PDA

View Full Version : First Time out with new to me boat. :-/

HBChattanooga
09-04-2016, 07:19 PM
Took the boat out yesterday for the first time since buying it. It ran great for about 30 minutes then the starboard engine ran hot. Came back to dock and thruster wouldn't work. Wind, no thruster and one engine for a 70 foot houseboat! Surprisingly stayed calm and had great help from neighbors.

This boat has a "Sideshift" brand electric aft thruster and had thrown all three breakers. Not sure yet what caused the engine to run hot but I'm wondering if it is impeller related or if this engine even has an impeller or a water pump like an automotive engine. Volvo Penta AMD40 Diesel.

We also had an electrical issue that turned out to be loose connections in the dock cord.

Neverthless, we are having a great time entertaining family and friends.

42gibson
09-05-2016, 04:06 AM
welcome to every day boating.some days are very good and then some are....... you will enjoy it though.

Ike
09-07-2016, 07:12 PM
It has a water pump for cooling, and an impeller in the lower unit of the drive. Both need to be replaced periodically.

Anyway, that is why it's called a "shakedown cruise".

You'll get it fixed and things will smooth out.

easttnboater
09-08-2016, 05:37 AM
What outdrives do you have?

Fork-lift-king
09-08-2016, 12:59 PM
First lesson in Boating. B.O.A.T.=bring on another thousand

GoVols
09-09-2016, 07:05 AM
If your boat was a dock queen with the previous owner, you should go ahead and change out all your impellers on your propulsion motors as well as your generator. Over time, the rubber impellers harden and become brittle. When a new owner starts using the boat like it should be, you start seeing failures like this. Another thing, many people don't realize their generator needs to be running for the thrusters to work. Not sure about your system, but check it out anyway.

HBChattanooga
09-10-2016, 07:54 PM
If your boat was a dock queen with the previous owner, you should go ahead and change out all your impellers on your propulsion motors as well as your generator. Over time, the rubber impellers harden and become brittle. When a new owner starts using the boat like it should be, you start seeing failures like this. Another thing, many people don't realize their generator needs to be running for the thrusters to work. Not sure about your system, but check it out anyway.

The new parts are in and will be installed next week. We replaced the impeller in generator at first and I never thought of the engines . As for thrusters, this is a "SideShift" brand electric one. It works good but after a few minutes of use, it blows the breaker. I've talked to them about it and they are coming up with a fix. I priced new bow and stern thrusters with Thrusterman and it was in the neighborhood of 16K which is something I will live without. Lol

HBChattanooga
09-10-2016, 07:56 PM
What outdrives do you have?

Volvo Penta. I'm scheduled to get them serviced in a few weeks. They are going to do the boots and gimbal bearing?? The manager said that everything else should be good since it has low hours and I have seen no signs on water in the foot oil when I checked it

easttnboater
09-13-2016, 06:15 AM
Why the gimbal bearing? Maybe they are easy on the Volvo Pentas - it is fairly major surgery for a Mercruiser.

I have electric bow thrusters. They will overheat if you use them for several minutes continuously. They are designed to be used in short spurts - minute or so - and then let them cool off for a minute or so. If you run them for five minutes continuously, the thermal breaker will trip.

JTAlberts
10-13-2016, 10:23 AM
What is the brand of boat?

Jeepster04
10-31-2016, 08:32 AM
Depending on the model of Volvo, it may not have gimbal bearings. While Ive never changed an intermediate bearing on a vovlo, Ive been told the engine must come out. Best to find someone that knows how to work on volvos. Also, you can grease the intermediate bearing on a volvo from the engine compartment. Best to grease them a couple times a season. I try to every spring and fall.

The raw water impeller can be changed with the boat in the water. Its mounted down on the crank, fairly easy to change. You must use the correct impeller for the model of volvo you have. Some impellers may fit but are not correct. been there and done that...

If you do pull the boat, the only thing that really needs to be done on a volvo is anodes, oil in the outdrives, and the U joint bellows. No need to change the exhaust bellows unless you just want to...