Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LPG Bottles

LPG Bottles

I am planning on carrying two 40 lb propane bottles on my back deck. Actually itís the top of the aft cabin. My boat is a Mainship 36 DC and is not unlike most 36 aft cabin models. I would like to bracket them against the short bulkhead section which is the salon bulkhead that extends up to the fly bridge.
    Does anyone here carry propane bottles and how do you do it and what kind of brackets or tie-downs do you use?
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

I had two 40 lb tanks on the top of my previous houseboat - they were in an open bracket. I think that on a boat like yours, I would opt for one of the enclosures to make it look better.

The bottles will be 'ouside' on the aft sun deck. The area will have a canvas enclosure which is not gas tight with openings along the deck so trapping gas fumes is not going to be a problem. The portable gas heater uses up a lot of gas and I mean a lot!.
    I plan on buying or making a manifold for each appliance because regardless of the laws, I would not want "T's", "Y's" or any kind of junctions inside the boat. All gaslines will go from outside the boat cabin, directly to the appliance inside the boat.
    I have had gas stoves before and am familiar with all of the safety devices including the remote on-off switch in addition to the sniffers and automatic shut-offs.
    The reason I want two bottles is because I don't want to run out of gas in the middle of nowhere. This way, when one tank is empty, I have at least another month or so to find a place to fill up.
    Last edited by Tony B; 10-31-2012 at 05:12 PM.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

You sound like you have it all covered but this page might be worth looking over. I know I have learned a lot on it http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/Propa...stallation.htm

Just some basic wall-mount tank straps like these should work to secure the tanks--

And there's several styles of tank covers designed for a pair of 40# tanks...

1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    1995 Tracker Party Cruiser 32 *for sale*
    2003 Chaparral 260 SSI
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

when we had our playcraft houseboat we had lpg. the best mounts i found was from a rv dealer. you can also get a double regulator from them so when 1 tank goes empty it will switch to the second tank on its own.

Look here at http://www.marinesurveyorschool.org/...%20Systems.pdf ABYC A-1 Marine LPG Systems Follow their recommended standards. The main thing here is to prevent leaks and eliminate areas where leaked LPG can accumulate. It is heavier than air and will flow down into any nooks and crannies if it can.

Many years ago the US Coast Guard experienced a few mysterious explosions (small ones, thank GOD) on some of their ships. It was LPG leaked from those little bottle used on torches. They were being stored all over the ships. Now they are all stored out side where any leaks can go into the atmosphere.
    Last edited by Ike; 11-02-2012 at 09:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread