PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody actually travel in there houseboat?

capnmorgan
08-24-2012, 08:14 AM
I don't see much talk about traveling on here does anyone do it. When my kids get out of school and move on I want to travel the ICW mostly between Tennessee and Alabama.

clarencio5
08-24-2012, 11:47 AM
I went from Pgh. Pa. to Tampa Fl. in my houseboat. Yes , some people do travel.

JTAlberts
08-24-2012, 11:57 AM
I would like to. The time is the hard part right now. I'd love to take the boat down river to Cincy and visit my brother. I also want to take it up stream to Pittsburgh at some point.

42gibson
08-24-2012, 03:45 PM
were going to do pittsburgh next summer. we just ran out of time this year for anything but working on the boat.

GJSmith
08-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Well Capn Morgan we may just see each other then. I am planning to get a Blue Water or Harbor Master coastals version. Summer on Georgian Bay or Lake Huron then cruise back down to winter at Midway or Demopolis. With one or two runs at the Loop

DitchRider
08-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Melbourne to Palm Beach Gardens.... that count?

JTAlberts
08-25-2012, 07:54 PM
were going to do pittsburgh next summer. we just ran out of time this year for anything but working on the boat.

Any specific plans for the Pittsburgh trip? Maybe we can make the run together. Safety in numbers.

Jolly Time
08-27-2012, 08:29 AM
GJSmith. What's your home marina? Mine IS Midway on the Tombigbee Waterway! Great place! Look me up! Jolly Time

42gibson
08-27-2012, 01:43 PM
not really anything specific jamie. were pretty much open to times and the trip. i have a daughter who lives in pittsburgh. we just want to make the the trip. if you would like to tag along,by all means lets do it.

Miller Tyme
08-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Made the trip from Lake Barkley to Aurora Indiana back in 2005, 6 days, 500+ miles, $2600.00 in fuel, and the time of my life. Stay to trips of 100 miles 5/7 day range last couple of years since the wife went back to school.

Fork-lift-king
08-28-2012, 10:24 AM
10 years ago, made a trip from Chattanooga Tn. to Paducah Ky. I was planing the same trip this year but, something came up.

GJSmith
08-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Jolly Time unfortunately I am between boats at the moment but Midway is a strong consideration for my winter months. Do you spend winters there?

Jolly Time
08-30-2012, 08:00 PM
I do not live on my boat, but the majority of the people at my marina do live aboard!! I live 25 miles away in Tupelo with my wife and 5 kids!! Boat has been here 13 years, brought up from Florida!!

BananaTom
08-31-2012, 08:11 AM
Bought mine in Tennessee and motored to Pensacola, down the Tenn Tom.

Then we would take 75 miles trips about once a month, east and west on the ICW, and north up rivers.

Spend 3 - 4 days, stopping at various towns.

It is allot of fun.

We weren't the anchor for the weekend crowd too often.

Rode it to New Orleans.

Been up and down the Saint John's River from Jacksonville to Deland.

8 days in the 10,000 Islands of the Everglades.

GJSmith
09-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Miller Tyme may I ask what type of boat was the 05 trip in and what type of speed do figure you were averaging. Seems you were doing about 83-84 miles a day.

capnmorgan
09-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Bought mine in Tennessee and motored to Pensacola, down the Tenn Tom.

Then we would take 75 miles trips about once a month, east and west on the ICW, and north up rivers.

Spend 3 - 4 days, stopping at various towns.

It is allot of fun.

We weren't the anchor for the weekend crowd too often.

Rode it to New Orleans.

Been up and down the Saint John's River from Jacksonville to Deland.

8 days in the 10,000 Islands of the Everglades.

That's exactly where I plan to travel. Any challenges or scary situations?

GJSmith
09-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Jolly Time did you get to the Pirate Fest looks like fun on their Facebook page!!

BananaTom
09-04-2012, 04:37 PM
That's exactly where I plan to travel. Any challenges or scary situations?

Where do you plan to travel? down the Tenn Tom?

If so, plan, get a guide book and charts, learn fuel stops. Bring extra props, lots of logs floating just under the surface, especially behind a tow. And take your time, we did it in 5 days and wished it would have been 12, and stop more often to play.

