PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Powerplant and drive

desimulacra
03-02-2013, 06:51 AM
Looking for advice. I have a 1977 14x60 Sumerset houseboat with one engine. Yea I know :).

First off when I am standing around the docks and the other owners are talking of 600k, million plus and other deals I am wondering how I am going to pay my $100.00 slip maintenance fee (and hoping they don't find out how poor I am and kick me out of the club). So I need to minimize costs. That being said my boat is my baby and home. I got her back after the divorce worse for wear, imagine that :cool: She has a 305 Mercruiser 228 and TRS drive. The Mercruiser was not winterized and has a busted block and exhaust. The TRS (hope I got that right) is reworked but tired.
I am thinking of taking it to a local service yard and having a new outdrive and motor installed. That will of course be expensive.
So to restate. I am looking for ways that I might minimize my costs and still have a reliable drive.

captrsimon
03-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Do you boat on a lake or river? I have a 15 x 50 powered by a single 4cylinder that's on a lake. Work great and sips fuel wouldn't change a thing. Look at the Merc 3.0 and alpha drive set up if your on a lake. You might want to consider an outboard too.

desimulacra
03-02-2013, 12:14 PM
I boat on a Kentucky lake and only go short distances. If I decide to travel I will want two drives.

Got a neighbor that pulled his 4 banger out of his newer boat and put a plate on the hole. Concerned about leaks and uses it for a water condo. I had hoped to get it but I think he is hanging on to it now.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
03-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Saying goodbye to the TRS is not a bad thing.

Bamby
03-03-2013, 12:32 PM
May be more money than you'd like to spend, MERCRUISER 3.0L COMPLETE ENGINE ALPHA DRIVE PACKAGE NEW (http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCRUISER-3-0L-COMPLETE-ENGINE-ALPHA-DRIVE-PACKAGE-NEW-/220427199886). But then again I'm uncertain as to what a total rebuild of the motor and out drive would set you back.

desimulacra
03-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Called a local shop. They suggested about 9-10k for complete job :(