PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Style Question

Tony B
05-31-2013, 08:04 AM
I will be travelling the eastern inland waterways which is comprised of rivers, lakes (some man made) and dredged channels. I am not familiar with them and am not sure what type of bottoms I will mostly encounter. My best guess will be sand and mud but I do not know this for fact.
I have 3 anchors and only one bow roller. The anchors are 40 lb. danforth, a 35 lb. bruce (claw) and a 45 lb CQR ( plow with a swivel). Each of these are more than sufficient for my 36 footer if used in the proper bottom type. Which one should I mount on my bow roller?
Thanks in advance

Tony B

DitchRider
05-31-2013, 09:13 AM
Those are likely good enough.. Make sure you carry a smaller stern anchor..

GoVols
05-31-2013, 12:12 PM
Ditchrider,
I've been told not to use a stern anchor at the same time with a bow anchor. Doing so prevents the boat from keeping the bow into the waves / wind and increases the odds of capsizing.

Stmbtwle
05-31-2013, 05:38 PM
That's correct, but sometimes in close quarters you want to keep the boat from swinging.

I've learned that any time I'm expecting weather, to use two anchors both from the bow and spread apart as far as I can get them.

clarencio5
06-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Tony:
Put your 40lb. danforth anchor on your roller. No stern anchor-----most of the time there will be a small current trying to take you south.
Yes it will be mostly sand and mud in the area's you will drop the hook. If in doubt, drop two hooks off the bow. Have a good time.
clarencio