PDA

View Full Version : fresh water in bilge

jerry
08-15-2016, 01:15 PM
I am a new member but have been reading and getting lessons on houseboating fo ryears. I have a 1982 gibson executive 50 ft . I am getting fresh water in my bilge when hooked up to dock water. can't find where its comming from. Anyone had this problem? Thanks for any help.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
08-15-2016, 06:05 PM
If you DON'T have a problem when using the internal tank and pump. You have a pressure induced leak somewhere in the system. Many places are hidden and the only way to find it is to

1 Try to isolate the section of the boat it is coming from.

2 Block off sections of the system to isolate the leak. Start at the point the city water is hooked up to the internal system.

3 Tape a mirror to a length of broom stick and take a flash light and have fun.

You should have a pressure reducing regulator on the city water as well as a resettable gallons limiter. Shore water pressures can hit 90 psi 60 to 70 being frequent. Your internal system is in the 15 to 30 psi range.

NEVER LEAVE THE BOAT WITH THE SHORE WATER ON.

On many Gibsons Shore water capability was not installed as a safety measure. We Never used shore water hook up. We always filled the tank and used the internal system. We lived aboard 7 years and never had a problem. During that period 3 boats in the marina almost sunk from shore water failures.

BananaTom
08-17-2016, 05:44 AM
I am a new member but have been reading and getting lessons on houseboating fo ryears. I have a 1982 gibson executive 50 ft . I am getting fresh water in my bilge when hooked up to dock water. can't find where its comming from. Anyone had this problem? Thanks for any help.

It is a common problem. Do you get the fresh water when not hooked to shore water, and only use on-board pump from the holding tank. It is best to run that water from your tank frequently, to keep it fresh.

I then refreshed my tank about once a year. Using a half gallon bleach to 100 gallons of water, then pumping it down, then filling it, then pumping it down, then filling it adding Lemon Juice.

42gibson
08-17-2016, 06:37 AM
we hold 200 gal of fresh water so we don't need a city water hookup, so every time I fill(about every 3 weeks) I add taste pure water treatment and its always fresh and odor free.

Steve scot
08-18-2016, 08:07 PM
Hello guys..
I am new here or i am getting knowledge about houseboating.This forum is looking informative.Can i join all of you?

BananaTom
08-19-2016, 09:31 AM
Hello guys..
I am new here or i am getting knowledge about houseboating.This forum is looking informative.Can i join all of you?

Sure, start your own thread, and ask away.
Welcome a Board!!

Steve scot
08-19-2016, 07:23 PM
kitchen renovation Vancouver* (http://www.walkergeneralcontractors.ca)
Thanks for the reply i am glad to visit here.Could you please suggest me something difference about houseboating?