PDA

View Full Version : Houseboatless

GoVols
05-13-2016, 08:01 AM
Well, as of yesterday, we are no longer houseboaters. We completed our sale of our Sailabration yesterday to a guy that will keep the boat on the same lake and even the same slip at our marina. He got a good deal on the boat and I'm happy with what I got for it, so it worked out well.

The SAMS surveyor had a difficult time finding anything to note in his report for the buyer's bank and insurance company. They tried to list 1 "Finding" as "Inopperable smoke detectors", but I demonstrated that they worked after they informed me they weren't working. LOL!

One of the "Notes" was that my generator's wet exhaust needed to have 2 hose clamps, not just 1. Since the generator sits on the back porch deck inside a locker of the pontoon boat, this is a non-issue anyway.

In the end, the buyer got a great boat and I can now resume normal life as a 'landlubber'. We still have our Regal runabout, so we'll just be dayboating it from here on out. Houseboating was fun as heck and we'll miss it dearly. With young kids in sports, I should just write off my weekends until they head to college. I think at that time, we'll look back into houseboat, but more likely a lake house with a dock for our Regal.

Thanks for all your help over the years guys. I couldn't have done it without your advice and guidance.

Happy SAILS to you, until we meet again.......

BananaTom
05-13-2016, 09:19 AM
Second Best Day in a persons life.
Congrats on the sale.
You will miss it.

austa
05-13-2016, 12:06 PM
Best of luck, GoVols, glad to hear you'll still get some water moving forward! :)

GoVols
05-16-2016, 06:50 AM
I'm happy to not have to perform maintenance and repairs on the boat any longer, but I'll miss the entertaining and fun we had on her. It's fun too to see dayboaters' envy of the big boats too. It pumps the ego up a bit. That's not why I bought it, obviously, but it was a fun little ownership perk.

I was pretty sad when I was cleaning out the boat of all of our personal belongings. We had the boat for close to 5 years and we were amazed at how much crap we accumulated on the boat.

Endurance
05-16-2016, 09:44 AM
I wish you well in whatever adventures you choose. You've been a great asset to this board!

easttnboater
05-17-2016, 06:57 AM
Good luck going forward. Hopefully, the new owner will have the same pride of ownership that you did. I had the unpleasant experience of watching my previous houseboat fall into disrepair in the hands of its new owner.

GoVols
05-18-2016, 08:15 AM
The new owner has called me several times to ask basic systems operating questions about the boat. I left all manuals with the boat.... LOL! This could be a long process!

JTAlberts
05-18-2016, 09:15 AM
I am in the same boat right now. Boatless. The people that bought my boat had never owned a boat before. I have no worries that they will have any problems with the boat and they really seem to enjoy it. I sold my Kingscraft to my friend and I still end up working on it.

easttnboater
05-18-2016, 09:20 AM
Yeah - there is that - the process of bringing the new owner up to speed. I finally had to tell the guy that let my previous boat fall into disrepair that it was his boat and he had to deal with it and to quit asking me questions. Of course, that was two years after I sold the boat to him.

BananaTom
05-18-2016, 05:05 PM
The new owner has called me several times to ask basic systems operating questions about the boat. I left all manuals with the boat.... LOL! This could be a long process!

Some, after they retire, and are asked to advise others on how to do the job, create a position of consultant.
Maybe yours should be Houseboat Consultant for a fee.

GoVols
05-19-2016, 06:43 AM
Maybe yours should be Houseboat Consultant for a fee.

If I could make a living off that, then I'd quit my job today! I'd love that!

Frantically Relaxing
05-21-2016, 11:23 PM
one of the reasons I give up some money to let a broker sell my boats is to avoid the after-sale 'customer service'. I make it easy on buyers, I've never not once in my life ever called the PO of anything I've bought used.

We've had our SkipperLiner for 10 years now. And we still have 3 other boats. And I do all my own work. Glutton for punishment I guess... ;)

Actually, I need to update my signature!

>>done<<

Zilpo55
05-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Just hope you don't get any midnight "how do I unclog the head?" calls.

Lyby
05-30-2016, 02:17 PM
My husband and I are beginning to plan for retirement. We are contemplating downsizing... One of our options is a houseboat. Seeking advice.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
05-30-2016, 09:56 PM
We spent 7 years living aboard. Best years of our lives. I regret selling the boat to this day. only suggestion is 50 foot minimum and covered slip.

Stmbtwle
05-31-2016, 07:21 AM
Lyby,
Bear in mind that a houseboat while smaller is a LOT more complicated than a house. Maintaining it can be an act of love or an endless hassle, depending on your skills and inclination.