joetil
09-04-2012, 05:37 PM
I've been traveling on one of those funny looking houseboats with the two really tall flagpoles for the past several months in the Mediterranean. I was really surprised when I logged on tonight to see the forum changes. Friends of mine sailed their 41' Morgan OutIslander from south Fla to Ireland back in 2002. They've since sailed it into the arctic circle, Norway, England, all the way down to Africa, then up to Turkey. They've been to 37 countries on the boat in the past 10 years.
This year we picked the boat up in Messalonghi, Greece on the Pellapenisian Penninsula, visited the the western Greek isles, then up to Albania, Montenegro, and Croatia. Then across to Brendisi, Italy where we caught a bullet train (162 mph) to Venice for 4 days. Back to Brendisi, and to Otronto, Italy on the heel. Then onto the straits of Messina with it's whirlpools, then to Tropea, then to Amalfi and the beautiful Amalfi coast. We spent a day in Pompeii, and finally ended up at Port Napolean in Marseilles, France.
What a trip of a lifetime. These people are real adventurers. They make no day to day plans that can't be changed on a whim. The masts have been removed in Marseilles and shipped to Amsterdam. Next summer they'll sail the canals of France and Germany, ending up in Amsterdam where I'll meet the boat and help sail it to Norway. Plans are to sail from Norway up into the Arctic circle the following year. This summer it took us awhile to get up to speed on using the European internet but next year I'll try to keep this forum posted with pictures and descriptions of our adventures. Meanwhile my old 50' Burns is sitting forlornly at the dock as I'm trying to catch up on everything I'm behind on
I've missed keeping up with everyone's (mis)adventures on this forum.

capnmorgan
09-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Where do you plan to travel? down the Tenn Tom?

If so, plan, get a guide book and charts, learn fuel stops. Bring extra props, lots of logs floating just under the surface, especially behind a tow. And take your time, we did it in 5 days and wished it would have been 12, and stop more often to play.

Tenn tom for sure would like to go to savannah ga but that looks risky on the atlantic side.

Miller Tyme
09-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Miller Tyme may I ask what type of boat was the 05 trip in and what type of speed do figure you were averaging. Seems you were doing about 83-84 miles a day.

It was a 52' Monticello with twin EFI 454's, we planed our stops based on where to get fuel and overnight dockage. The longest leg was Golconda Ill.- Evansville In, approx 125 miles, I believe one of the runs was only 65 miles. The pre-planning was a great advantage because we brought it up 5 days after Katrina hit and fuel on the river was very hard to find, but we had plotted every fueling point on the river and anytime we needed at least 50 gallons we would stop and check to see if they had any, (which better than 1/2 didn't). except for the Golconda/Evansville run I ran @ 1800/2000 rpm which ploted on my GPS at between 8.3 to 9.7 MPH and burned about 1gal/mile. between Gol/Evans we ran 2500rpm ( Ohio was running fast due to Green River flooding) and burned about 2gal/mile. Except for that leg the river was at pool and little to no current.
All and All a great trip.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/6527/dsci0075a.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/406/dsci0075a.jpg/)

Tony B
09-09-2012, 05:16 PM
WE are full-time liveaboards. We just jumped from sail to power.
This coming Feb/March we will be leaving Galveston Bay, Tx and heading along the 3rd coast to Mobile Bay, Al. Then turn north and work our way up to the northern part of Ky. Lake.
Will settle there for the rest of 2013. Havent figured out what we will do for 2014 yet.

BananaTom
09-11-2012, 10:36 AM
WE are full-time liveaboards. We just jumped from sail to power.
This coming Feb/March we will be leaving Galveston Bay, Tx and heading along the 3rd coast to Mobile Bay, Al. Then turn north and work our way up to the northern part of Ky. Lake.
Will settle there for the rest of 2013. Havent figured out what we will do for 2014 yet.

You should consider a little side trip, enter the ICW on the east side of Mobile Bay and take a ride to Pensacola. It is a beautiful trip. Lots to see and do for a couple of days. The U-turn and head North. The Tenn Tom is nice, but there will be long days with little towns to encounter in the beginning.

Tony B
09-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Tom

More than likely we will do that just to see how much changed in the last 7 years or so. The last time I was there was on a solo trip in Jan 05. I did the trip on my Catalina 30 sailboat. Had to get out of the Gulf and onto the ICW. Man was it ever windy and cold that winter.
Wife and I have always enjoyed anchoring in Wolf Bayou and reminisce about old times in Pirates Cove when the old owner was still alive in the 1990's.
If we make the side trip that way, we will look you up.

DitchRider
03-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Did West Palm to Key Largo in two days... very nice trip.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/857748_153741731452948_1600679254_o.jpg

Stmbtwle
03-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Most of the time we just poke around Tampa Bay, but once a year or thereabouts we head up the west coast to Tarpon Springs or beyond. So far haven't made it past Homosassa because of time constraints and speed (or lack of). This year we may head south just for a change.

boatlover
03-09-2013, 06:28 AM
In the 3 years I have had this boat I have gone a little over 3000 river miles. Waiting for spring to add more.

clarencio5
03-09-2013, 11:28 AM
From Beaver Pa, you had to go either up or down the Ohio river. Where were your destinations??

boatlover
03-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Eddyville KY( Lake Barkley) to Beaver Pa .( 965 miles),
Roundtrip Beaver to Marietta OH .( 300 miles)
Roundtrip Beaver to Pgh 6 times .(150 miles),
Roundtrip Beaver to Kitanning PA ( mile 50 Allegheny river) 5 times .(750 miles)
Roundtrip Beaver to Louisville KY .(1200 miles). = 3065