PDA

View Full Version : kingscraft cuddy

42gibson
10-02-2016, 04:45 AM
some new people at our dock just bought a1971 55 kingscraft.beautiful boat just had a fresh head to toe remodel.my question is the previous owner told them it had a cuddy cabin and they took it out.we couldn't find anyway to access the front compartment unless going through a floor hatch.anyone know about them?

another question. the boat has a kohler generator.it runs fine till their out for a while then the engine compartment gets hot and the genny shuts down,the motors(302 fords) run about 120-130 degrees.i guess the previous owner had the same issues.other than that its a awesome boat.thanks in advance for the help.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
10-03-2016, 06:04 PM
55 Kings Craft did not have Cuddy as built. Limited overhead clearance is the reason. The 48 single level did but it had a much deeper hull. They were a rare bear. we owned one for a few years had Volvo diesels.

Frantically Relaxing
10-06-2016, 07:17 PM
I'm going to assume the Kohler has closed cooling like my Westerbeke, and if so, the genny likely isn't getting enough sea water. Impeller may need changing, thru-hull weed screen may be plugged, water filter (if one) may be almost plugged, water line may be sucking air due to a hole or a loose clamp... If yes to any of the above, what water is coming in will keep the engine coolant temp down for awhile, but not indefinitely...

easttnboater
10-07-2016, 05:35 AM
Also check the heat exchanger. You can easily remove the ends and see if it is clogged.

42gibson
10-07-2016, 07:18 AM
thanks everyone, were working on his generator this weekend and will let you know if we find anything.