Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Galvanic Isolator

Threaded View

Galvanic Isolator

My boat sits in a fresh water covered marina along side tons of other houseboats and cruisers. My boat doesn't have a galvanic isolator. Do I really need one, since I'm in fresh water?

I've seen these things ranging from $155 - $400 for a 50 amp isolator. Seems easy enough to install myself. I'm just wondering if it's worth it or if I'm just parenoid.

Have any of you had any experience with this phenomena of galvanic corrosion in fresh water?
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    If your zincs aren't eroding at a rapid rate and you don't see any evidence of distress around or on your drives, your probably Ok. Are they the norm in your marina? Is anybody complaining about STRAY CURRENTcorosion? Good insurance especially if you slip in strange places if you travel.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

We're on a new dock, so there's lots of empty slips around me, however both slips immediately next to me are late 80s or early 90s model boats. I'm not certain they're electically sound and I don't know if they have isolators or anodes. I have a bunch of marine growth on my outboards, so I'm not certain if the anodes are worn or just caked up with lots of gunk. Same goes for my props, but whatever is on them almost looks like they're etched or something. I think I'm going to replace my anodes 1st and see where that takes me.

Would you suggest magnesium anodes or what? My local store told me I need to get the serial numbers off my motors to order the proper anodes.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Follow motor manufacturer reccommendations. NOTE: Usually there is "NORMAL" practice for the area your boating in. In MOST cases, following local procedures is a good way to go.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

+ Reply to Thread