Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FYI on electronics

FYI on electronics

Some may or may not know Navionic's sells a phone app for about $10.00. This is like having a handheld gps, showing you every detail of the water way your on. From channel lanes contour lines bouys, docks all the water way info one needs.

This is a $150 chip for your depth finder, the go to product used by millions of fisherman both pro/sport.

Great insurance if you ever lose your depth finder. All depended on a cell signal.

Did you down load this? If so how is it for inland lakes and can you set marker/ way points for night time piloting. We have a very narrow channel at the upper end of our lake.

I have this app and it is good. I boat on dale hollow and have ATT. So my service is spotty. The app works without service. It will keep you out of the shallows but I would not trust it over a depth gauge . I have been out at night in the fog and it was A life saver. It does not change with winter and summer pool, so you have to make adjustments . I just avoid shollows and all is good.

I use iSailor, and several other apps on my iPad, and for the most part, they work splendidly. Some others I've tried, including the one by NobelTek, I've found expensive, but next to worthless, despite the glitzy iStore promotion. But the really good ones, using the built-in GPS, allow you to plan cruises, rubber-banding from mark to mark, noting charted depths and obstructions, track your path, include your speed made good, show weather, and many other niceties. Some allow you to select Track-up, rather than North-up orientation. Some include downloadable satellite images, highway maps, and USCGS maps, so that the landmarks ashore are obvious. Some of them include detailed information on marinas, anchorages, and current user reports, and include quite accurate anchor alarm. For the cost of the high-memory iPad with built-in GPS, and two or three excellent apps, I could have had half of a low-end dedicated Garmin unit, displayed at half the size and resolution. Hmmm. Tough choice!

Just a quick update. This is an awesome app for $10. Ran it last night and worked flawlessly, very accurate and have almost every house boat on the lake running it.

+ Reply to Thread