PDA

View Full Version : Vibration when underway

SinOrSwim
08-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Took the boat out last night and noticed a vibration in my cabin as I was underway. Cut the trip short due to this but by the time I got back if I was above 2000 RPM, the whole cabin was vibratiing. In addition, the vibration got substantially worse if I increased RPM.s Wheel was straight forward. Would a U-Joint cause this? I don't think there is anything in the prop or wrong with the prop. They are Volvo Penta Outdrives with 5.0 L V-8's. Only the Starboard motor is doing it.

Thanks!

easttnboater
08-19-2013, 05:14 AM
A lot of things could cause it. I would check the prop first, then check to make sure you are firing on all 8 cylinders.

42gibson
08-19-2013, 01:09 PM
is it making any noise while underway?

SinOrSwim
08-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Had the boat pulled yesterday. U-joints look fine. The Gimbal Bearing was absolutely shredded. Looks like a muskrat or something chewed a hole through the bellows and let water in. Turns out I have a version of Volvo drives that NOBODY in our are works on too???? So, if the u-joints ever need replaced I have to send them away to do. But, our marina is able to replace the bearing which on these volvos is not called a gimbal bearing. CAlled an intermediate shaft bearing. THey said there is another bearing further in they are hoping isn't damaged because it would require the motor to be pulled to get at. Ugh. Gonna have both sides replaces along with bellows etc while it's out. I knew it wasn't a prop because it did it in neutral as well. Fingers crossed the inner bearing is good to go. Otherwise it will probably get put back together and put back in. Just couldn't drive it. Will have to do the other in the off-season when it comes out. They don't have time to do all that now.

easttnboater
08-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, they can get it back in for the rest of the summer. Can you say boat buck?

SinOrSwim
08-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Well, inside bearing is gone as well. Motor will need pulled to get at that one. Going to have it put back together and put back in water to finish our season here. We only have til October when they come out for winter storage. Will have everything done at that time. They said the challenge will be HOW they get the motor out. It's tucked under the back deck pretty good. A lot of the hatch opening is in front of the motor. The old saying BOAT, Bust Out Another Thousand I think is spelled wrong. There is a silent S before the T. Bust Out Another Several Thousand. Ugh. But, if we do it in off season, will be able to take time and really go through things and replace anything that is even close to needing replaced.

GoVols
08-23-2013, 05:46 AM
My neighbor has an older Somerset with a single 350 motor and Volvo outdrive. He told me last night that he found a hole in the side of his boot the other day when he was inspecting it. He's scheduled to be pulled out already in early September. He also has the Volvo outdrive you're talking about. He said his engine may need to be pulled as well.