Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Living Aboard

Over the last 20 years, I have had three different houseboats and have never been asked about frequency of use when insuring them. So, I am not sure it makes any difference to your premiums.

I will just betcha money that a large percentage of boaters don't have any insurance at all. I t is pretty darn expensive.
    Is that correct??

Liability only $1,000,000= $126.00 per year, it's a rider on my homeowners insurance.

ours is 450 a year for full coverage.60,000 on the boat,850,000 fuel spills,6000 on contents plus 300,000 on accidents.25,000 medical. plus all the other goodies. you need a recent marine survey.

I would agree that a large percentage of boaters do not have insurance - but, that includes runabouts and such. Other than a few older, smaller steel hulled house boats, everyone I know has insurance on their houseboat. My houseboat insurance is $850 a year.

Hey there EastTNboater! Who's your insurer? Mine is through Ace American. I'm paying ~$1,100 a year. I tried a couple other recently, but they were much higher, so I'm sticking to where I'm at until I find something better.

I don't understand why someone wouldn't insure their houseboat. The simple liability of an accident, injury, or death is enough to send chills up my spine. Peace of mind in this case is a very good thing!

Go Vols!
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

It is with State Farm - along with the rest of my stuff - house, five cars, runabout, jet ski, ... My houseboat is not insured to its "full value". It is insured to what I paid for it. I also have a $2,500 deductible.

One more question . Have you ever asked your insurance company, how far from the dock are you allowed to go??
    Don't even mention the ocean to them or a long trip in strange waters.

Interesting note some of you I notice mention insurance is a rider on your home insurance or you also have a house insured with the same company. I'm just guessing here that the insurer would not consider you a live aboard since you have a house.
    Any live aboard's have input on this insurance question.... as in your boat is your only home.... no dirt dwellings.
    Not that I feel any previous comments are invalid. Just wondering how it goes when you walk in and say home... which is a boat by the way. LOL

42Gibson, Where did you get that coverage from? Ours is substantially more but it could be because of our location n the ICW?

Quote Originally Posted by 42gibson View Post
    ours is 450 a year for full coverage.60,000 on the boat,850,000 fuel spills,6000 on contents plus 300,000 on accidents.25,000 medical. plus all the other goodies. you need a recent marine survey.

+ Reply to Thread