area/

BananaTom
10-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Welcome to the board.

What part of Florida?

Do the three adults need separate sleeping quarters, thus requiring 3 sleeping berths ?

allopp
10-01-2015, 05:41 PM
We need 2 separate living areas, one for my husband and me and one for my daughter. We will be in the st John's river.....eventually make it over toward new Smyrna beach area.

BananaTom
10-02-2015, 10:50 AM
A Gibson Standard has a lower sleeping berth and an aft berth.
My wife and I always slept in the lower.
Guests slept in the aft.

I rode the St John's River from Jacksonville to Deland and back on a 42 Gibson we rented from Doc Holiday.