PDA

View Full Version : Houseboat hunting

Maagee1979
08-09-2016, 05:58 PM
First off I'm not too familiar with houseboats or houseboat manufacturers. I'm posting for help trying to figure out if a houseboat is the right move for my family. We currently own a 90's 300 rinker. We would like to be able to invite more of the family and friends to join us on the water. Our first thought was to purchase a double cabin motor yaht.
After my wife walked through a friend's houseboat she has changed my opinion for me she thinks we need a houseboat now, I'm all for it. My only concern is that when we get on the water we like to get where we are going quickly.
My question is what brands should I be looking for. We would like to have something in the 45 to 55ft range and still be able to cruise in the 15 to 20 mph range. I'm open to any an all types just please help me narrow my search options and keep me from wasting a sellers time by looking at a boat that's not fitting my criteria.

easttnboater
08-10-2016, 06:43 AM
OHB should be along to give specific advice. If you want those speeds, then you are looking at a Gibson or Harbor Master or something like that. There are plenty of them in that size range for well under $100,000.

Stmbtwle
08-10-2016, 08:32 AM
Where are you planning to use this boat?

Maagee1979
08-10-2016, 08:37 AM
It will be on kentucky and Barkley lake.

BananaTom
08-10-2016, 03:04 PM
Gibson's moto:

We build houseboats for boaters, not floaters.
They can get up on a plane real nice, with the right power.
Twin 454's

OLD HOUSEBOATER
08-10-2016, 04:16 PM
What you are describing is a "Cruising Houseboat"

Go to boat trader and Type in Gibson, Harbor Master, Montecello, Pluckebaum. These are in assending order of quality and price. Gibson And Harbor Master tend to be older and may range from ragged to Great. Montecello started building boats in 1997 and were well powered. Pluckebaum has no peers. Go for any year. We lived on a 55 for 7 years best years of our lives. The 3208 Cats cruised at 20 MPH and the sound is hushed and pure heaven

Maagee1979
08-11-2016, 10:46 AM
What the cruising speeds if the Bluewaters there is one in my marina for sale now at a decent price.

BananaTom
08-11-2016, 12:34 PM
What the cruising speeds if the Bluewaters there is one in my marina for sale now at a decent price.

That depends on the power. Single or Twin Screw? What size?
I like a Bluewater myself.

Fork-lift-king
08-11-2016, 01:58 PM
Go to Ky Dam marina, Green Turtle Bay or Kattawa Harbor, there are a bunch for sale.

pirate
08-12-2016, 11:55 AM
A 44 or 50 ft Gibson will do 40 mph with 454s. The factory will be starting shortly, thet had a big water problem caused by the city and a massive clean up will be under way. Gibson is the fastest of the lot. I will see what I can find for you. been on Barkley and kentucky Lake many times. You want a new one we will build you a 3 engine sport 48 with 16 ft beam that run a little over 50 mph.

BananaTom
08-12-2016, 04:23 PM
3 engine sport 48 with 16 ft beam that run a little over 50 mph.

that sounds fun!!!

42gibson
08-13-2016, 06:42 AM
A 44 or 50 ft Gibson will do 40 mph with 454s. The factory will be starting shortly, thet had a big water problem caused by the city and a massive clean up will be under way. Gibson is the fastest of the lot. I will see what I can find for you. been on Barkley and kentucky Lake many times. You want a new one we will build you a 3 engine sport 48 with 16 ft beam that run a little over 50 mph.

we have 7 gibsons at our dock and the one behind us. they range in size from 41-55 ft,none of which will even remotely achieve those kind of speeds.does anyone have one that will?

desimulacra
08-13-2016, 07:01 AM
I have a Gibson next to me on Kentucky lake that was for sale, not sure if it still is. I have driven it and it is a nice boat that handles well. I think a 50 foot with Twin 455's I am not sure what his price was I may have posted that on here but it is well under 100k. Again he may have taken it off the market as his main boat is still under repairs.
If you are interested I'll check.
This one is close to I40 in Tennessee.

pirate
08-13-2016, 12:54 PM
I had a a 44 ft gibson on sea trial 3 yeas old that did 41. I had a custom 50 ft. 1976 with blueprinted 454s that would do 44 mph. I had a 36 Gibson that Hoot and I put together with 270s that would run 46 mph. The bottom has to be clean to do it

Amelia
08-15-2016, 06:40 AM
Wow.Sounds as if one would need to own an oil refinery. What is the fuel burn for that kind of speed, anyway? Just curious... We are comfortable at 7 knots in the Lotus Eater so far. The bump.to 9 more than doubles the fuel flow. If we have miles to cover in a hurry, I have the keys to a 165-knot alternative- at 9.5 gph.

