PDA

View Full Version : Untypical Floor Plan Value?

Dan
07-30-2012, 02:21 PM
We are currently looking at a 16' X 67' Jametowner with what we have been told was a custom floor plan .....two bedrooms and only one bath. I suppose my biggest concern would be lack of value due to the one bath. I've never seen a boat of this size with just one. It does make for a nice open design, but just not sure how much one less bath takes away from the value. Any thoughts?

SinOrSwim
07-30-2012, 09:02 PM
I would prefer one bathroom vs. 2. Depends on teh buyers I guess.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
07-30-2012, 09:39 PM
On a boat with only 2 bedrooms tell me why you would need 2 bath rooms. 2 bedrooms indicate NORMAL accomodations for 4 people. Easily handled by 1 bathroom.

A bathroom is necessary but otherwise wasted space.

Several years ago, at the Houseboat Show, we toured a 3 bedroom house boat with 2 huge bath rooms. It had ONE hanging closet. Dumbest layout I've ever seen.

easttnboater
07-31-2012, 05:26 AM
If you are worried about deviations from standard, then that size boat would have "normally" had 3-4 bedrooms and 2 baths - one full and one 3/4. So, with 2 bedrooms and one bath, you are looking at quite a deviation from "normal". How does that affect price? Who really knows? I would say that it would affect the pool of people willing to buy it - the pool would be smaller. A smaller pool of potential buyers might lead to a harder sell and a lower price. All that being said, it is your money - spend it like you want. And, never assume that you will make money or come close to break even at resale.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
07-31-2012, 07:23 AM
Just a comment.

Most boats that size have more bedrooms and baths. Some are designed as rentals. Salon areas are usually compromised and closet space shorted. Most don't have enough pantry space.

I'd consider the boat your looking at, IDEAL for me and my wife. Were former liveaboards and your discription leads me to believe that it is very roomy and uncramped. Ideal for liveaboard and entertaining.

I really would like to see a layout. Could you post a few pictures.

If you pass on this boat please PM me as we have been looking.

Dan
08-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Thank you for all the great input. We still have not come to a decision, but I feel less that I should just rule it out completely. OHB, send you a PM.

Amelia
08-01-2012, 01:43 PM
To me, the most important consideration is, "How do YOU plan to use it?" How well would any particular layout suit your needs? If you want a more open layout, rather than one chopped up into a bunch of mostly-unused tiny bedrooms and teensy heads, if you like the idea of not having to traipse through the master stateroom to get to the back deck and swim platform, if you want a boat-ier helm, because you plan to do considerable traveling, and having it tucked away in a draperied corner wouldn't work so well for you, if you'll need real closets and adequate storage, then a non-traditional floorplan might be just the ticket. I would buy what I wanted, and not worry about resale. I'd let tomorrow take care of itself, but that's just me. Our floorplan is decidedly nontraditional. So far it's great-for the two of us--, but we're not entertaining dozens of friends and neighbors afloat for days on end.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
08-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Dan

You have PM.

Frantically Relaxing
08-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Value is what someone is willing to pay for something you're selling in relation to getting it somewhere else-- Most houseboats are probably(?) owned by several people in a time-share deal. Those boats are "load everybody up for vacation!" boats, and usually are built to accommodate several people. Boats that have single-owners, like most of ours, are STILL usually built to accommodate several people! Which is fine, but a big boat built for 2 to 4 people to sprawl out all over, is probably on the rare side! As easttnboater noted, you may have a smaller pool of buyers later, but those buyers have a smaller pool of available boats to look at. What you see as a possible poor value may be just the opposite? I know this much, when we were looking, if the word "bunk" was found anywhere in the ad description, we moved on.

Zilpo55
08-08-2012, 03:17 AM
One of the manufacturers' sites has a used custom boat with motorcycle garage. Pretty cool if you're a boater and a cyclist, but.................

Stmbtwle
08-08-2012, 08:04 AM
The motorcycle garage might be a good plus if you are in an area where you need to carry your land transportation with you.

As far as the 2br 1ba configuration is concerned, it boils down to how many people do you want to carry overnight, and how many bathrooms do you want to CLEAN and maintain.

Personally I'd PREFER the roomy 2/1 configuration over some ex-rental that slept 12 persons and had two or three tiny bathrooms to maintain.

Dan
08-08-2012, 06:22 PM
I saw the motorcycle garage boat.......interesting. I agree with the chopped up and bunk floor plans not being what I would need for sure, and after reading everyones posts thought we should give it a bit more thought. While giving it more thought the owner reduced the price by $16,000.00. This puts it more in line with what I feel the boat is worth, so we are going for a second look this weekend.

