PDA

View Full Version : Is there no water hook up on a Gibson???

HerJoy
07-25-2016, 03:08 PM
We just purchased a 1992 Gibson Sport. I can't find a water hook up to connect to city water at the dock. All previous boats we have owned have one so I am perplexed. Is this possible? Is there a strange place I should be looking? Can one be added? If so, how?

42gibson
07-25-2016, 03:21 PM
were on our 2nd Gibson,neither had a city water hookup.easily put in though. I would recommend having the marina put it in if your not sure how, I do it in about an hour for under a 100 $.

HerJoy
07-25-2016, 04:00 PM
were on our 2nd Gibson,neither had a city water hookup.easily put in though. I would recommend having the marina put it in if your not sure how, I do it in about an hour for under a 100 $.

Thanks for the heads up! My marina doesn't have any mechanics or anything since it is very small (10 slips), but I could reach out to one of the larger marinas. Before I do, can you give me some insight as to how this is done? Does it utilize the water fill hole on the deck?

42gibson
07-25-2016, 06:17 PM
you have to get on e-bay and order a shurflo city water inlet regulator.you have to get a hole saw and drill a hole in the cabin or hull to mount it then you run a water line from it to the water line just past the discharge side of the pump.the pump has a check valve and won't let the water back flo to your tanks.you cut the line and tee the new line in. if your marina can't do it and your not comfortable with it,get a plumber.you surely don't want to have any leaks and sinking you.

HerJoy
07-25-2016, 06:27 PM
you surely don't want to have any leaks and sinking you.

Sure don't! Thanks for the info.

Stmbtwle
07-26-2016, 03:48 AM
If you're going to install a hookup, install a bilge alarm while you're at it. You only have to forget once.

It's MUCH safer to simply fill your tanks when needed and use from them. It will keep your tanks nice and fresh, too.

BananaTom
07-26-2016, 08:01 AM
Once you have it, never leave it on, while away from the boat. A busted water pipe can sink a boat.

easttnboater
07-27-2016, 06:38 AM
Never leave it turned on, never leave it connected either. More boats sink or suffer damage from shore side water connections than you want to think about it. I removed the shore side water connection from my boat.

Also, you need to install a check valve in the shore side water pipe and I would also install one after the existing pump - the ones in the pump can fail.

Stmbtwle
07-27-2016, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if that's why Gibson didn't install water connections on those boats. Too many expensive problems with them.

Can't speak for Gibson but the water systems on many boats aren't designed for shoreside water pressure. The inlet if installed SHOULD have a pressure regulator. You can also get regulators that connect to the hose. How reliable they are I don't know, and I'm not sure I want to find out.

desimulacra
07-27-2016, 01:47 PM
I just posted about my neighbors boat almost sinking a few weeks ago. From leaving the water on. His other boat does not have a hook up either.

Amelia
07-30-2016, 12:38 PM
We have a faucet attached to the line that goes to a 100 gallon water tank. There are, no doubt, much more elegant solutions, but this one was simple. We open the faucet on the dock side, hook the hose up, and run the hose until the translucent tank in one of the pontoons is as full as we think we need it, then shut the hose off, secure in the knowledge that we won't be paying city water prices to sink our boat.a

Miller Tyme
08-01-2016, 11:40 AM
My dad lived on his boat for about 10 years and his solution to the issue of broken water lines while away was to install a flow measuring valve used to fill cattle troughs. It was a dual to allow from 50- 500 gallons to pass through then shuts off. It went in line with the city water line to the boat. He would set it at 150 gallons and if something did go wrong you limited the water into the boat to a max of 150 gallons. Every couple of days he would reset it to 150 and he was good to go.