PDA

View Full Version : What did you do to your houseboat today.

DitchRider
07-10-2012, 05:34 AM
Seeing how we are more or less starting from scratch here I though I'd start a new thread that hopefully will generate some activity and perhaps even spark some ideas

Anyway here's what we did.

Pulled from the new houseboat from water for a bottom paint and topside compound/wax.

We'll also take the old name off, rip the carpet out and getting ready for a bit of a refit..

desimulacra
07-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Put down new floor in bedroom and hall. Always wanted a Mahogany wood floor. Very Happy with the way it turned out. I did not take pictures except of Max. He is my guard Giraffe.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i14/desimulacra/1977%20Sumerset%20Houseboat/100_0265.jpg

Amelia
07-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Installing the shower stall and drain today. Woohooo! Maybe by this time next week we will have actual running water, but I wouldn't place large bets. Been too darn hot to work on it.

Tony B
07-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Took the dinghy off the roof and used an old set of davits to hang it off the back of the boat.

42gibson
07-10-2012, 01:04 PM
took 1 carb off the old boat and getting it rebuilt for the future new owner,whoever it may be lol

Miller Tyme
07-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Recarpeted the steps to the upper deck, spent last Thursday and Friday carpeting the front deck (in 104 degree heat)

harvrbt
07-10-2012, 07:01 PM
This is funny, what did you do the houseboat today and we all have something to share! Says something about houseboating, it is a handymans hobby. We put our boat back in the water the 21st of June after being out all winter, added new outboards and some minor updates. Were on the boat over the 4th for 5 days and finished installing the top cover and shade cloth. If it will let me I will post a pic.https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-w5kO4KuTuFI/T_zfH6iUHAI/AAAAAAAAAAk/hA2CgzT_uuk/h120/Boat+on+island.jpg

easttnboater
07-11-2012, 05:43 AM
Replaced both carbs on the drive engines last week. After sitting for three years before I bought the boat, the old carbs were too gummed up to mess with.

Also had to sweep the top and all the decks off several days in a row due to the storms that blew leaves and twigs all over the boat.

GoVols
07-11-2012, 06:22 AM
I had to replace my marine air's intake hose because the old one was worn out. Simple enough job, right? No! somehow it developed an air leak and wouldn't suck water from the lake. After asking each neighbor for a tube of calking and finding 3 of 4 dried up, I finally got the air leak somewhat fixed and the air is running again. For some reason, the previous owner put a 5/8" diameter hose on the intake when it should have a 3/4" or 1" HOSE. I still have an air leak somewhere, as the strainer basket still isn't 100% full of water. It's only sitting at 90% full, which still works. How can a stupid hose make this much trouble?!

SinOrSwim
07-11-2012, 10:29 AM
I am going to try and figure out why my water won't work in my kitchen but works fine in the bathroom. Worked perfectly befoere we took it out last weekend. Got back, hooked the water up and no water in kitchen.

JTAlberts
07-11-2012, 01:01 PM
I plan on finishing hooking up my battery monitor tonight. We'll see how that goes.

Frantically Relaxing
07-11-2012, 05:35 PM
"today" , like most weekdays lately I'm at home, at work. But I have done a few things this SEASON:

fixed the roof over our bedroom-

got a new bar & chairs for the upper deck--

Found a broken "T" in the pex waterline, the hot side to the bathroom sink. It was leaking along the edge of starboard side hull about midship, and the water ended up at the front bulkhead-- scared the hell outta me, thought we'd sprung a leak! All fixed--

Before fixing the leak I decided I needed some better light in the basement, so I installed a pair of 4" florescent fixtures. It's like blazing sunlight down there now compared to the single 60w bulb that's been down there forever!

Last weekend I started sanding on the flybridge, it's all that's left to do with the repaint (that I started 2 years ago!)

Stmbtwle
07-12-2012, 04:56 AM
Worked on it. What else does one do with a boat???? :p

ShoreBound
07-12-2012, 01:06 PM
We spent 9 days on the houseboat in the Mojave Desert over the 4th of July week. Amazingly cool, with temperatures barely reaching 100 degrees, which is unusual for us this time of year. Worked on the outdrive, and pressure washed the whole boat. I forgot to use my spinning brush to hit the sides of the boat. It works very well at removing that chalky residue from the fiberglass. Then, of course I would need to wax it right away. Maybe that's why I forgot!

GoVols
07-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Be sure to use a wax-safe-soap when washing the boat. If you don't, the soap can strip the wax you just paid big $$ to put on there off and allow for the nice chalky junk to start showing. I bought Mequire's Boat Wash. It's gentle enought that it won't strip the wax. So far, so good.

pirate
07-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Put a new bilge pump on.

They will have all the posts you made on the old forum up soon. Everything will be the same as to how long a member etc.

DitchRider
07-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Next we'll be ripping out the old carpet and putting fresh carpet and furniture....

Then I get to hunt for a new bimini for the flybridge and a few other minor repairs.

42gibson
07-14-2012, 04:11 AM
well the last carb is done and back on. the boat is running very very good. the other boat we just bought( 44 gibson executive) is still in knoxville getting the bottom done and having the decks and roof gelcoat sanded off and re-applied. hopefully it will get here this summer.

easttnboater
07-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Replaced a 20 yr old Raritan Crown head with a new Marine Elegance. Pretty easy install. Quieter, uses half the amps, and will flat process the "stuff" that goes in it.

Tony B
07-16-2012, 06:05 PM
On the newer houseboat - the one without the flag pole, I ripped up the carpet in the main salon

42gibson
07-17-2012, 02:35 AM
that thing sure has alot of hatches tony.

JTAlberts
07-17-2012, 07:57 AM
I can tell you what I did today on my neighbor's boat. I cursed at it hoping the electric would get fixed!!

DitchRider
07-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Carpet is getting ripped out now and we are replacing all the wood paneling in the master stateroom.

woohoo :confused:

DitchRider
07-24-2012, 01:20 PM

We tore the master stateroom down to bare wood framing to make some repairs from some long past window leaks... We located some rot in the very far port corner and ripped out all the rot and that unfortunately means that the built in drawers got demolished.

New nearly matching paneling is installed... doesn't look too bad... total cost less than $400...

It's not too bad overall.... Gibson did an good job on making this easy to repair.. We'll be putting brand new panel in and carpeting down tomorrow...

I think that instead of putting the drawers back we'll leave that space open for a nice reading nook and ultra comfy chair... We'll build a custom bed frame with drawers to replace the lost storage.

JTAlberts
07-26-2012, 08:23 PM
I fixed my electrical issues!!!!!

easttnboater
07-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Have not done anything so far, but as soon as my plane lands and drive out there I plan to sit up on the roof and have a cold one (or two).

Bamby
08-04-2012, 03:34 AM
We ended up spending the biggest part of Saturday last weekend cleaning up all the spider doo to an acceptable level. The spiders have been absolutely horrible this year!! After the cleansing I sprayed it all down with Bifen and to our satisfaction on Sunday the only spiders to be found were all the "dead spiders". We're seriously hoping that when we get back to the boat sometime today we can settle right down and enjoy it without having to spend a lot of time chasing cobwebs throughout the entire exterior of the boat. :)

42gibson
08-05-2012, 03:18 PM
well lets see. the new boat(to us) arrived 4 hours late tuesday,1/2 block before the ramp the hauler tore the horns and all the wiring for them from the roof.his words were" i thought it looked close".the new gel coat was still tacky when they shipped it,the road grime in it now has to be rubbed out with comet and simple green. the marina said it was the wax coming to the surface that was making it tacky thus the comet and simple green. i hope to have it all done by this weekend.all in all,just another fun week..........lol

JTAlberts
08-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Rick,

I am sorry I just missed you the other weekend. Did the hauler pay for the horns?

