PDA

View Full Version : hard wire rope lights into light switch

GoVols
03-27-2013, 12:12 PM
I bought a 50' string of LED rope lights and will install them in the party top binimi soon. They come with a 110V plug for an outlet, but I'd like to simply wire them into a light switch instead. I was going to just cut the plug off the end of the given 10' cord and wire it straight into a new light switch. Can this be done?

Capt Ron
03-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Sure go ahead. Just make sure that you switch the black.

Stmbtwle
03-27-2013, 02:48 PM
You can do that, but I think I'd hardwire a fixed outlet to the switch, then plug the rope lights (or whatever) into the outlet. Sooner or later you'll want/have to replace them with something else.

easttnboater
03-28-2013, 06:12 AM
I hardwired mine to a switch with a dimmer, but they were conventional, not LEDs. I see no problem hardwiring them.

GoVols
03-28-2013, 07:27 AM
I didn't think about a dimmer. I already bought the single switch / single outlet combo at Lowes the other day. I wonder if the LEDs are capable of dimming or if I'll want to even dim them at all. Dang it! There's so much to think about and plan for!

Stmbtwle
03-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Some are dimmable, some are not. You'll have to check, but a dimmer might be nice.

dalehollow
03-28-2013, 05:38 PM
we ran three sets tying them all together worked fine I pluged them in an outlet I mounted them under the party top. topside

What IM wondering is mine had a self adhesive backing, so under my canvas is a galvinized looking flat metal for the canvas to rest on. Which I cleaned then pressed them onto. My concern is how long will that adhesive hold up with high 90 's to 100daytime plus, metal cooling evenings day end day out, all is good the first year they are still nice an tight , we have decided to place them over the top of the new cabinets when they are instsalled for accent, they will be out of sight

they have lots of options stairwell lighting on a motion sensor is next, very user friendly on the inverter too

Frantically Relaxing
03-28-2013, 06:22 PM
While there IS some great adhesive these, days, I don't think they put it on 'everyday' stuff like rope lights, or in my experience, velcro. It just amazes me that velcro itself will hang on for dear life, but I can't get self-adhesive velcro to stay stuck to anything...

42gibson
03-28-2013, 07:16 PM
we had a party top built by lehr awning in mansfield ohio for our playcraft at the time. they had some clips that fastened into the rails of the party top then the lights just clipped into them,very effective. i also wired them to a dimmer switch, it worked out great. their number is 419-747-7633 if you want to check on the clips. he does alot of boat canvas,lights and party tops. he has a website also.www.pcr-lehrawning.com.

SinOrSwim
03-31-2013, 08:13 AM
I have my rope lights under my party top all hard wired to dimmer switches. Works great. I bought the plastic track from link below and used adhesive to put it up. They are going on year 2 with no issues. Each on separate switches and dimmers. Being able to dim does help with bugs. Plus, if I only turn on the smaller set and turn the ceiling fan on, the bugs aren't an issue at all. I tried posting a picture. Hopefully it shows up.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/category/rope-light-accessories/

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/271526_2051211614025_6163159_o.jpg

easttnboater
04-01-2013, 08:27 AM
If they are dimmable, then you will want to dim them. They are a lot brighter than you think they are.

GoVols
04-08-2013, 12:19 PM
I hung the rope lights over the weekend and they look great! I looked at buying the plastic strips, but it was $15 for 3 ft strips. Then I figured I’d buy 100 clips and place them ever 6”, but they require 2 screws per clip, which would be 200 holes in my canopy….not doing that! I finally settled on clear zip ties, which I already had on the boat. I placed them every 6” and pulled that rope light as tight as I could to make it straight as an arrow. I spent 5 hours running 5 wires through my railing so it wouldn’t look ghetto. I scraped my hands up a good bit doing all that and I still don’t have the wiring done! I will work on it more next weekend and post pictures when I’m done.