PDA

View Full Version : Pulling my boat out of the water

easttnboater
10-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Pulling my boat out of the water in the next couple of days.

I have always had a small leak somewhere in the starboard transom assembly. I blew an impeller a couple of weeks ago. When I took off all of the rubber exhaust couplers, I found out where it was. When the pressure created by the connection was taken away, I found out that the exhaust Y tube is loose where it bolts to the transom assembly. What was a cup or so of water a week became about a half a gallon a minute. I put it all back together and was able to tighten the bottom two bolts. The leak is back to a cup a week. But, now that I know where it is, I am getting it taken care of. The problem is that the motor has to be pulled in order to remove the Y tube and replace the O ring.

This will be several boating units worth of cash for a two dollar O ring.

ShoreBound
10-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Ouch! Those Boating Units don't get you as much as they used to. It seems like anytime you pull your boat out of the water, it costs a couple of B.U. Last time I pulled my boat, I had the outdrive serviced, put in a new gimbal bearing, new shift parts and then decided to have the engine rebuilt. Total cost for that weekend was about 6.5 B.U. Not as bad as I had expected. That's like saying the pain wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I don't regret spending money on the boat. That's just part of ownership.

easttnboater
10-22-2012, 11:18 AM
I am going ahead and servicing both outdrives - bellows, gear oil, ... That is $650 in parts. It was done two yrs ago when I bought the boat, but you don't have them out of the water often, so I might as well. And, this will all be done by the local guys that have been in business here for 30 yrs.

Its all good.

ShoreBound
10-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Are you replacing your lower shift cables also? Cheap time to do it.

easttnboater
10-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Shift cables were replaced two yrs ago. They have them in stock and will replace if they think they should be. There is also a bracket/slider piece that they are going to replace.

easttnboater
10-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Well, out and back in in five hours. So far no leak. Staying the night on the boat. We will see in the morning.

easttnboater
10-29-2012, 06:34 AM
No leak for about a week now. So, the three boat units seem to have done the trick.