JTAlberts
08-14-2012, 07:48 AM
I'd like to see some pictures of it as well. I think this layout seems pretty good to me. I would prefer having more open space for living and entertaining than more bedrooms and another bathroom.

42gibson
08-14-2012, 07:53 AM
our gibson executive has a huge salon and a mid size galley, the bedroom fits a full size bed but we love the extra room in the salon. we spend more time in it than we do in bed anyway. its all what "you want" in a boat. we all have different needs and wants.by the way i have seen that boat with the motorcycle garage somewhere,it is different.

Amelia
08-14-2012, 09:57 AM
That we needed public space more than we'd need dedicated stateroom space was our reasoning, too. Accordingly, we only have one smallish stateroom, but the salon/galley astern, and the large cockpit forward both have comfortable space for entertaining. We had a relative and his kids sleep on Lotus Eater this weekend, and they were happy as clams to sleep on inflatable beds and foam pads in the salon. (We are a little furniture-deficient at this point in the construction, but they didn't seem to mind, being delighted with the adventure.) The point being, that for short-term use, and with inflatable beds, ANY room big enough for it becomes a bedroom, with the advantage that it becomes NOT a bedroom when it needs to be communal space instead. We've also threatened to pitch tents on the top deck, too, if too many folk want to come along for the ride.
v

Dan
08-14-2012, 04:09 PM
An update: I think we are going to pass on this one, oddly enough not so much the boat as the dock. It is on a non covered dock with all larger tin bottom boats, with no other slip to move to. All these large boats with big roofs coming out made the dock seem very tight. Also, when you and your neighbor both open your blinds you're both on the same boat! I'm fortunate to have snagged an end slip on a covered and wider dock several years ago. When I open my blinds I'm looking out into the lake. Plus we are good friends with several of our dock mates. So something more along the lines of a Gibson Executive might better fit the bill. Also really hate to give up those twin 454's! JT, the boat we were considering is on Boat Trader zip 47401 98 Jamestowner, if you would like to look at pictures.

JTAlberts
08-15-2012, 05:12 PM
An update: I think we are going to pass on this one, oddly enough not so much the boat as the dock. It is on a non covered dock with all larger tin bottom boats, with no other slip to move to. All these large boats with big roofs coming out made the dock seem very tight. Also, when you and your neighbor both open your blinds you're both on the same boat! I'm fortunate to have snagged an end slip on a covered and wider dock several years ago. When I open my blinds I'm looking out into the lake. Plus we are good friends with several of our dock mates. So something more along the lines of a Gibson Executive might better fit the bill. Also really hate to give up those twin 454's! JT, the boat we were considering is on Boat Trader zip 47401 98 Jamestowner, if you would like to look at pictures.

I love the boat just because of the grill cover in the last picture.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
08-15-2012, 06:32 PM
An exposed boat ages 5 times faster than shed kept. The ultimate boat for us was our 55 Pluckebaum. Scarce but AWESOME.

50 Executives are available with 454s. Great boats. Look on the Tennessee river for a shed kept unit. Also check out Montecellos.

42gibson
08-22-2012, 06:42 AM
dan, there are 3 50 ft executives on yachtworld. we just bought a 44 executive. it sat for 3 years not being used. it was a dirty mess with alot of repairs to make just from sitting that long but it is huge inside. the 1 floor level and a good cruising speed is great.the only thing i dont like is how high the bow rides when cruising, it throws a wave you could surf on.

JTAlberts
08-23-2012, 07:25 PM
dan, there are 3 50 ft executives on yachtworld. we just bought a 44 executive. it sat for 3 years not being used. it was a dirty mess with alot of repairs to make just from sitting that long but it is huge inside. the 1 floor level and a good cruising speed is great.the only thing i dont like is how high the bow rides when cruising, it throws a wave you could surf on.

I have that problem with the kingscraft. I can only run it around 1100 rpms (which is good enough) without throwing a large wake.

Stmbtwle
08-24-2012, 04:24 AM
A big wake is wasted horsepower/fuel... Are you really in that big of a hurry?

JTAlberts
08-24-2012, 07:14 AM
A big wake is wasted horsepower/fuel... Are you really in that big of a hurry?

If I am running late getting to the riverfront for the fireworks I am. I have to slow up to pass 3 sets of docks so I don't put them on the beach.