PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone Boating this year?

BananaTom
05-18-2018, 05:30 AM
Is anyone Boating this year?
It's kind of quite here.
Tell your story.

Miller Tyme
05-18-2018, 07:33 AM
Not yet, between the river being to high to clear the bridges between the dock and the river, and the pontoon in the shop we have been restricted to the roll of dock sitters.

altlrumy
05-20-2018, 10:10 AM
Been onboard since the 3rd week in march (Lake Powell). It was cold and windy for most of April, now it's getting hot and crowded, must be time to go home till fall.
altlrumy

42gibson
05-21-2018, 02:31 AM
our docks took a pretty good hit this winter with the flooding and ice flow,they still need work and now the river is up again. it'll be another late year but the boat is finally ready. we lost a fuel pump going out last year and stripped out a motor drain plug but its ready when we get the docks done and the river drops.

Stmbtwle
05-21-2018, 04:30 AM
Seems that between my health and her projects there's never time... I should find a buyer :(

easttnboater
05-21-2018, 11:02 AM
I am selling one boat and rehabbing another. So, I am at the lake a lot, but not necessarily a lot of boating.

JTAlberts
05-22-2018, 09:01 AM
I am currently boatless. That can't change soon enough.

Amelia
05-30-2018, 07:59 AM
The Lotus Eater has done a number of three-hour tours for a succession of visiting relatives recently, many of whom chose being rocked to sleep in the boat's overnight accommodations in preference to more civilized options in the house, 50 feet ashore. Duly sprinkled at the Blessing of the Fleet, we expect a safe and comfortable overnight or three before long... if it ever quits raining. Our planned spring flying trip to Alaska was postponed due to the pilot's eye surgery, which is now just about healed, so maybe we will do that before the snow flies in September. But for now, after some quick Mooney trips to a couple of family gatherings this month, there may yet be time to take the slow-boat on a little trip around the Albemarle Loop sometime yet this summer. Are we done with the construction? Of course not. Nor the re-painting and repairs from wood-boat deterioration. But the thing floats, the engines purr nicely, and the bed is comfortable. It'll do for now.

Stmbtwle
05-31-2018, 06:44 AM
Ha ha! I also get guests who prefer the boat to the house!

desimulacra
06-04-2018, 07:46 AM
Been out once. Lots of rain and storms on Kentucky lake.
One boat sunk, lack of maintenance, slip next to mine. Marina next tip ours blew away, very close calls but no one seriously hurt nor boats damaged.

Miller Tyme
06-17-2018, 04:46 AM
Finally got the big boat out for a ride, been out on the toon several times but the river gods have been holding the river too high to clear the bridges until this weekend.

42gibson
06-17-2018, 10:05 AM
we have decided after many years of boating its time to hang it up and list our boat and do some traveling.

easttnboater
06-18-2018, 05:30 AM
My "old" houseboat is under contract. Supposed to close this Thursday.

BananaTom
06-18-2018, 12:44 PM
I am no longer House Boating.
Doing it allot cheaper these days, on a 17 Boston Whaler with a 115, Dual Console.
I keep it on the driveway.
NO wet slip fees, NO pumps to fail, NO bottom job, NO monthly bottom cleaning (Salt water ya know).
Life is easier.

2.4 mikes to the boat ramp, and I am zipping around at 35 MPH.
We miss the House Boat, but not all the work / maintenance that goes with it.

Stmbtwle
06-18-2018, 05:50 PM
I know the feeling. The older we (and the boats) get, the harder it is to justify the hassle and expense.

42gibson
06-19-2018, 01:50 AM
I know the feeling. The older we (and the boats) get, the harder it is to justify the hassle and expense.

that's why were finally selling.i'll be 70 next month and it gets harder every year to keep the boat in the shape I want it in.

Stmbtwle
06-19-2018, 03:37 AM
Yeah... I'm 72 and the boat is over 40. It's just not the fun it used to be.

Amelia
07-09-2018, 07:50 AM
How sad to see people giving it up. We know the feeling. It's lovely for an afternoon excursion or even a weekend from time to time, ever so relaxing, but we haven't done the long-distance travel we expected to... in order to venture out into the Albemarle Sound, we find that winds under 10 knots make for a much more comfortable trip. Temps under 97 are also a good thing. We have yet to finish the window trim and ceiling panels... but the whole exterior needs to be painted now, having survived more than ten years of neglect. The Lotus Eater is still a cute conversation piece, though, and still an in-demand guest cottage right in our back yard. Surprising how many visitors opt to stay out there, when there's perfectly good guest space- with flush toilet, wifi and a/c inside.
Someday we may hire Paco and his amigos to give it a good painting, and motor it up the Chesapeake Bay, and thence to the Potomac River, rent dock space at the Capitol Yacht Club, and hire it out as an AirBnB to Washington DC visitors or a longer-term rental to a newly-minted congress critter. Tiny houses are much in vogue, and this one certainly qualifies. It's a thought... but it'll probably continue to rock at our own dock forever, offering overflow guest space and an excuse for a three-hour cruise.
Our son promises his dad a Viking funeral, offering to motor it out to sea and set fire to it, in lieu of embalming, etc. I wasn't consulted...

Ike
07-11-2018, 02:34 PM
Engine on my Sea Ray is dead dead dead. Looking for new engine (actually a good, running used engine. New new too expensive) Been fishing a couple of times but that's it. Doing odd jobs on the boat that I have been putting off so getting things done.

Bamby
07-12-2018, 01:55 PM
I lost my best very friend and other half of 20 years on March 12th. She wasn't well at the time but no one was suggesting she may expire from her condition either. Anyway shortly after wood I was also experiencing some health issues that I put off figuring it was something time would heal on it's own. Well I guess I was big time wrong on that count simply because on May 13th I was found just faintly breathing on the basement floor. Nobody knows how long I had laid there and I was only really found because of my dog. She had went off visiting a lot of my neighbors to the point where one of them came to see me about her and found me laying almost dead laying on the floor.

Now here it is almost the middle of July and I'm still a long way from regaining my strength back, and it's looking like long progressive road forward yet for me and I can't see my boat even getting wet this boating season. First loosing her then loosing my own health really makes for valuable memories of times I shared with my Wife, family, and friends on the water.

Ike
07-13-2018, 03:02 PM
Here's hoping you get better Bamby, much better. And get that dog a juicy snack or bone to chew on. She's a real treasure.

Zilpo55
07-24-2018, 09:02 AM
Wishing you a full recovery, Bamby and so very sorry for your loss. 2018 has been a rough year indeed. I hope you can resume some level of boating, if that brings you comfort like it does me.