PDA

View Full Version : Trifecta Huseboats, battery installations

Ike
12-21-2016, 07:10 PM
On another forum a person asked a question about water getting into the battery compartment on his houseboat, which he described as a Trifecta. Unfortunately that could be a Stardust, Sumerset or Thoroughbred. Anyway he said he had twelve batteries in a compartment in the bow of the boat. He took water over the bow which got into the compartment through a leaky hatch. I have never seen a houseboat with a battery compartment that large, that far forward. Usually the battery banks are back in the engine room or close by.

Anyone familiar with this layout? Why would they put them up forward? I can understand a small battery bank forward to run a windlass or winch (which is fairly common on large cruisers) But 12 batteries? Any info would be appreciated.

easttnboater
12-22-2016, 06:56 AM
That would be the battery compartment for the inverter batteries. It is probably 12 6 volt batteries. The ones that I have seen are all long thin compartments. It keeps the batteries separate from the rest of the bow storage.

42gibson
12-22-2016, 10:13 AM
our friends had a 75 foot horizon, it had 10 batteries in the front deck for the invertor

Ike
12-22-2016, 11:51 AM
Interesting. Thanks. In fact he called it the inverter compartment. This gives me a little more understanding of what is happening.

easttnboater
12-22-2016, 01:33 PM
The bigger question is where was he when he took water over the bow of his houseboat?

Ike
12-22-2016, 05:29 PM
He lives in Searchlight Nevada, so probably Lake Mead.

GoVols
12-29-2016, 09:28 AM
The hatch openings should have a drip channel that the hatch doors close on top of. Those channels should have a drain tube that allows any water that makes its way into the channel to drain out and not simply drain into the compartment itself. If his boat doesn't have these, it wouldn't be too hard to install. On a newer boat, I'd be surprised if it didn't have these drains. If the boat has them, ensure the tubes aren't clogged or kinked.

Thing is, if you're taking water over the bow, those drain tubes likely wouldn't help much anyway.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
12-30-2016, 08:50 AM
The danger of taking water over the bow is having the hatch being forced open. Not all houseboat hatches have the means to be secured closed.

Stmbtwle
12-30-2016, 12:10 PM
Yes that could be very serious business. A sea that can open your hatch for you can also take it off it's hinges, and then you're in real trouble.

Hatch dogs are available. Not all houseboats go where they're needed, but if you do, they are...
http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Lock_Door_Handle_Sets-Perko_0777_Flush_Mount_Door_or_Hatch_Latch_Sets.ht ml?gclid=COfp1NXGnNECFdcZgQodrF0AgA
http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Lock_Door_Handle_Sets-Seadog_T_Handle_Door_and_Hatch_Latch_Sets.html

easttnboater
01-03-2017, 06:36 AM
My bow hatches have the gutters and the drains, but they will not drain a substantial amount of water quickly. Storms blow up quickly on Lake Mead.