DitchRider
08-06-2012, 01:47 PM
After shopping to weeks I decided on the Good F850C anchor windlass and pivoting anchor roller for our 50'er.

Special thanks to Tom at Good Windlass for excellent support and a fair price and excellent service from a Made in the USA company!!!! Way to go and Thanks!!!

Look for pictures as soon as we get it installed and rigged up on M/V DitchRider..

42gibson
08-07-2012, 04:15 AM
yes, i took 300 off his bill.now if i could get my 4400 back for the crappy gel coat job.

DitchRider
08-07-2012, 04:53 AM
yes, i took 300 off his bill.now if i could get my 4400 back for the crappy gel coat job.

I was discussing substandard and difficult craftsmen with the guy that came buy and purchased the old VHF's off our Gibson (we upgraded)...

Maybe it's time for a Marine Angieslist type service to get built?

We've been real lucky with vendors but I've heard some horror stories from people who've had vendor issues.

Amelia
08-07-2012, 07:40 AM
The insulation fellow called this morning at 0645 to announce his guys would be here to install insulation in an hour. Ohhhhh, help! We got an early start, rushing out to pick up everything that could possibly be in the way. So the men arrived, the insulation is mostly in, and oh, my, is it quiet in there all of a sudden. Now we really, really need to get going on staining and installing about a zillion cypress t&g boards... it's downright fuzzy looking in there.

The shower stall insert needs to be glued to the walls that are now in place, the C-Head is in its permanent location and works just fine- not a whiff of odor so far, and we have about 10 large jobs to do, each of which must be finished before any of the others can be done. :rolleyes: So, if we can find a good bit of surplus energy, we will have made some visible progress this month!

DitchRider
08-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Taking the dated cabinets out and ripping the master head down to bare wood. New vanity, floors and walls will be in and done by Monday.

JB

JTAlberts
08-07-2012, 05:38 PM

Is it still tacky? I am amazed at how the marine world seems like a hard place to find quality work anymore. There are some local guys here that do the work, but they aren't much quality or trustworthy.

fisheatingbagel
08-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Last week I finally located the source of an intermittent problem that has plagued me for almost 2 years. On occasion, the port engine would stop for no apparent reason. It would crank and run as long as the starter was engaged, but would die afterwards. I assumed the coil resistor was going bad since it would run while the starter was engaged (which bypasses the resistor). Then it would start working again, and I would forget about it. Finally it stopped and wouldn't start again. Checked voltage at resistor, nothing. Checked voltage on output of ignition switch and that was okay. After checking the ignition switch, though, it started again with no problem. Then died. Checked voltage at switch output again, nada. Nothing on input either. I jiggled the wire than runs from the +12v block to the switch and found that it had a loose connection to the terminal under the heat shrink.
The DC wiring on my boat is a total mess. It really needs to be redone. Looking under the helm at the wiring for the gauges and switches is very depressing. Lots of things pig tailed off other things. Other wires hanging loose, not connected. I did install a 12v terminal and ground block and have been routing stuff to this as I go.

DitchRider
08-08-2012, 02:13 PM
The good news is that the fine folks at Ascot Enterprises came through big time and got me a quote to replace all of the window shades in our boat for a figure that is 30% of what Gibson said they could do it. I couldn't give them my credit card number fast enough.

The bad news:

I need to replace both LectraSan MC units onboard as the previous owner's mechanic litterally installed them backwards (in the outpipe). ughhh

mike d
08-11-2012, 10:17 PM
just bought my first houseboat yesterday going tomorrow to clean and access what all need to be done

Amelia
08-12-2012, 04:40 AM
Hurray! Looking forward to a full report. I hope, with all the work to be done- and I'm sure there will be lots of it, no matter how lovely it looks- that there will be plenty of time for good fun and relaxation, too.
Share pictures?

42gibson
08-12-2012, 04:52 AM
yes its still tacky, they didnt use a mold release agent on it. the gelcoat was still tacky when it was shipped so all the road grime from the trip was in the gelcoat.when i called the he said to use simple green and comet to clean it. the only problem there was it was taking the gelcoat off as well. then he sent me enough release agent to do 120 sq. ft. the problem is that the roof alone is 420 sq. ft. what a mess because they didnt take the time to do the finish work right.

mike d
08-12-2012, 07:42 AM
it is a 37 foot boatel. here is my first attempt at posting pics

Professor Dawghair
08-12-2012, 07:09 PM
First time posting but I've lurked for over a year. Didn't do anything "to" my boat, but my wife and I took it out and beached it alone for the first time today. Grilled out as the sun set. Good times!

Bought our Lazy about year ago and have been rennovating it ever since. Finally have it close to finished. Have really enjoyed learning about houseboats by reading this forum. Thanks all!

Amelia
08-13-2012, 05:37 AM
What a grand day, Prof! Thanks for sharing, and welcome!
We took our 'Lotus Eater', a half-finished home-made houseboat, out for the day for lunch in a secluded creek across the Albemarle Sound, let the visiting relatives kayak, explore waterlily-clogged cypress-swamp edges, fish- (no joy), and drive the boat between closely-spaced crab pots. Like a slalom ski run in very slow motion. Led me to wonder what is it about clearly-marked channels that our crab fishermen do not understand? Everything, would be my guess.

Professor Dawghair
08-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Thanks Amelia -- I've kept up with the Lotus Eater... have enjoyed your updates.

I plan to post some before and after pictures of the Fais-do-do when I get some spare time.

Stmbtwle
08-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Fishing/crabbing/shrimping is always better in the marked channels... I never could understand why.

42gibson
08-14-2012, 07:58 AM
well the gelcoat finally hardened. there are places on the roof that i rubbed through with the cleanser trying to clean it while it was still tacky and soft.alot of staining on the roof yet. the marina called me and is going to send 2 men up in the fall to fix the problems even if it means doing the whole boat over.i cant ask for anything more than that.

mike d
08-14-2012, 10:36 PM
back from my first weekend on the new to me houseboat. didnt get much work done but caught lots of fish. she seems to be pretty solid mechanically just needs some tlc and redecorating i did find a wet area in the bed room that i will have to search out the cause and fix before the recarpet we did do some general cleaning inside and got new bed linens. allready begining to look like a different boat with just this little bit of work. stayed 2.5 days and wish we had bought a houseboat years ago. my current plans for improvment are new carpet and tile thruout, wash compound and wax, only has a porta pottie right now and discharges grey water overboard so i am reserching how to add waste tanks and marine head thinking about putting in a built in seats and table that will convert to another sleeping area where the table and chairs are now.also want to have new marble or granite look (aka fake) countertops and new fixtures. of course i cant afford all thes improvements at once . the leak and toilet situation are the priority right now the rest will just have to be done as finances allow. we think we have decided on a name for the boat. it is located on watts bar lake in tn. we are thinking of calling it "watts up dock" took some new pics but dont have them off the camera yet will post when i get them on the computer. any comments sugestions etc will be appreciated as i am brand new to houseboating only owned one for 5 days so far I hope to learn from the experienced people here.

capnmorgan
08-15-2012, 12:54 AM
back from my first weekend on the new to me houseboat. didnt get much work done but caught lots of fish. she seems to be pretty solid mechanically just needs some tlc and redecorating i did find a wet area in the bed room that i will have to search out the cause and fix before the recarpet we did do some general cleaning inside and got new bed linens. allready begining to look like a different boat with just this little bit of work. stayed 2.5 days and wish we had bought a houseboat years ago. my current plans for improvment are new carpet and tile thruout, wash compound and wax, only has a porta pottie right now and discharges grey water overboard so i am reserching how to add waste tanks and marine head thinking about putting in a built in seats and table that will convert to another sleeping area where the table and chairs are now.also want to have new marble or granite look (aka fake) countertops and new fixtures. of course i cant afford all thes improvements at once . the leak and toilet situation are the priority right now the rest will just have to be done as finances allow. we think we have decided on a name for the boat. it is located on watts bar lake in tn. we are thinking of calling it "watts up dock" took some new pics but dont have them off the camera yet will post when i get them on the computer. any comments sugestions etc will be appreciated as i am brand new to houseboating only owned one for 5 days so far I hope to learn from the experienced people here.

Looks like Caney Creek I may run into you sometime.

mike d
08-15-2012, 08:03 AM
it is caney creek

mike d
08-15-2012, 10:23 AM
use this link to view
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3116126161854.103212.1825487282&type=1&l=e502aea318
may have to copy and past to your browser

capnmorgan
08-15-2012, 04:46 PM
it is caney creek

Our pontoon is just down from your slip should bump you sometime.

Frantically Relaxing
08-17-2012, 07:58 AM
My lastest project was attempting to bird-proof our upper deck after finding a truckload of bird poop upstairs last weekend. We have lots of bugs, and that means we have about a bazillion swallows. The poor sailboat owner's boats are plastered too. But our problem is the canopy trusses make great bird perches...

http://www.engraver1.com/boatfix2/rafters1.jpg

I figure about 30 birds can fit themselves on each truss, and there's 12 trusses. Took over 2 hours with the powerwasher to clean up the mess.

So I spent $14 on tarps and took care of the problem...

http://www.engraver1.com/boatfix2/rafters2.jpg

Checked the boat after 4 days, and not a drop of poop under the canopy now. :)

DitchRider
08-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Took out the Lectra/San units and re-plumbed the heads to the holding tank

Bath/Head remodel is almost done!! woo-hoo!

New genset waterpump installed

Next up a brand new Good Automatic Windlass.

We've spent a ton of money in getting this boat rehab'd and we're almost done!! Absolutely worth it.. I think...

Stmbtwle
08-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Sunset cruise this evening, with dinner and wine on board.

42gibson
08-23-2012, 07:16 PM
i finally got the grill mounted on the new boat. we have friends from the dock coming for a first supper. the grill fire goes out, i relight it and lose a eyebrow. what can i say? i love boating. by the way, the dinner went well.

DitchRider
08-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Woo Hoo!

Finally got the vast majority of the work done on our 50' "The Ditch Rider" .. Here are some before and after shots!

Just gonna put a new windlass and anchor on her and she is ready to go prowling the ditch down here in South Florida

Salon Before 41

Salon After 42

Head Before 43

Head After 44

JTAlberts
08-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Ditch,

Did you go with MotionWindows? What kinda price were they for the larger sliders? How long was the wait time?

DitchRider
08-26-2012, 05:51 PM
JT..

We were lucky that the windows were more or less in good condition and we only needed to disassemble and clean them.

42gibson
08-26-2012, 06:02 PM
ditch, what kind and size boat ir it? by the way, what you have shown looks great.

JTAlberts
08-26-2012, 07:31 PM
JT..

We were lucky that the windows were more or less in good condition and we only needed to disassemble and clean them.

After looking at earlier pics it looks like the stock windows as it is a newer boat. I have been trying to determine when to replace my windows and what kind of cost.

DitchRider
08-27-2012, 03:41 AM

Thanks it is a 1999 50' Cabin Yacht..

Thanks for the compliment!

Stmbtwle
08-27-2012, 06:42 AM
Yesterday: Under the warning of a 5' storm surge, moved the RETREAT away from the dock with several anchors and longer than normal mooring lines. Turned out to be much ado about not very much; no surge, not much wind here on Tampa Bay. Today I have to go raise all the anchors with the dinghy and move everything back... Grrrr. better to be safe than sorry though.

zeller
09-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Being a new houseboater, in the last 7 days, I have completed the purchase of my new 1987 62' Hilburn. I also arraigned for the seller, the inspector, the transporter and myself to meet for the marine inspection (passed with flying colors), paid the seller ($$$), and watched the transporter load her out of Herrington Lake in Kentucky and haul her up to her winter home (on land) in Cincinnati, Ohio. I have measured for new blinds/curtains, picked out new decor, picked out a color scheme and started looking into marine satelite tv! Also trying to sell my Trojan Express Cruiser so I can fund some of these remodel projects. I think I'm going to like this Houseboating Stuff! Wish me Luck!!!!

Tony B
09-09-2012, 01:34 PM
After being gone for 7 weeks, I finally made it home about 2 weeks ago. When I was there, I removed the dinette table which is a thick oak frame around a plywood insert. The insert had pink Formica. I removed the formica from the plywood and replaced it with white Formica. I gave the frame to my old woodworking business and am paying them to strip it. I will refinish it in the natural color. I also took the blue cushions to an upholsterer and had them recovered in white vinyl.
Hopefully, when I get home in another 5 weeks, I can finish off the dinette. For those of you that know me, I am referrring to the newer pointy houseboat. The one without the giant flag poles.
Hopefully, we can move aboard by the end of the year. If life was normal, we would be able to but this year, all I do is work - not that I am complaining about the extra income before I retire next year. That will just set our plans behind about 2 months. We have not, and don't foresee our plans to motor up to Ky. Lake as changing.

DitchRider
09-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Picked up a larger Delta anchor at the local Nautical Flea Market.
Picked up a new West Marine Tortola 13.0 Kayak... Now have two ...yaks on board.

Jolly Time
09-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Like Tony, I now have a pointy end houseboat !!! This one is in much better shape structurally than the Nautaline, but its All original. Did I mention it's a '76 model?? Picture orange shag carpet and velvet cushions!! Well, I ripped out all the peeling paneling and as much of the carpet as I could by hand. Next time I'll bring a heat gun to help get all the carpet off the walls. Also got the port ehgine running and srayed 4 cans of WD-40 in the starboard engine cylinders!!

Tony B
09-10-2012, 05:29 AM
Congrats on your hippy hut. Orange shag brings back lots of memories. For some reason, orange shag became the flavor of the day. Had that in my old VW micro bus.

n36511
09-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Removed port side railing on my 83 Gibson 44. Cleaned the deck and the feet of the railing. Used 4200 to fill the screw holes and make a small bed of caulk for each foot and reattached to the boat. Took about 2 hours. Did find some rot so will end up having to redo railing when I redo deck :(

Miller Tyme
09-10-2012, 06:15 PM
This will teach the wife not to let me go drinking with someone thats selling his boat.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/1522/60351051652928836077515.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/60351051652928836077515.jpg/)

DitchRider
09-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Took off all the decals on the Gibson... they took a beating over the past few years baking in the Florida sun..

