PDA

View Full Version : Westebeke cooling problems

Zilpo55
10-07-2013, 05:38 AM
I replaced the impeller in our 2000 model Westerbeke 12.5 a few weeks ago after I noticed it was barely discharging any water. Impeller was shot, most of the fins were gone. However I am still not discharging much water. Just a trickle with short blasts about every 20 seconds (kind of like a percolator).

I removed both ends of the heat exchanger and flushed from one end with a hose. A little junk came out including a couple fins, but no improvement. Hull intake filter looks clean, but I also bypassed it by pulling the hose and sticking it in a bucket of water. What else should I check? Should I run a stick or wire through the heat exchanger?

easttnboater
10-07-2013, 05:44 AM
You need to find all of the vanes from the previous impeller. They will get stuck in pretty much any turn in the water path.

Stmbtwle
10-07-2013, 07:14 AM
Take the hose and fittings off the discharge side of the water pump. That's where I always find the parts to my impeller...

Miller Tyme
10-07-2013, 06:11 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What they said, need to find them all, its going to be like building a jigsaw puzzle, Time to start back flushing...

Zilpo55
10-09-2013, 12:35 PM
After looking at the manuals and cooling system diagrams, I see what you mean about places the fallout can hide. We'll be back to the boat this weekend. I am more dedicated to fixing this myself after hearing what a mechanic wants to come to my marina. Thanks to all.

Rushrush1
10-09-2013, 09:11 PM
I had a problem with flow on my westerbeke this year. Turned out the factory hose from the fuel cooler to the pump was calapsing under suction. After removing it you could see the metal support ribbing inside the hose had rusted and fell apart. The factory part has bends made into it as it runs under the oil pan from one side to the other. I just picked up a run of good hose and went around the front of the engine.

Zilpo55
10-13-2013, 06:53 PM
You guys were spot on! I can't believe how much junk I found in the discharge fitting of the pump. I took a quick look at it the day I replaced the impeller, but the stuff was way back inside. Water flow is back to normal. Thanks for the advice.

Stmbtwle
10-14-2013, 07:39 AM
Most of us have been there, done that. Welcome to the club!