42gibson
08-15-2016, 07:40 AM
Wow.Sounds as if one would need to own an oil refinery. What is the fuel burn for that kind of speed, anyway? Just curious... We are comfortable at 7 knots in the Lotus Eater so far. The bump.to 9 more than doubles the fuel flow. If we have miles to cover in a hurry, I have the keys to a 165-knot alternative- at 9.5 gph.

ours at 1600 rpm does 10mph by gps and gets 1.25 mpg with the generator running as well.certainly not a cheap ride but others are way worse!

Maagee1979
08-15-2016, 10:03 PM
I assume you are joking about 40mph on a gibson. My cruiser won't do that. I spoke to the owner of my marina this weekend and he said that stingers and transoms will eventually need redone in almost all gibsons. Is this a true statement?
I have been browsing the www tonight and came across Twin Anchors houseboats they look amazing except there are not any around here and they are built in Canada. I have also look at Destination Yachts website they don't have prices but I'm assuming that they are out of my budget. What are your thoughts on these manufacturers/hull designs?

easttnboater
08-16-2016, 06:45 AM
Remove your need to cruise at 20 mph and you open yourself up to a lot of different hull styles.

You want to be able to cruise at 20 in a 45 to 50 foot houseboat, then you are looking at the options you have already been given.

Stmbtwle
08-16-2016, 07:39 AM
It's all a matter of horsepower and money. In the 70s at least one manufacturer bragged their houseboat could tow TEN water skiers. I wouldn't want to pick up the fuel bill though.

Personally I think going that fast sorta defeats the purpose of houseboating. You could always get a ski boat for a dinghy.

desimulacra
08-16-2016, 08:27 AM
Gibson made a Sport model. I looked at one before I bought the present boat. It was nice and also fast, though I cannot remember the speed. However it had a low ceiling that my 6-5 height would not fit into! If you are looking for speed it might be a good option.

JTAlberts
08-16-2016, 01:58 PM
Also be prepared for a large wake coming behind you. Any of these will put out a nice set of rollers that other boaters might not appreciate.

pirate
08-16-2016, 03:39 PM
I am not joking, we had houseboat races in Nashville where I was a dealer. it was a lot of fun to blow the cruisers away. The 44 I was talking about was being surveyed and the GPS had it at a hair over 40 with 6 people aboard. Now if the bottom is fouled it will not do it. 454s at 4400 RPM 19x19 props

pirate
08-16-2016, 03:48 PM
Gibson was who said they could pull 10 skiers and they did. I saw the pics when Hoot did it As to the stringer thing Gibsons are not prone as Nautalines are for that but if water stays high in the bilge the transum and the stringers will go. Fuel consuption at 4400 rpm gives you about 1/2 a mile to the gallon

pirate
08-16-2016, 03:57 PM
Oh I forgot, a gibson at 40 mph only puts up about a ft high wake, it is on top and gone. The fun that we ured to have in nashville on Old hickory Lake was for a cruiser to come along side and look and wave good bye. The only pronlem was we would just stay next to him till till he hit the stops and then we waved bye to him. I was a Chris/craft dealer and the gibson was faster than they were around the same length.

Stmbtwle
08-16-2016, 04:31 PM
I believe it.

BananaTom
08-17-2016, 06:39 AM
My 36 foot Gibson with twin 350 Crusaders would cruise all day at 25 miles per hour at 2200 RPM's, with burn rate at 1 mile per gallon.
I topped out at 35 miles per hour, burn rate was .5 miles per gallon.

This was loaded with 200 gallons of fuel, 100 gallons of fresh water, and with 6 on board.
And food and a couple of ice chests full of beverages.

Maagee1979
08-17-2016, 08:31 AM
This process is killing me. There are certain things I like about all the different styles of boats the speed of the planing hulls and the comfort and room of the barge style. I wish I had 1mil or so and I could have my cake and eat it too.

Stmbtwle
08-17-2016, 09:28 AM
Don't we all? However compromises MUST be made. I think you need a LONG talk with your Admiral and decide what you REALLY want to use the boat for; leisurely cruising and entertaining, racing about the lake, or some (not all) of both.

My old barge is SLOW ( 6 kts ) and not big enough for entertaining more than another couple. Sometimes I wish I had more speed, and sometimes she wishes she had more space, but it's nice to sit back with our feet up and a margarita, and let the autopilot do the work.

BananaTom
08-19-2016, 10:36 AM
I will say that cruising along at 6 knots, with my feet up on the console, weather at the interior helm or the upper helm, with the music playing, and belnder spinning is an awesome expierance.

My favorite time to do this is in a rain storm, just keeping it between the channel markers.

Frantically Relaxing
08-26-2016, 01:31 PM
As the bikers say,

It's not the destination
It's the journey...

If you have no particular place to go (that's what anchors are for ;) ) it doesn't matter how long it takes... :D