I was quoted $2K by the local decal shop to redo them in stickers. Opted to paint them in Awlgrip instead.. cost will be $600.

I promise before and after pics to follow.

I love rehabbing boats.

Amelia
09-14-2012, 06:10 AM
We looked out at the near-calm out our front window, took note of the NE 5-10 forecast and headed across the Albemarle Sound for a delightful lunch at Mackey's Marina. Halfway there, the ride got bouncy with 2.5' seas. No worries. Docked without incident in lovely Mackeys Creek as if we knew what we were doing, chatted with some fun locals, and aimed northbound by mid afternoon. Oh, my. The waves were now white capped, and we rolled alarmingly from side to side, as waves broke over the bow, and poured into the two forward hatches, filling them. The little bilge pumps did their best, but no match for the onslaught. Good news: Boat floats adequately and is easily-enough controlled in that condition, though its nose-down appearance must have looked funny. Got to rethink those forwardmost hatches. Suggestions welcome.

DitchRider
09-14-2012, 11:02 AM
That is so nice looking is it throughout the boat? I would be interested to know how you did it, just the same as in a house?

GJ. What post are you responding to?

Tony B
09-14-2012, 11:53 AM
.............. Got to rethink those forwardmost hatches. Suggestions welcome.

Amelia, are your forward hatches leaking? or were they just open?
Also do you have bilge pumps in each compartment of the hulls?
Bilge pumps and float switches are not the place to cheap-out. I use the electronic switches and have been using them for about 8 years on various boats. The regular float switches are not that reliable. At least for me they weren't . Lots of failures with them.

JTAlberts
09-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Ordered new exhaust manifolds. Lost the drain plug last night and thought we were going down for the count. I don't need to chance it a 3rd time.

GJSmith
09-15-2012, 08:50 AM
I thought I was replying to a post about hardwood put in a boat. I can't even find the post....ooops so I deleted my previous post

GJ. What post are you responding to?

OLD HOUSEBOATER
09-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Amelia

Do you have latches on the hatches? They will float open in head seas.

easttnboater
09-17-2012, 05:28 AM
Replaced the sending units on all three gas tanks.

42gibson
09-17-2012, 05:24 PM
today, we woke up on the boat and it was 52 degrees outside so we had coffee and watched the today show. now, shortly it will be time to change all the fuids and filters on both boats and winterize them. were pulling one out when we get back from vegas next week, then the other sometime in november. where did summer go?

Zilpo55
09-24-2012, 06:22 AM
Sunday morning, it was 38 degrees on Lake Cumberland. Hot coffee and watched the steam rise through our marina. I love fall, but I'm not looking to the pre-winter chores.

JTAlberts
09-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Have 2 of 4 exhaust manifolds replaced. Have to wait on some parts to finish up the other two.

DitchRider
11-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Ditchrider got hauled out..

1: remount poorly mounted swim platform. Gibson didn't through bolt and use mounting plates. Corrected this.. much better now

2: re-striped the hull

3: Fixed some dock-rash.

4: new dripless through hulls

DitchRider
12-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Took off all of the old rail canvas. New rail canvas to go on shortly.

42gibson
12-26-2012, 02:56 PM
well, we finally got the 44 covered and put to bed for the winter. in the spring we will throw everything inside away and repaint the entire interior,replace all the blinds,furniture,heads and anything else that can be taken out. the 42 we have that we crashed in october is going to fox chapel marine in pittsburgh as soon as the hauler can pick it up. it needs the hull repaired,new starboard rudder,prop,prop shaft,strut bearing and who knows about the mechanical untill the obvious is fixed. were going snowmobiling in jan. have fun.

Tony B
12-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Slow progress.
Still working on my Teak and Holly Floor and Canvas guy and gal are working on my new enclosures for the fly bridge and aft deck.
Also bought some new wallpaper today.

Amelia
12-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Turns out that even in its uncompleted state, the Lotus Eater makes a perfectly lovely master suite. Given our big extended family arrived for Christmas, Himself and I abandoned our own shoreside bedroom to our guests, and repaired to our luxurious floating quarters out back. We were accompanied by two small grandsons, who were tickled with the whole concept. One little Pelonis ceramic heater kept the whole boat at 60 to 62 degrees, 20* warmer than outside, which was fine. We had worked all week before the holiday crowd descended on us, pickling, trimming, and nailing cypress T&G boards to the insulated studs, sucking up bushels of sawdust. Looks nice! Just a few more to go, and then we can start on the window and door trim. The queen-size air bed covered with a thermal-foam pad was totally luxurious. Oh, and the week allowed us time to give our C-Head 'composting' toilet a proper workout, and we're pleased to say so-far-so-good. Absolutely no odor, and even the wee fellows had no trouble with it.

Stmbtwle
12-29-2012, 05:55 AM
One of the pleasures of keeping the boat behind the house!

Tony B
01-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Began getting serious about my new teak and holly floor in the salon yesterday and today. All of the removable floor boards are now complete with the exception final sanding and finishing. Once completed, they will be put in place and then the permanent surrounding perimeter will be done.
At the same time, I replaced the macerator in the forward head and rebuilt the head itself. Work on floor in the mornings and misc $hit in the afternoon.
The attached photo shows the panels in pplace for a test fit.

42gibson
01-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Began getting serious about my new teak and holly floor in the salon yesterday and today. All of the removable floor boards are now complete with the exception final sanding and finishing. Once completed, they will be put in place and then the permanent surrounding perimeter will be done.
At the same time, I replaced the macerator in the forward head and rebuilt the head itself. Work on floor in the mornings and misc $hit in the afternoon.

looks good tony. god i love boats,you always have something to do.

DitchRider
01-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Teak and Holly is beautiful... paying for it.. not so much

Tony B
01-22-2013, 07:42 PM
l... paying for it.. not so much

Not too bad. I paid $122/sheet of 4' X 8" X 1/4" and bought 3 sheets. I glued that onto 3/4" cabinet grade birch plywood - 2 sheets.

Total cost approx $550 for an 8 1/2 X 10' room (think).

Amelia
02-08-2013, 01:04 PM
I bought it a little tender... an inflatable tandem kayak. We shall see when this latest spate of winter weather passes, just how good an idea that was, but inflated in the living room, it looks like a lot of fun.

Endurance
02-08-2013, 01:57 PM
What kind did you end up buying? I have been looking at them too and would love some of your thoughts.

Amelia
02-09-2013, 10:56 AM
I bought a Sea Eagle Fast Track 385 from Inflatableboats4Less.com. Very nice people. On their recommendation, I bought the "classic", i.e., last year's model for cheaper. This year's model is lighter and sleeker looking. I got the kind with the inflatable seats. It was promptly delivered, well-packaged, looks very sturdy, was easy to assemble. Seemed comfortable enough sitting on the living room rug. It feels a lot heavier and bulkier than the advertised 35 pounds, but I think the advertising division did the weighing, and seats, paddles, and repair kit don't count. Not a single-hand launch for this old lady, anyway. Uninflated and folded, it would fit fine in any of several storage lockers, but ready-to-use, there's plenty of room for it on the back deck. I may persuade His Lordship to rig me a couple of pulleys to haul it up to the back deck overhead, out of the way when it's not in use. If it ever gets warmer and the wind dies down, I'll let you know how it goes. I'm not a fan of delayed gratification, but it's in the 40s, with a gusty and brisk north wind. Tomorrow isn't supposed to be an improvement, but next week may find me brave enough to venture out. Stand by for hilarious 'Grandmama Tumbles into the Drink' video.

Stmbtwle
02-09-2013, 01:45 PM
I decided my old homebuilt skiff with it's 2 hp motor was just too slooooooooow, and it won't take a bigger motor, so I'm TRYING to get a 10' Livingston dinghy/tender, but the dealer is having all kinds of problems... The first motor was too new and the parts to install it weren't available; so I had to settle for their suggestion which is like 17# heavier. Now they can't get IT to work properly. Apparently the motor runs fine, but kicks water into the stern of the boat (not good). GRRRRRR!

Amelia
02-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Got a chance to try out the little kayak. Works as advertised. Tracks very straight, easy to paddle. The seats are comfortable enough for me, but I can see we will have to do some seat-modifying/augmenting for Rob's hinky back to be happy for very long. For him, the backrest needs to be taller and wider. I think we can work something out, but it is sure to look weird.

Bill, that sounds frustrating!

Tony B
02-21-2013, 07:03 PM
I applied walnut veneer to a new settee I am building for my pointy fronted houseboat today. Other than that hour, i went sailing on the other pointy houseboat, the one with some flag poles on the deck. Rained most of the time but it was great

Zilpo55
02-23-2013, 04:30 AM
Replaced batteries in DC house system.

Stmbtwle
02-23-2013, 06:54 AM
Check out the strainer in the end of the galley faucet.

Stmbtwle
02-23-2013, 07:06 AM
FINALLY got the new dinghy... after nearly a month!
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/stmbtwle/MV%20Retreat/100_0815_zps5a61d2d6.jpg

42gibson
02-23-2013, 06:23 PM
took both heads out of the boat.threw one away rebuilt the other with a new motor and pump kit. ordered a new jabsco for the main head.when it gets above 50 i'll take out all the carpet and blinds,then paint the entire inside. were putting wood floors in the upper deck and new carpet in the cuddys plus all new custom blinds.that should take care of this years fun money.

DitchRider
03-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Yes it is boring but routine maintenance was called for.... belts, oil, filters.

easttnboater
03-28-2013, 05:22 AM
Let's see - so far this off season I:

1. Added a ceiling fan in the den area - what a PITA to snake the wiring.
2. Replaced the ceiling fan in the rear bedroom.
3. Replaced the second toilet with a Marine Elegance toilet. Fancy name, but a really good, relatively inexpensive marine toilet.
4. Replaced the tub glass doors with one of those curved shower rods and a fancy shower curtain.
5. Replaced the marine radio.
6. Replaced the backup camera - again a PITA to snake the wiring.

And, had it pulled to replace a $6 transom assembly o-ring to stop a minor but very annoying leak on the starboard engine. Several boat bucks for that one. But, we had the bellows and all that other stuff replaced. So, I am good to go for many years.

Ready for some actual spring weather now.

Miller Tyme
03-31-2013, 02:31 PM
De-winterized the toliets and stocked the bar, connect up the water lines to the dock next weekend and de-winterize the engines.

Let the season begin! :cool:

SinOrSwim
04-03-2013, 06:12 PM
We just got word our marina will start launching on the 17th. Been a dicey spring so far. Our lake was almost 8 feet below normal and unless it came up about 5 or 6 feet, we weren't going in. But, we got a good rain witht he ground frozen and it is at normal pool levels. Will probably start Friday getting stuff cleaned up and ready. Will probably take portable generator and shampoo carpets etc. Then, the week of launch will load up non-perishable food etc. Day of launch will probably load up the frig and stock the boat with a BUNCH of beer, soda, etc. I try to load up a bunch of stuff like that and store it below to decrease the amount of stuff I have to carry when we go out there. With food, 3 little kids etc it's nice to not have to carry a case of beer and pop.

Can't wait! FINALLY almost here.

42gibson
04-24-2013, 08:16 AM
we finally got the boat gutted of all the capet and other flooring.my god the staples! everything is painted and we talked to the flooring installer last night. we're going tomorrow to pick out hardwood for the main deck,linoleum for the upper bath and closets ,carpet for the cuddys. hopefully be in the water by mid may.

easttnboater
04-25-2013, 04:59 AM
Yeah - the staples. Been there, done that. I figured that the installers were paid by the staple on the two boats where I pulled them all out.

Zilpo55
04-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Replaced our front deck fan with a really cool one called a Haiku. It was a gift from our daughter who works for the company. It's very different looking from normal ceiling fans. The parent company has a VERY unusual name - let me just leave it at that.
http://www.haikufan.com/info-kit-offer-b/?utm_source=search&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=haiku-ppc-B

Stmbtwle
04-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Chuckle!!! I've seen a couple of those big fans, at an airport I think. Always wondered who made 'em!

Zilpo55
04-29-2013, 06:05 AM
Yes, there is one at our airport plus my employer has a few in the warehouse. I'd love to put about an 8 footer on our upper deck just to get the attention around our dock but only if I could get my kid to pay for it.

Frantically Relaxing
05-06-2013, 07:32 AM
For some time now I've been going to make some new logo emblems for our SkipperLiner, I finally got around to doing it.

Here's one of the old emblems:

http://www.engraver1.com/boatfixes/oldskipemb.jpg

We repainted the boat quite awhile ago (still have to do the front patio and flybridge!). In my spare time (what's that?) I've been trying to design some easy to make vinyl graphics, swooshes & stuff that will actually fit, since the port side of the boat is mostly windows. Anyway, I wanted my new emblems to be of the newer logo, which I digitized awhile back. I've had some pieces of 1/8" plexiglas mirror kicking around, some 'regular' silver mirror, and some bronze. The regular was so old I couldn't remove the masking so bronze it is!

I didn't want to just stick lettering to the boat, so I made backing plates out of some 1/16" thick black matte acrylic to highlight the lettering and make the whole thing a one-piece unit.

First up is laser cutting the letters and backings--

http://www.engraver1.com/boatfixes/newemb1.jpg

Now I have to apply some double-sided tape to the letters and stick them to the backing---

http://www.engraver1.com/boatfixes/newemb2.jpg

--and this is what I ended up with! One down, one to go...

http://www.engraver1.com/boatfixes/newemb3.jpg

Frantically Relaxing
05-06-2013, 07:33 AM
http://www.engraver1.com/boatfixes/newemb5.jpg

=======================

Being all acrylic they'll last outdoors for years. The new emblems are the same length as the old ones, but the new lettering is smaller because the logo is part of the total emblem, and that makes the emblems appear smaller than the old ones. But we're happy with it, they look real nice! It's a SklpperLiner again and not just 'the houseboat'...

was getting dark when I took the pics so they're a little fuzzy---

http://www.engraver1.com/boatfixes/newemblem1.jpg

http://www.engraver1.com/boatfixes/newemblem3.jpg

====================

Maybe this'll kick-start me into getting the flybridge painted and some new graphics made up!

