PDA

View Full Version : Tony B at The Starting Gate

Tony B
02-11-2016, 05:16 AM
We will be leaving the Knoxville, Tn area sometime in late spring and heading downstream to the end of the Tenn. River at the junction of the Ohio. Then eventually on to the Cumberland.
So far, on our way up here from Texas, we have met many great people from various forums I am a member of. I would like to continue to meet more of you folks on our journey.
Please let me know if you are along the way and maybe get together for coffee, dinner or just a drive by.

Regards

Tony B

desimulacra
02-11-2016, 05:39 AM
Toni,
I am a weekend warrior now but have a boat on the Tennessee River located at Birdsong Bay. Be glad to have you stop by!
Curious about your directions above. You should cut across above the dams to go from the Tennessee to the Cumberland, or is there a different Cumberland? Turtle bay/Grand Rivers is an interesting place to stop, just before the dam.

Tony B
02-11-2016, 06:03 AM
Des

I believe you are correct about the Cumberland. We just want to get to the Ohio just to say we did. Then probably double back to the Cumberland. Not sure exactly how we are going to do it until I look at the charts. I wont do that till right before we leave.
We left Texas over 2 years ago heading to Kentucky Lake. Next thing you know, along the way, OldHouseboater convinced me, via this forum, and Pirate, when we stopped at his marina, to try Joe Wheeler State Park in NW Alabama. So, we detoured and went to Joe Wheeler. It was everything they said it was and we spent 10 months there. The plan was then to leave Wheeler and continue with our original to Ky Lake. Halfway through the winter, lots of folks convinced us to go to the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville, Tn. So we went to the Little Tennessee River (Tellico lake) to spend the summer and leave after the fall foliage. Well, that didnt happen either. We both fell in love with the Smokey Mountains and spend a lot of time touring the area by car. With so much stuff we didnt see, we ended up spending the winter here on Tellico Lake. Absolutely an incredible place. We will be leaving the area this spring and heading down river toward kentucky lake. From our previous track record, there is no tellin' where we will actually end up. Somewhere downstream for a starter.

Where is Birdsong Bay? If we can find it we would gladly stop by, provided we dont get side-tracked.

Regards

desimulacra
02-11-2016, 11:24 AM
Birdsong is just past Interstate 40 mile 104 in Tennessee. By the time you get there you will have passed Tombigbee, Pickwick Dam, Shiloh national park, Little Mermaid (interesting place to grab a bite), Clifton Tn. (where General Forrest put his cavalry into the river to cross in a confederate raid). Duck River and more!
Sounds like you are having fun! I to love the Smokies, more than the beaches. Your style of boating reminds me of how I do my motorcycle rides, but for a much longer duration!!!!
Hope you drop by.

Tony B
02-11-2016, 01:24 PM
Birdsong is just past Interstate 40 mile 104 in Tennessee.............

As long as I have the mile number, I will find it. Pickwick is somewhere around mile 215. That puts mile 104 just 2 short days away. We travel on one engine at a time at about 7MPH.
I get what I consider decent mileage - 2 MPG.
See you sometime in late spring/early summer.

longjohn
02-12-2016, 08:26 AM
Since you are already on the Little T, it would be a shame not to turn right at Ft Loudon Dam (Tn River Mile 602) and see the entirety of the Tennessee River. It's an easy day cruise to the headwater at the confluence of the Holsten and French Broad Rivers (Tn Mile 652). Have supper at Calhoun's next to Neyland Stadium in downtown Knoxville and stay tied there overnight or just downstream at the River Landing. Not that many have bragging rights on the whole river. Let me know and I might join you. I keep my boats (2005 Mainship 34T and FOR SALE 1986 Harbormaster 47) at Tn Mile 547.

Tony B
02-12-2016, 12:52 PM
....... it would be a shame not to turn right at Ft Loudon Dam.... and see the entirety of the Tennessee River. ...... to the headwater at the confluence of the Holsten and French Broad Rivers..... Have supper at Calhoun's...... and stay tied there overnight or just downstream at the River Landing. Not that many have bragging rights on the whole river. Let me know and I might join you. I keep my boats (2005 Mainship 34T and FOR SALE 1986 Harbormaster 47) at Tn Mile 547.

We planned on doing that very thing for the very same reason before we leave the area for good.
I am sending you a PM with my celll no.

regards
Tony B