PDA

View Full Version : Raritan Crown Head Fix

Jolly Time
09-15-2016, 05:32 PM
I thought my Raritan Crown Head Pump Motor was locked up. I let some friends use my Houseboat and they put toilet paper and went #2 in the Head!! I never put TP in the head, but rather in the trash can and usually make everyone go to the boaters lounge for their #2 business!! I think the head is original and my old floater is a 1978 model. Every time I hit the switch it would just click. So I looked it up online and thought I'd order a new pump motor. Problem is my model is extinct! I needed a new model and at $1300, I thought I'd try a few fixes first. When I took off the base cover, I discovered the power connections- Red wire and White wire. I hooked up my voltmeter and found it was definitely getting power. I thought maybe the batteries were weak so I pulled out my Mega Start Battery Charger and hooked up the cables to the appropriate wires. I turned on the charger to the lowest AMP setting (2) and hit the button- nothing. Next I turned it up to 10 amps and hit the button- nothing. Next I turned it up to 25 amps hit the button and low and behold it started working!! I think it was just clogged and needed a little extra umph!! Just thought I'd pass on my results- maybe it will save you from a rebuild or replacement when really not needed!! Thanks, Jolly Time

42gibson
09-15-2016, 05:51 PM
we use 2ply household tp in ours and #1 and #2 never any problems. if you need a new head e-bay is much cheaper than anywhere else.marine parts source,$1109

Stmbtwle
09-15-2016, 09:36 PM
Electric toilets draw a lot of amps. Even if the batteries are good, a loose or corroded connection can shut one down.

I'd check the motor closely for any evidence of water intrusion from a bad seal. If it's getting water in it, it won't last much longer.

easttnboater
09-16-2016, 06:48 AM
What Steam Boat Willie said. The old Crown head pull a ton of amps.

Also, your waste system will be much happier if you use it the way it was designed to be used.

GoVols
09-16-2016, 08:07 AM
We used our Raritan Atlantes heads in our houseboat like normal toilets with no issues at all. Like any normal toilet, if you put a ton of TP in the toilet, it'll clog it up - the choker valve. None-the-less, I sure don't miss those stupid toilets!

Jolly Time
09-16-2016, 06:50 PM
You missed the point! I was trying to offer a quick fix or last ditch effort to repair before you break it apart. This is a new to me boat that was sitting idle for 6 years! It does draw a lot of amps, but using the battery charger helped dislodge the clog? And by the way the other reason for not wanting TP or #2 in my Head is that the system is completely 100% Original- 1970's.....as in NO Holding Tank!! Jolly Time

P.S. Found That Out the Hard Way! Black Tank is on Order!

easttnboater
09-19-2016, 07:23 AM
Urine is also considered human waste - so, technically, you are in violation by peeing and flushing.

Stmbtwle
09-19-2016, 10:22 AM
The battery charger is a little higher voltage than a battery, and if you connected it directly you bypassed any potential problems in the wiring. The very fact that you needed the charger tells me something is wrong besides a 'clog'. I'd STILL pull the pump motor and check it. It may be dying, and it's better to find out NOW than when you're in the middle of the lake with a bunch of guests.