Tony B
05-11-2013, 08:41 PM
This took a while but it is finally done.
I ripped out the old carpeting and made new floor boards. The floor boards (8 total) make up about 95% of the floor. They are Teak and Holly Plywood.
I built a new settee from plywood and veneered it with walnut. Then sprayed with furniture grade lacquer.
The cushions and back were professionally made by a local upholsterer. We used very expensive stuff called "Ultra leather". Feels so nice and soft.
Since we are live-aboards, we want to be comfortable.
Total cost for salon was around $1500. Other than the upholstery, I did all the work.

42gibson
05-12-2013, 01:35 AM
looks really nice tony,good job.

GoVols
05-13-2013, 05:56 AM
Tony, I love that new floor! What a drastic improvement. Well done!

42gibson
05-14-2013, 05:12 AM
well we finally got the new hardwood floors in the main cabin area and all the carpet replaced in the cuddy. i put in new counter tops and all new faucets. we painted all the old dark paneling white( what a difference)we're going to the boat thursday and put all the new bilnds up.we had to move 300 ft of docks a half mile up the river over the weekend and when everything is hooked back up we should be ready to put back in.

Gibson42lc
05-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Learned how the purisan works and thankfully it works just like its supposed to. I was preparing to buy new unit until I was schooled. Thankful for an honest parts dealer. Getting name put on fly bridge as we speak and cleaned engine compartment. I'm in restaurant business so my weekend is the beginning of everyone else's week. :-).

Tony B
05-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Shelf Guards for lack of the correct name. basically a retaining rail so stuff don't fall off the shelf.
Not much of a project but definitely necessary.
Sometimes I think Mainships were built with absolutely no thought given that they might actually be used on the water.
Most shelves and ledges have a 1" high lip. Now anything on your shelf over 1" high will take a nose dive with the
slightest bit of rocking, whether from a waves or wakes.

I just cut some strips of red oak 1/2" thick X 1 1/2" tall X whatever length I needed for the V-Berth and did the same with Teak in the forward head.
I try to keep the wood the same as what is already there. I went to Home depot and bought some strips of 1" wide X 1/8" thick aluminum strips.
I bent them into an "L" shaped bracket and cut to desired height (height). Then drilled the mounting holes - 2 into the shelf and 1 into the retaining strip or shelf guard. I used cap nuts on the screws coming through the wood strip so that no one will cut their fingers on a sharp edge. These are not the sturdiest retaining guards known to mankind but more than sufficient to do the intended job of preventing things from falling off the shelf.
I made my own "L" Brackets because the 'store bought' ones had the holes in the wrong places and didn't look as good either - at least , to me.

JTAlberts
05-22-2013, 05:34 AM
well we finally got the new hardwood floors in the main cabin area and all the carpet replaced in the cuddy. i put in new counter tops and all new faucets. we painted all the old dark paneling white( what a difference)we're going to the boat thursday and put all the new bilnds up.we had to move 300 ft of docks a half mile up the river over the weekend and when everything is hooked back up we should be ready to put back in.

Where is the emoticon that says, "THIS POST IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!!!"

Frantically Relaxing
05-22-2013, 02:40 PM
http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/worthless.gif

Here it is, whoever's responsible for grabbing it and adding it to the list, go for it!
:)

42gibson
05-23-2013, 05:30 AM
Where is the emoticon that says, "THIS POST IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!!!"

i'll try to get some pics when i get the furniture in this wekend.

Stmbtwle
05-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Cleaned and painted the roof. Nothing spectacular, but all the nasty pollen and pollution is gone and the new roof paint is 10-20 deg cooler.

easttnboater
05-24-2013, 05:34 AM
What kind of paint did you use?

Stmbtwle
05-24-2013, 08:02 AM
Exterior latex semi-gloss from Big Box. White of course.

The roof is covered with Cool-seal, which adheres well but seems to attract dirt. I'm hoping the semi-gloss on top of the coating will make it a little easier to clean. Definitely looks better!

The entire superstructure is made of wood and latex works quite well. It's affordable, durable, easy to apply, and easy to clean up. What's not to like? The only place I use "marine" paint is on the fiberglass hull.

easttnboater
05-24-2013, 08:09 AM
My previous boat had Cool Seal on the roof - it definitely gets dirty quickly. I did not know you could paint over it.

Stmbtwle
05-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Cool Seal is latex. We cleaned it really well (Simple Green and bleach) and put latex on top of it. Exterior latex sticks to just about anything, so I don't anticipate any problems.

It made a BIG difference inside the boat, but now the "sun deck" is just that, TIMES TWO!

42gibson
05-26-2013, 04:42 AM
we had a 15x52 playcraft with vinyl covered decks.over the years the color faded away but the vinyl was in great shape.i didnt want to take the time to put new vinyl down so i cleaned it with malco red thunder and a power washer,then i wiped it down with acetone. i then painted it with a very good latex paint(sherwin williams). as long as i only used a car wash brush and a hose to rinse it everything was fine and it looked great. i mistakenly took a 3500 pd. power washer to it one spring and some came up(but not alot). it was a easy patch. it lasted us for years and the current owner says its still good.

Zilpo55
06-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Replaced our front deck fan with a really cool one called a Haiku. It was a gift from our daughter who works for the company. It's very different looking from normal ceiling fans. The parent company has a VERY unusual name - let me just leave it at that.
http://www.haikufan.com/info-kit-offer-b/?utm_source=search&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=haiku-ppc-B

Here's a photo of the fan. Very unique design. One thing I really like is that it's almost silent even on the inverter. The other fans hum much louder when running off the inverter.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44260406/fan.jpg

Tony B
06-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Just in the beginning stages.
The bow cleats will have to be relocated so rather than make an actual 'relocate', I bought 2 new ones. Today, I drilled the holes and made some backing plates and test fitted them which required me to get into a hole that I didn't fit into. That was fun:rolleyes:
Tomorrow, I will bed them in place and remove the old cleats. Then I will have to remove some of the teak strips on the bowsprit and prep the surface before anything else. Once that is done, I will buy the windlass and install it which means getting back into the hole I don't fit into.

42gibson
06-11-2013, 05:08 AM
Here's a photo of the fan. Very unique design. One thing I really like is that it's almost silent even on the inverter. The other fans hum much louder when running off the inverter.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44260406/fan.jpg

I've never seen one like it before but I like it!

Tony B
06-13-2013, 06:22 AM
Cleaned up some wiring from the previous owner. Not only did I rearrange the 'birds nest' wiring and run the wiring in the wiring harness I actually removed 5 wires and didn't add any. Everything still works except now it works like it is supposed to.

easttnboater
06-13-2013, 08:12 AM
Buffed one side of the houseboat over the last few days. I can only do so much a day. Took a break yesterday and replaced the water heater. After 21 years it developed a leak.

JTAlberts
06-17-2013, 07:04 AM
Attempted to just start up the boat. Port went right away, starboard never did. Replaced the battery and it would turn over. We had a heavy rain and the water will run right onto the carb if the channels overflow. So I believe I have some water in my gas. I decided to go ahead and change out the bad thermostat. After removing the housing, we noticed that the thermostats are installed upside down by one of the previous owners and they are stuck in the housing. I have ordered two new housings just in case we can't get these out.

zeller
06-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Ordered a new submersible bilge pump, a replacement cap for the deck water fill and 10ft of vent hose. You know what they say...B.O.A.T. bust out another thousand! (not quite but close enough)

Frantically Relaxing
06-17-2013, 08:31 PM
discovered I have about 65 gallons of phase separated gas in my toy tank. :(

The only silver lining, is it's easy to pump out. At least there's a recycle place about a mile from the boat harbor, so I don't have far to dispose of it.

JTAlberts
06-18-2013, 05:46 AM
Replaced my thermostat and spark plugs in the starboard engine. We had to tune the carb to get it running smooth again.

Tony B
06-18-2013, 05:52 PM
I peeled the old letters off a while back and finally buffed the stern Sunday afternoon.
Monday morning the sign person came to place the lettering on the boat.

Soooooooooooooo, you don't believe in mermaids?

JTAlberts
06-19-2013, 06:41 AM
I peeled the old letters off a while back and finally buffed the stern Sunday afternoon.
Monday morning the sign person came to place the lettering on the boat.

Soooooooooooooo, you don't believe in mermaids?

Serenity now. Insanity later.

Zilpo55
06-24-2013, 05:30 AM
Replaced a fan in lower cuddy. A 10 minute job turned into a 2 hour job because I let a wire slip back in the hole. It took a couple of beers for me to stop calling myself a dumb@$$. Fortunately, my wife didn't say she agreed with me (in my presence).

easttnboater
06-25-2013, 07:28 AM
Finally replaced the coil and the distributor sensor on the starboard engine. So, after new starter, plugs, carb, coil, and sensor it starts and runs like a dream.

desimulacra
07-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Worked on replacing the old gray tubing with Pex. Decided I wanted to move water tanks, found that factory had not painted under the original location of tanks, found a soft spot where water pump leaked, found extra piping that needs to be removed, found some bad wiring I don't like.

Got soft spot repaired and bare spot painted.

There is always next weekend.

42gibson
07-09-2013, 04:52 AM
the inside is all but finished. i just have to put some trim around a hatch door.now if it would stop raining!

JTAlberts
07-09-2013, 05:57 AM
the inside is all but finished. i just have to put some trim around a hatch door.now if it would stop raining!

This summer's weather has just been a nightmare for boating. I haven't had the time to go boating, but I at least feel like I haven't been neglecting it with the crappy weather. The pics look great.

42gibson
07-09-2013, 06:04 AM
This summer's weather has just been a nightmare for boating. I haven't had the time to go boating, but I at least feel like I haven't been neglecting it with the crappy weather. The pics look great.

we've been going down every weekend but we dont take the boat out. the river is up 5 feet right now with a swift current and whole trees coming down the muskingum. not even going to chance it just for a ride. it'll go down sooner or later.

JTAlberts
07-09-2013, 06:54 AM
we've been going down every weekend but we dont take the boat out. the river is up 5 feet right now with a swift current and whole trees coming down the muskingum. not even going to chance it just for a ride. it'll go down sooner or later.

After your experience last year I don't blame you. The river was empty of boats this past weekend.

Tony B
07-10-2013, 02:30 PM
I pulled back the sheets and went to sleep.
Just got back from Little Rock, Ar. visiting the kids and grandson.

Gibson42lc
07-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Took out family for a day on the water. Most importantly, docked the boat without hitting anything. :-). Discovered that the engine is flooding out. Already have replaced fuel pump due to a leak last year. Marina adjusted carb and thought it was fixed. However, there is gas film in water after running the engine and gas in oil. Will be removing carb and getting it rebuilt next. :-/

Frantically Relaxing
07-19-2013, 08:23 PM
The past 4 weekends I've been fighting a fuel issue with the generator. None of 3 electric fuel pumps I have will indefinitely pull fuel from the tank. When the problem started the generator was pulling fuel from the toy tank, with a big water separator filter between. I pulled the filter, which had about a tablespoon of water in it, not bad for (I won't say how old it is) - and it was fairly dirty. Not having a new filter handy I tapped into the fuel line running to the engines from the port tank. Pump still wouldn't pull fuel so I changed the pump. Generator started and ran fine for about 20 minutes so I thought my problem was over. The next weekend, my roof AC unit started tripping the breaker again (which it started doing this summer). To test whether the problem is my shore power I fired up the generator and ran the AC off that. In 10 minutes, the AC tripped the breaker again anyway. So the problem is my 25 year old Coleman is finally biting the dust. I reset the breaker, waited about a minute and turned the AC on again. About 10 seconds later the whole boat went dark. The generator quit again! I open the hatch and press the "on" switch, and the fuel pump is clacking loudly, meaning there's no fuel to it...

By the way, the fuel pump is right on the engine room floor, and the fuel tank is 24" tall and full. There should be NO problem with it sucking fuel downhill all the way, but...? Thinking it may be sucking air someplace I took the valve off my un-used starboard tank and put it on the port tank, now I have a dedicated fuel line straight from the full tank, downhill to the fuel pump. The pump drew fuel and got quiet when pressure built against the carb. The genny fired and ran--- for about 5 minutes.

So I put in my second spare electric pump. These are new pumps too. And it did the exact same thing, drew fuel, ran the genny okay for a few minutes, then just a clacking pump with no fuel...

These are online pic replica's of the pumps I'm using, all (of mine) are marine rated. Bottom pump I have is a Westerbeke pump that came with the boat...

http://www.engraver1.com/boatfixes/fuelpump1.gif
http://www.engraver1.com/boatfixes/fuelpump2.jpg
http://www.engraver1.com/boatfixes/fuelpump3.jpg

??? I don't get it. I WOULD get it if I was trying to suck gas uphill with these pumps, but they should nearly gravity feed once they're primed! NONE of them do? FWIW both the Merc 4-bangers get gas just fine, no matter where I hook up the fuel lines--

So this weekend I need to figure out this problem, PLUS change out the AC unit. On a positive note, there's a new DuoTherm roof AC unit that's been at the boat harbor for 8 years, I'm welcome to it, I just need to spend $80 for the ceiling control unit...

But I can't run the thing in the middle of the lake until I can figure out why these pumps won't pump!
http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/nilly.gif

Tony B
07-20-2013, 03:53 AM
Replaced my middle bilge pump and float switch with a Rule 1500 Automatic Bile Pump - float switch built in.
What a nightmare it was. I cannot start a simple electrical jib on this boat without spending a full day on rewiring. Apparently the previous owner had a lot of short wire scraps and
a lot of butt connectors. Wires and butt joints everywhere. In order to correct this, you have to remove a bunch of wires and clean out a rats nest of wiring to be able to get
access to a terminal. After going through a lot of the wiring on the boat my best guess is that the previous owner didn't really know what he was doing but eventually got it to
work. Anyway, the wiring nightmare is slowly coming to an end as I 'dress' the new wiring I can now see what I have.

42gibson
07-21-2013, 05:27 AM
roof leak , I spent the entire weekend looking for a roof leak. I have replaced all the flybridge screws,the rail screws with larger ones,caulked them all good with life caulk and everytime it rains my roof pan fills with wate rand runs out my rear navigation light. I am at a complete loss of where to look next. its a 1991 Gibson executive. anyone have any ideas? I also re-caulked the horn and spot light.

