Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Living Aboard

I understand the concern, as floods can be devastating to people who live in low-lying areas and on river banks. But as Cap'n Morgan points out, tongue only slightly in cheek, boat handle high water very well. We watched Hurricane Isabel's fury from our waterfront home some years back. The neighbor's 36' sailboat weathered the direct hit of the Cat-II+ storm just fine. Not a bit of damage. His brick house right behind it, and all the other houses to its right and left, were total losses. We watched waves crashing into second-floor windows, but that sailboat just rocked and pitched, just as it was designed to do.You might want to have a good protected 'hurricane hole' in mind, like a small, sheltered creek, and some extra stout lines, in case really poor weather threatens, because with high-enough sustained winds, stuff tends to fly around at marinas, including poorly-secured boats!

We are looking at relocating to TN. So any helpful comments are appreciated. Yes I know that if we stay in Florida we can still get flooded out. Just look what happened a month ago right up the road from us. People living in a no flood zone were totally washed away with 12 feet of water. Yes it will flood in Florida. I have also seen the TN river over its banks. Do you just ride it out? Just wondering.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Yupper. We floated away with the dock at Joe Wheeler (Alabama) in the 90s. Dragged the dock anchors. Not a big deal.

Your MUCH better off CONNECTED to a floating dock than fixed.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Thanks everyone for some comments on flooding. Next question> what are some examples on Insurance premiums? Is insurance real costly? What additional as a Liveabord?

the first thing i would think of for living aboard is.......is there anyone else around the docks in the winter and fall? i love boating but if your the only fish in the pond ,it would get kinda dull.thats my only concern. i like to be around alot of people, the more the merrier.

I'm on Percy Priest in Nashville and there's 4 live abords on my dock alone. The next dock over there's at least 5 boats. Then there's 8 more docks that I don't know about. That's just our marina.

Our lake experienced heavy flooding in 2009 and 2010. Those that lived there just stayed abord as usual. Only thing was the bridge that takes them to shore was under water, so the marina management had the rental pontoon boats handy for them to shuttle over to the shore with.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Since Priest is a Corps of Engineers lake, live aboards are against the rules. I know the the Corps rarely enforces those rules, but they can start the enforcement at any time that they want.

I'm live-a-board at 104, Birdsong on the Tennessee river. The Tennessee set record recently but we are all still here. High waters caused a little damage to our dock but none to boats. One 18x60 slip for sale here I think. Pebble Isle @96 has more slips, Cafe and more people, several who are live-a-boards. Pretty rural.

TVA (who controls the Tennessee river) has no specific rules about live aboards. So, any TVA controlled body of water would be a good bet. Of course, they can change their rules at any time.

I notice there was no answer to the insurance premiums question. LOL.... are they that bad for liveaboards ?

+ Reply to Thread