PDA

View Full Version : Houseboat Insurance

RonandBee
11-04-2015, 11:05 AM
We're getting ready to have the survey done on the houseboat that we're in the process of purchasing. We plan on living on it full-time. What insurance companies would you recommend for liveaboards, and is there any type of coverage that you would recommend other than just the bare minimums?

BananaTom
11-04-2015, 01:35 PM
I always have used:

Lynn Stem
Kaigler & Company
7028 Church St East
Brentwood, TN, 37027
615-376-0798

GoVols
11-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Norman-Spencer Marine Insurance was best for us. 800-252-9597

Word of advice, DON'T tell them you're liveaboards. You might not find anyone that'll cover you for that. In reality, there's really no sure fire way for them to proove you'd be liveaboards anyway.

longjohn
11-04-2015, 05:17 PM
Agreed, do not tell. several companies declined to bid because i declared.

RonandBee
11-04-2015, 10:30 PM
I figured that may be a problem if you tell them you're living aboard full-time. And good point, how would they know if you never said anything abut it? Good advice, and thanks!

42gibson
11-05-2015, 06:02 AM
we use davis marine insurance,somerset,ky. very nice people and very reasonable rates.
800-977-0723

JTAlberts
11-05-2015, 10:20 AM
Rick,

They sure are nice with all the $$$ they ponied up in the last 2 years. Might not be in business much longer.......;)

42gibson
11-06-2015, 03:03 AM
Rick,

They sure are nice with all the $$$ they ponied up in the last 2 years. Might not be in business much longer.......;)

that's the reason I said nice people. and absolutely no problem paying a claim! and by the way, just 1 claim! lol

RonandBee
11-07-2015, 10:18 PM
I hope I never have to make a claim, but it's good to know that there hopefully won't be an issue for the insurance company to pay out.

SinOrSwim
11-11-2015, 06:28 AM
why does living aboard matter? If they are insuring a "value", how does living and utilizing a boat you are insuring impact that value or that risk?

BananaTom
11-11-2015, 09:40 AM
why does living aboard matter? If they are insuring a "value", how does living and utilizing a boat you are insuring impact that value or that risk?

It increases the risk. Just like houses. Do you live in the house or rent it to others. Renting to others increases the risk. Therefore, you need a Dwelling Policy verses a Homeowners Policy.

Most boat insurance is considered with weekend type usage. Or even boating trips. But moored and permanently used as a live-aboard increases the risk It then does not fit the underwriters guidelines that assigns the risk factor, which in turn sets the premiums. So if you say you are a live-aboard you no longer fit the risk assignment by that carrier.

If there is a question on the application regarding this subject, respond truthfully, as misrepresentation on the application for insurance is legal grounds to void the policy and return the premiums. Therefore, you did not have insurance at the time of the loss suffrage should you misrepresent the risk. If there is no question, do not volunteer additional information.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
11-11-2015, 05:31 PM
Liability coverage needs to be looked at closely. Will they pay if you don't declare your a live aboard. When we lived aboard they had an add on for liveaboards. They didn't ask and we didn't tell