GoVols
07-22-2013, 07:19 AM
The past 4 weekends I've been fighting a fuel issue with the generator. None of 3 electric fuel pumps I have will indefinitely pull fuel from the tank.

Are the tanks properly vented? It's possible that the vents are obstructed somehow and you're creating a vaccum inside the tank while the generator is drawing down the fuel level. Once the vaccum starts, it's not allowing the fuel to travel down to the pump. That's my $0.02 FWIW.

easttnboater
07-22-2013, 12:20 PM
You also probably have anti-reversion valves in the connector at the top of the tank. I removed all of mine.

Frantically Relaxing
07-22-2013, 01:23 PM
I may have isolated the problem, more on that later... :)

I do have anti-backflow valves on the tank(s), but since I'm using one tank with 3 engines at the moment, I figure it's best to be sure all the lines & pumps are full and primed...

No problem with the venting-- I'm drawing 3 fuel lines off the same tank, and I've done it in every configuration I can think of:

all three lines from one line using 2 T's--
all three from 2 lines (my tanks have 2 exits) with the genny teed to one of the engines & opposite engine dedicated, tried that with both engines--
all three from 2 lines with the genny dedicated and the engines teed together--
---this was before the new fuel filter (which looks like this)
http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/filterhousing.jpg
this weekend I did everything the same as above, except I ran ONE incoming line to the filter housing and 2-outgoing lines to the 3 engines--

-- results are the same, no matter how I connect the lines: the Merc's get gas and run fine. The Genny will sometimes get gas and run for a few minutes (nearly 10 minutes yesterday) then it runs out of gas and dies. And this is with 2 of the 3 pumps, I haven't been using my 'original' pump, the one that looks like an inline filter, because I've assumed it was bad. I'm thinking it's probably NOT bad--

I've heard SOOOoo many generator stories that sound just like this one: runs for a few minutes then dies--

NOW, having said all that-- yesterday after changing pumps again, this time I put in a clear inline filter so I could SEE what was going on. I did the change after the genny ran 10 minutes and died. Once the fuel line & filter were on, the filter became half full just on gravity. When I pressed the ON button on the genny to activate the pump, the pump was pulling some of the gas from the filter towards the carb, but that was all-- as soon as I let off the switch the gas returned to the filter. Did that every time. Pulled about 1/3 of the fuel that was in the filter (maybe a teaspoon).

And one more thing, I bought a primer bulb to help troubleshoot-- it sucks and pumps gas from all the lines just fine. So no obstructions from tank-to-pump that I can find.

SO! This tells me that the pump is TRYING to suck gas, but it can't push it into the carb, ergo, my problem is AFTER the pump! The original pump-to-carb hard-line and my extra rubber test line are fine--

So, either there's a small filter in the carb after the fuel line connector (have no idea, anyone??) and it may be plugged or real close to it,

OR, gas can't enter the bowl because the needle valve won't open or is semi-plugged up, for whatever reason. I have a lawnmower that the carb won't take gas, and I keep finding the float stuck UP even when the bowl is empty--? I free it and it works fine for half a tank of gas then does it again. Not sure why it's doing that, but it's about 20 years old--

Anyway, that will be my next step, dig into the carb and see what I find...

OLD HOUSEBOATER
07-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Try puting your fuel pump before the filter. They will pass a lot of crap so don't worry about plugging them unless you have heavy contamination in your tank.
Some of these pumps heat up if they aren't full of fuel and quit pumping

Stmbtwle
07-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Replacing the exhaust hoses. Anyone know of something I can use so I don't have to cut the hoses off next time?

JTAlberts
07-22-2013, 06:52 PM
I used this silver anti seize I bought at lowes.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
07-22-2013, 07:12 PM
I used dish soap, but i never owned a boat long enough for the hoses to "grab" and be hard to remove. The old mechanic at the marina used Silicone spray that we used to lubricate window seals and door rubbers with, back in the day.

Stmbtwle
07-23-2013, 05:26 AM
Anti-seize of some kind is what I need I think, I'll check Lowes. I have some never-seize but it has copper in it which might react with the aluminum components. Was thinking of maybe lithium grease. Dish soap helps with assembly but I don't think it sticks around long.

I wouldn't be doing it but my water pump failed and the wet exhaust overheated, one piece of hose actually collapsed (oddly the section at the transom, 6' from the engine), so I felt it necessary to disassemble it all and check for further damage. Components are stuck together to the point they had to be cut apart, which of course means I have to replace them damaged or not.

Zilpo55
07-23-2013, 05:49 AM
Corrected lousy workmanship on head and Purisan system by previous owner or hired goof ball. Discovered one tube connected to the wrong fitting and another not connected at all. This explained the faint sewer odor we were trying to track down. Now, I have to replace broken fittings that fell apart when we touched them because they were previously broken and glued. I wasn't too upset by this until I got home and ordered the replacement part for $85. A lousy plastic part. I would have bet $20 tops.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
07-23-2013, 07:12 AM
I sold a RiverQueen Star Stream a few years ago. The Pump failed and burnt an exhaust hose. River Queen exhausts were right at the waterline. ,It sunk in 15 feet of water.

If your hose got baked that bad, it's possible that nothing you put on it would make it easy to get off.

Did you notice how cheap exhaust hose is today? Bummer.

Stmbtwle
07-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Yeah I know... I paid $28 a foot for 4" wire reinforced hose, nearly $200 worth.

Not too concerned about it sinking even though the exhaust IS at the waterline. I have 3 bilge pumps in the engine room alone (total about 3000 gph) AND a nice loud alarm that I can hear from my bedroom. I'm pretty sure I can get to it before the battery bank dies.

Frantically Relaxing
07-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Figured out my fuel problem--

I pulled off the air cleaner... sorry, the flame arrestor... ;) -- Then I got into a staring match with the carb. It was easier than tearing it apart, and really, I didn't WANT to tear it apart. The carb won the staring match, but when I blinked, I spied it-- there it was, a plug, right next to the fuel line. It came out easy, almost too easy. And under the plug, a tiny little handle, which turned out to be attached to a small sediment filter. As I slowly pulled out the sediment filter, I also pulled out the sediment the sediment filter filtered. Not a whole lot, but way more than none. I got my trusty gas catch can, and held it under the opening while running the pump. A little more crud, followed by fresh, clean gas. I re-installed the sediment filter and the plug, fired 'er up, and smilled bigly the whole 45 minutes the genny ran, smooth as glass, without faltering.

Then I put the engine hatch down, then proceeded to trip over the basket of screens I hadn't moved yet, and about yanked my left arm out of the socket while trying not to bash my head on the steel railings and/or engine room doors.

For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction... fix the generator, screw up my arm... sigh...

Stmbtwle
07-30-2013, 01:26 AM
Finally (after a week of fighting) got the corroded exhaust elbow off my engine. Now to see if it can be repaired or if I have to buy another one.

And some people want THREE engines! I can't keep ONE running!

GoVols
07-30-2013, 06:46 AM
****MODERATORS********
You know, this 1 thread is stealing a lot of potential great posts that would otherwise be in the "Houseboating" forum. Can we just lock this thread shut and have everyone post these stories / problems like they should be back in the forum with new threads?

There's no way to search through this long thread to identify common issues and it's difficult to follow through on 1 person's questions as they're working through a problem.